Bunguiao Zamboanga City Philippines
98 Barangays of Zamboanga City, Philippines
Arena Blanco • Ayala • Baliwasan • Baluno • Boalan • Bolong • Buenavista • Bunguiao • Busay • Cabaluay • Cabatangan • Cacao • Calabasa • Calarian • Camino Nuevo • Campo Islam • Canelar • Capisan • Cawit • Culianan • Curuan • Daap • Dita • Divisoria • Dulian Bunguiao • Dulian Pasonanca • Guisao • Guiwan • Kasanyangan • La Paz • Labuan • Lamisahan • Landang Gua • Landang Laum • Lanzones • Lapakan • Latuan Curuan • Licomo • Limaong • Limpapa • Lubigan • Lumayang • Lumbangan • Lunzuran • Maasin • Malagutay • Mampang • Manalipa • Mangusu • Manicahan • Mariki • Mercedes • Muti • Pamucutan • Pangapuyan • Panubigan • Pasilmanta • Pasobolong • Pasonanca • Patalon • Putik • Quiniput • Recodo • Rio Hondo • Salaan • San Jose Cawa-Cawa • San Jose Gusu • San Ramon • San Roque • Sangali • Sibulao Curuan • Sinubong • Sinunuc • Sta. Barbara • Sta. Catalina • Sta. Maria • Sto. Niño • Tagasilay • Taguiti • Talabaan • Talisayan • Talon-Talon • Taluksangay • Tetuan • Tictapul • Tigbalabag • Tigtabon • Tolosa • Tugbungan • Tulungatung • Tumaga • Tumalutab • Tumitus • Victoria • Vitali • Zambowood • Zone I • Zone II • Zone III • Zone IV
|Interactive Google Satellite Map of Zamboanga City, Philippines|
Welcome Arch to Bunguiao
Tree House on side of Road. Rice fields on both sides of the road.
Coconuts planted near ricefields
Location of Bunguiao, Zamboanga City
Distance from CITY PROPER: 34.00 Kilometers Location: East Coast - West side of the Highway
- Bunguiao is an interior Barangay located some 3.75 kms. from the national highway at Pamingitan on the boundary shared by Barangays Sangali and Bolong. It is bounded on the north by Barangay Dulian-Bunguiao, on the east by Barangay Bolong, on the south by Barangay Sangali and on the west by the DENR protected areas of Upper Bunguiao.
It consists of five (5) zones, which comprise the Barangay proper and fourteen (14) sitios.
Ninety-five percent (95%) of the population is Roman Catholic and the rest is Muslims. Although religion has never been an issue or source of conflict among the residents, still religious bigotry and prejudice are discouraged. Source: Zamboanga City Government
History of Bunguiao, Zamboanga City
The folklore goes: There was a hunter with a rifle. He shot a wildcat, did not kill it but simply wounded it. The sound of the rifle and the cry of the cat, "Bung" - "Ngiao", became a nick name for the hunter who lived in the area, because he was such a "bad-shot". So whenever anyone was asked where they were heading, and if it's the direction of the hunter's house, they would reply "towards Bung-Ngiao's place". The name stuck.
Bunguiao became a Barangay of Zamboanga City by Virtue of Commonwealth Act No. 39, series of 1937.
The Barangay elected its first Barrio Lieutenant after the enactment of Republic Act 1254 (June 10, 1956). Prior to that year, Bunguiao was under the leadership of a Cabeza del Barrio.
It started as a small community in the late 19th or 20th century. During the 1930’s, Bunguiao had its first community chapel constructed under the able leadership of Mr. Jacinto Lovo. The first chapel was built at Zone 4 area where the present house of Mr. Arturo Pangilinan now stands, and was constructed of light materials of wood and nipa.
When World War II broke out, the chapel was temporarily transferred to Sitio Siguinan on the lot of Mr. Jacinto Lovo. After the war, it was transferred back to its original site. By then, the surrounding area of the chapel became filled with residential houses that.
