Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao
Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao
Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao or ARMM was created on August 1, 1989 through Republic Act No. 6734 otherwise known as the Organic Act.
The ARMM (autonomous region in muslim mindanao) was officially inaugurated on November 6, 1990 in Cotabato City, Philippines.
Cotabato City was then designated as its provisional capital. Although, Cotabato City itself is not part of the ARMM (autonomous region in muslim mindanao).
What's the meaning of the word Autonomous?
People talk about the ARMM or The Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao but it is very unfortunate that many people do not know the meaning of the word "autonomous".
- What does the the word Autonomous mean?
- The dictionary defines autonomous as: Independent; self-governing
- Derived from the Greek words: autos = self + nomos = law, rule
- Autonomy = A self-governing community or group
What makes up the ARMM?
The autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao or ARMM is composed of five provinces and one city:
- Basilan Province, Philippines - Included in 2001 except for the City of Isabela
- Lanao del Sur Province, Philippines
- Maguindanao Province, Philippines
- Sulu Province, Philippines
- Tawi-Tawi Province, Philippines
- Marawi City, Lanao del Sur, Philippines - included in 2001
Elected and Appointed Officials of the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao or ARMM
- LIST OF WINNING CANDIDATES IN THE 11 AUGUST 2008 ARMM ELECTIONS.
- Regional Governor: Zaldy Puti Uy Ampatuan
- Regional Vice-Governor: Ansaruddin-Abdul Malik Alonto Adiong
- Basilan Regional Legislative Assemblyman:
- AKBAR, RAJAM MUTAMAD
- ASARUL, NASSER AMIN
- HATAMAN, JUHAN SABBIHI
- Lanao del Sur Regional Legislative Assemblyman
- First District:
- ADIONG, JEHA RACMAN ALONTO
- SALIC, SAMER UMPAR/MAKIL
- SALIC, SUHAYLAH RACMAN-PIMPING MANIRI
- Second District:
- SALIC, RASMIA USMAN ROMATO
- BALINDONG, YASSER ALONTO
- MENOR, ALEXANDER BOLOTO-MALAWANI
- First District:
- Maguindanao Regional Legislative Assemblyman
- DATUMANONG, UMBRAH AMPATUAN
- MANGUDADATU, KHADAFEH GAGUIL
- MENTANG, PIKE TERANDO
- Shariff Kabunsuan Regional Legislative Assemblyman
- SINSUAT, ROONIE QUESADA
- IBAY, CAHAR PENDAT
- TOMAWIS, ABDULRADZAK DAGALANGIT
- Sulu Regional Legislative Assemblyman
- First District:
- TULAWE, NIVOCADNEZER TALIB
- TINGKAHAN, RIZAL JR. ANSONG
- MALDISA, NAHIL HADJAIL
- Second District:
- ESTINO, BENSHAR SALI
- DAUD, NASHRUPER TULAWIE
- ANNI, ABDEL SANGKULA
- First District:
- Tawi-Tawi Regional Legislative Assemblyman
- SAHALI, REJIE MAQUISO
- OMAR, MUSTAPHA JOE
- AHAJA, NUR-MAHADIL KINGKING
Basilan Province and Marawi City Joins the ARMM
Executive Order No. 36 moved Basilan from Region IX and Marawi City from Region XII placing both within Region XV ARMM (autonomous region in muslim mindanao)
Cotabato City is designated as the seat of the ARMM (autonomous region in muslim mindanao) regional government, but the independent chartered City of Cotabato itself is part of Region XII and not part of the ARMM. Cotabato City government officials have been protesting this illegal imposition by the ARMM on their independent chartered city but cannot seem to remove the ARMM representatives operating in their city without fear of terrorism against them. So the legal farce continues...
What is the purpose of the ARMM?
What is the purpose of the ARMM (autonomous region in muslim mindanao)? The armm wants autonomy for the Muslim community in the Philippines and specifically in Muslim Mindanao.
Religion can't claim ancestral domain. Only indigenous people can claim ancestral domain.
Before the Muslims arrived in the Philippines in the 14th century, the Philippines was occupied by indigenous people from Luzon to the Sulu archipelago. So the ancestral domain claim should go to the indigenous people!! Actually why are we calling ourselves indigenous? We are Filipinos! We are not like Australia where the Europeans came and took over and the aborigines became the minority and therefore now must be protected by the indigenous law of Australia. And we are not like Hawaii where it became part of the United States of America and therefore must be protected by the ORGANIC ACT OF HAWAII. We are all Filipinos and therefore must be under one government.
ARMM soon to be BJE or Bangsamoro Juridical Entity
The name Bangsamoro, in the words of President Benigno Aquino III, “symbolizes and honors the struggles of our forebears in Mindanao” and “celebrates the history and character of that part of our nation
The Indigenous People
- In our case, the Philippines is run by Filipinos for Filipinos with various religions, cultures and tribal origins but still Filipinos.
- If you think about it in the context of the new government proposal, we are all indigenous. So, this word "indigenous" does not apply to us Filipinos.
- We are a nation of Filipinos. The blood line of of these indigenous people run through the veins of our people today.
- The Europeans or Americans are not here to rule over us so we may become indigenous.
- We are our own people.
- Muslim is a person who practices the religion of Islam: a good one. But being a Muslim does not make you indigenous. The tribes that were here in the Philippines before the Christians and Muslims came are the indigenous people.
Autonomy for Muslims Only in the Philippines
By creating autonomy for the Muslims only, doesn't that make it prejudicial to the other tausugs, maguindanaons and all other indigenous people who are not Muslims?
Thousands of years before Christianity or Islam settled in this archipelago, (now the Philippines) the indigenous people were here. The blood line of these indigenous people (Subanons, Lutaos, Samals, Bajaus, Tausugs, and Yakans) now run in veins of the people in Mindanao, some of them now Christians, some Muslims, and some belong to other religions. The Muslims arrived in the archipelago (Philippines) in the 14th century. The Christians arrived in the 16th century.
What is your opinion about the idea of an independent state for the Muslims in the Philippines?
There are many pros and cons regarding the idea of autonomy for the Muslims in the Philippines. For those who are indifferent, here is something for you to think about.
Isn't the ARMM like the VATICAN? The Vatican is an independent nation for the Catholics like Iran is an independent state for ISLAM. The Vatican stands alone and so does Iran. The ARMM however, is within the security blanket of the Philippines.
Law That Separates Church and State
Article 2 of the 1987 Constitution of the Philippines declares separation of church and state. Article 3 forbids the government from passing any law concerning religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, guarantees free exercise of religion and forbids the use of any religious test for public office. Churches and religious institutions are tax-exempt. No public money may be spent in support of any religion. The teaching of religious classes in public schools is permitted with the written consent of the parent so long as provided there is no cost to the government. Religious organizations register with the Securities and Exchange Commission to apply for tax exemption.
In 2009 the budget for the ARMM was P9.448 billion.
For 2010 the budget for the ARMM will be P9.435 billion. Yet the ARMM continues to have the poorest areas in the Philippines.
The Philippine government will continue to support the ARMM. Non-Muslim Filipinos are not allowed to participate in the ARMM Muslim affairs while their tax money continue to support the ARMM.
Why is it now Muslim Mindanao?
Article 10 section 1 of the Philippine constitution refers to Mindanao as “Muslim Mindanao”. In Article 10 section 15 it repeats its reference to Mindanao as “Muslim Mindanao”.
If the Muslims do get the autonomy, and therefore self-governed, would they still be part of the Philippines? Would the other religions be welcome in their autonomy or would the others be simply tolerated?
How about government representation? Would non-Muslims be allowed to run for office in the ARMM (autonomous region in muslim mindanao) if the ARMM is still under the Philippine government? Wouldn't that be contradictory to the word autonomy?