It was around the 1950’s that the chapel was transferred to its present location on the lot of the late Doña Valeria Camins Paulino, mother of the present Punong Barangay.
Bunguiao became a parish in 1992 and on the same site where the last chapel was built, now stands the Our Lady of Lourdes Parish Church.
Past and Present Barangay heads of Bunguiao
From 1952 up to the present
1. Toribio Natividad Cabeza del Barrio 1952- 1956
2. Anastacio Divinagracia Teniente del Barrio 1956- 1960
3. Teofilo Perez Teniente del Barrio 1960- 1964
4. Macario Basilio Teniente del Barrio 1964- 1968
5. Jesus Salazar Barangay Captain 1968- 2002
6. Col. Armando C. Paulino PAF (Ret.) Barangay Captain 2002- 2007 Source of information: Zamboanga City Government
People of Bunguiao, Zamboanga City
- 2007 Census
- Total Population: 7,978
- Number of Household: 1,345
Local Government Unit LGU of Bunguiao, Zamboanga City
- Elected Officials of Bunguiao for the term of 2010-2013
- Bunguiao, Barangay Chairman, Nestor H. Atilano
- Bunguiao, Kagawad 1, Benjamin S. Francisco Jr.
- Bunguiao, Kagawad 2, Bienvinido I. Tarroza
- Bunguiao, Kagawad 3, Leo A. Resurreccion
- Bunguiao, Kagawad 4, Felina E. Resola
- Bunguiao, Kagawad 5, Albin E. Francisco
- Bunguiao, Kagawad 6, Ester T. Galvez
- Bunguiao, Kagawad 7, Nonito S. Francisco
- Bunguiao, SK Chairman, Alrich E. Francisco
Businesses in Bunguiao, Zamboanga City
- We invite you to list your business located in Bunguiao.
- Give your business a good description. Add your address and contact number if available.
- Resorts, restaurants, pension houses, or hotels are welcome to be listed here.
- Bakery, Mechanical Shop, Bicycle Shop, Tailor shops can be listed here.
- If you have a pharmacy or gas station, it can be listed here too.
- Hardware stores, Agrivets, salon, spas, etc. are welcome to be listed.
- We do not allow external links except for our sponsor zamboanga.com and maletsky.com. If you have an external site for your business you may not link to it in Z-Wiki but you can point to it. e.g. list it like this: www.my??business.com - this tells the people of your website but it does not link to it.
- Businesses in Bunguiao
- The name of your business, address, phone number
Bunguiao, Zamboanga City supports Philippine Cycling
Philippine Cycling is about cycling in the Philippnes. Philippine Cycling helps promote bike races, cycling clubs, bicycle tours, and the development of bicycle trails. Activities are coordinated with bike shops and cycling clubs throughout the Philippines to promote the fun of riding bikes. Philippine Cycling will be coordinating events with tour of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Road biking and mountain bikings will be promoted by Philippine Cycling.
Cycling Activity to Participate In
Tour de Zamboanga 2013: From the 11th of July, 2013 to the 14th of July, 2013. A four day 540 kilometer bicycle race for Charity!
- Due to the road constructions going on in the route of the Tour, we are eliminating the road bikes from this race.
- This is a (Non-Roadbike) individual bicycle race. Everybody is welcome in this race. The more the merrier. Racers who skip a stage will not be allowed to continue. Everybody who finishes the race and does not skip a stage is a winner.
The race starts at the port municipality of Liloy, Zamboanga del Norte and rests in the historical city of Zamboanga del Norte, Dapitan City to end the first stage. The following day the race will continue from Dapitan City to Pagadian City to end the second stage. The 3rd stage will be from Pagadian to Ipil. And finally culminate with the final stage from Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay to Zamboanga City.