If the ARMM is totally self-sustaining, would only Muslims be allowed to run for office? Non-Muslims will not have any representation whatsoever? These questions are directed at Muslims and non-Muslims
What's new with the ARMM?
- Note: This is an opinion of the writer and not of the general public or that of Z-Wiki.
What's new with the ARMM (autonomous region in muslim mindanao)? Currently, the MILF (moro islamic liberation front) and the Philippine government is negotiating to have more provinces and barangays tendered over to the Bangsamoro Juridical Entity. If this negotiation goes through all the domain of the ARMM will pass on to the BJE in effect creating an ISLAM state in Mindanao or Muslim Mindanao as the Philippine constitution calls it. On August 5, 2008, the memorandum of agreement (MOA) to do this was temporarily restrained by the Philippine supreme court.
Right after the temporary restraining order was issued by the supreme court of the Philippines, the MILF (moro islamic liberation front) attacked the Lanao province and parts of Cotabato. A war was ensued immediately between the armed forces of the Philippines and the MILF (moro islamic liberation front). This war lasted for about 3 weeks and of course the military on both sides of the fence have to show that they mean business at the expense of the thousands of innocent people. The people are crying. They do not want war. Civilians are dying! You see, the military on both sides of the fence say, War is not good. So now they are back at the negotiating table.
Did you know that the ARMM (autonomous region in muslim mindanao) created the province of Shariff Kabunsuan Province, Philippines without the approval of the Philippine government in October 29, 2006? However On July 17, 2008, the Supreme Court, in Sema v. Comelec declared the creation of the province of Shariff Kabunsuan void and ruled that the power of ARMM’s legislature to create provinces and cities is unconstitutional.
Questions About the ARMM and the Constitution of the Philippines
- Article 2 section 6 of the Philippine Constitution states:”The separation of Church and State shall be inviolable.”
- Do you think we should uphold the “SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE”?
- If we uphold article II section 6 of the Philippine constitution which is the “Separation of church and state”,
- Doesn’t it make this whole issue of the MOA unconstitutional since the MOA favors only the Muslims?
- Thousands of years before Christianity or Islam settled in this archipelago, (now the Philippines) the indigenous people were here. The blood line of these indigenous people (Subanons, Lutaos, Samals, Bajaus, Tausugs, and Yakans) now run in veins of the people in Mindanao, some of them now Christians, some Muslims, and some belong to other religions. The Muslims arrived in the archipelago (Philippines) in the 14th century. The Christians arrived in the 16th century.
- Do you think the Subanons, Lutaos, Samals, Bajaus, Tausugs, and Yakans have a claim to ancestral domain?
- Do you think the Muslims in Mindanao have a claim to ancestral domain?
- If these tribes (Subanons, Lutaos, Samals, Bajaus, Tausugs, and Yakans) were converted to Christianity instead of Islam, Do you think the government would give Christianity ancestral domain in Mindanao?
- Can a religion claim ancestral domain?
- Article 10 section 1 of the Philippine constitution refers to Mindanao as “Muslim Mindanao”. In Article 10 section 15 it repeats its reference to Mindanao as “Muslim Mindanao”.
- Do you think the “architects” of the 1987 Philippine Constitution sold out Mindanao by referring to it as “Muslim Mindanao”?
- The Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) was created under Republic Act 6734, which followed the direction of Article 10 section 15 of the Philippine Constitution.
- However, isn’t this contradictory to Article 2 section 6 which states: ”The separation of Church and State shall be inviolable.”?
- Isn’t it unconstitutional for the Philippine Government to continue supporting Islam (the Muslims) financially and not any other religion? E.g. OMA (office on Muslim affairs) and the ARMM
This is not the official website of the ARMM
This is not the official website of the ARMM (autonomous region in muslim mindanao) and we do not have all the information about the ARMM in this site. You may search for other sites for information by utilizing the search engines.