Prizes for the Winners and Participants of Tour de Zamboanga
- 80 PRIZES in all to be Given Away. OVER ₱ 782,000.00 pesos in Prizes
- Grand Prize: The overall (liloy, dapitan, pagadian, ipil, zamboanga) first 15 finishers will be based on the overall accumulated time it took to finish the 4 stage race. The racer must finish all stages to qualify for the grand prize.
- The racer with the best accumulated time wins the championship. 1st:50K, 2nd:30K, 3rd:20K, 4th:15K, 5th:10K, 6th:9.5K, 7th:9K, 8th:8.5K, 9th:8K, 10th:7.5K, 11th:7K, 12th:6.5, 13th:6K, 14th:5.5K, 15th:5K
- Every stage has a winner. Prizes will be presented to the first 3 racers to win each stage. 1st:20K, 2nd:15K, 3rd:10K, 4th:6.5K, 5th:6K, 6th:5.5K, 7th:5K, 8th:4.5K, 9th:4K, 10th:3.5K, 11th:3K, 12th:2.5K, 13th:2K, 14th:1.5K, 15th:1K
- The winner of each stage keeps the prize money even if he/she can't continue with the race because of injury or other reasons. But because the racer skipped a stage he/she will not be allowed to continue with the race.
- Besides the Open Category, There are three (3) other competitive categories: (Women; Under 16 years old; 50 years old and over. Prizes for these categories are as follows: 25K 1st, 20K 2nd, 15K 3rd, 10K 4th, 5K 5th. Each Category gets a prize. Prizes given only to finishers of all 4 stages for these 3 categories.
- Finishers of all the 4 stages get a certificate of completion and a refund of their 1,000.00 peso registration fee. If a racer skips a stage he or she is will not be allowed to continue the race. Every finisher of the Tour de Zamboanga is a WINNER!
First Bicycle Race to cover the entire Zamboanga Peninsula
- Due to the election complications in the Zamboanga peninsula, the tour has been postponed to July 11 - July 14 of 2013.
Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur, Zamboanga Sibugay, and Zamboanga City.
- First Stage - July 11, 2013 (Thursday): Liloy to Dapitan City
- 143 Kilometers: This stage of the race does not have many hilly terrains. It will be mostly flat. The roads are cemented.
- Second Stage - July 12, 2013(Friday): Dapitan City to Pagadian City
- 128 Kilometers: The second stage will be more challenging as there will be more hills to climb. About 40% of the terrain will be hilly. It will be on the Osmena Hwy which is almost completely cemented. There are only a few kilometers that are still under construction.
- Third Stage - July 13, 2013 (Saturday): Pagadian City to Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay
- 139 Kilometers: The race from pagadian to Ipil will prove to be a grueling race specially the first 35 kilometers. The first 35 kilometers is about 80% uphill battle.
- Fourth Stage - July 14, 2013 (Sunday): Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay to Divisoria, Zamboanga City
- 130 Kilometers: There are three challenging parts to this section of the race. First challenge is the uphill climb from the border of zamboanga sibugay to the border of zamboanga city (barangay of licomo). After that is the twisty uphill in the barangay of Tigbalabag and finally the quiniput tuktukalaw climb. Then it will be a downhill race to the finish at the barangay of Divisoria.
All Philippine Cyclers are invited to participate in the open bicycle race. It is for a great charitable cause: Project BOSS - Brotherhood Operation Sweet Smile
- Total Distance to be traveled: 540 kilometers or 338 miles - Visit our WebPage
Real Estate for Sale or lease in Bunguiao, Zamboanga City
- If you have real estate property, whether its commercial, residential, farm land, or just an empty lot in Bunguiao, you can list that property for FREE HERE in Z-wiki.
- You can list your House and lot or farm land for sale or lease for free here in Z-Wiki
Religions in Bunguiao, Zamboanga City
- Our Lady of Lourdes Parish - (Founded: 1993)
Schools in Bunguiao, Zamboanga City
- Bunguiao Elementary School
- Bunguiao National High School
Economy of Bunguiao, Zamboanga City
Write Story here
Natural Resources of Bunguiao, Zamboanga City
- Protect the environment
It is sad but true that as of the year 2012 the rivers of the Philippines continue to be the #1 Sewer Systems of the Philippines.
Protect & Save the Rivers. Do not let your sewer drain into the river. Your community can be the first to initiate this project.
Build your riverbank protection with a built-in gutter system. Reforest within Ten Years - Guaranteed!
Let us plant more trees in every barangay in the entire Philippines. It does not make any difference if the barangay is urban, partially urban or rural; we need more trees. Trees will prevent erosion, provide oxygen, prevent green house effect, and even a place of business for the shade tree mechanic.
The Philippines is a tropical country and practically anything will grow. The DENR has the planting trees project that goes on every year. Lots of picture taking for the media. Planting trees one by one is the "human" way of doing it. This individual planting of trees is good if done to "line" the roads and highways with trees or along fences or property divisions, or if you have a plantation.
To reforest the nation of the Philippines we have to plant trees the "mother nature" way. Sow the seeds during the rainy season. Go deep into "bald" forests and plant trees by sowing seeds. If there's not enough volunteers to do this, use the military helicopters to fly over the designated areas and sow the seeds.
Guaranteed within a few years, The Philippines will be lush again. >>Read More
We are using our rivers as our sewer system. If you ask a Filipino, "Are the Filipinos a clean people?" The answer is an automatic, "Yes!". However, the Filipinos are suffering from the same disease or attitude as most people do, and that is the "NIMBY" disease or "NIMBY" attitude. (NIMBY) Not In My Back Yard. So it is OK to dump my garbage and sewer there. Not mine! Someone else will take care of it.
This attitude is killing our rivers. Your great-grandparents, grandparents or parents were once proud to tell the stories of how they enjoyed swimming in the river behind your house or nearby. However, you can't say the same or tell the same stories to your kids or grand kids. Why? Because your generation is killing the river.
- Secretary Ramon J. P. Paje
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Visayas Avenue, Diliman, 1100 Quezon City, Philippines
We have so much water in the Philippines and yet very little to drink.
Instead of relying too much on Diesel fuel and Coal to generate the majority of Philippine's Electrical energy Supply, we can concentrate more on renewable and sustainable source of energy such as: Hydro Power, Solar Power, and Wind Power. We have too many black outs.
Tourists Attractions of Bunguiao, Zamboanga City
Write Story here
Fiestas and Traditions of Bunguiao, Zamboanga City
Fiesta: February 11
Your Story about Bunguiao, Zamboanga City
Submitted_by: Ellie Mamaril Rudd : year 2000
I like surfing the net and it made me sad that Bunguiao has no information or data available. Fortunately my mother is here with me at the moment, by the way I live in Australia. My mother is like a walking history book of Bunguiao she now resides in South San Francisco USA & is presently here with me on holiday and will go back to US via Phil on March2001.
Bunguiao is situated 32 kilometers from the city of Zamboanga and can be reached through a detour between Sanggali and Bolong with a voting population of approximately 7000. Bunguiao is composed of sitios Suiginan, Manga, Licopon, Calingat, Sapa Seco, Campo Lourdes, Waray-waray, Baluno, Nanka, San Isidro and Campo Socorro.
Bunguiao is the chief producer of bananas, coconuts, marang, mangoes, jackfruits and other fruits and vegetables which are sold in the city of Zamboanga. The barangay boasts of the largest number of buses plying back and forth from the city mostly to transport its produces and residents. These buses are very convenient to a large number of employees working in the various government and private offices in the city as well as the adjoining suburbs. Furthermore it is expedient to teachers & students who commutes daily to the different universities and colleges who prefers to live in their own homes rather than staying with relatives or boarding houses.
The barangay of Bunguiao has its own public primary, elementary and high schools as well as daycares and pre-school/kindergarten for the very young.
The site of the Bunguiao Elementary school which is located at the centre of the barangay was donated by the late Dona Valeria Ledesma Camins vda de Paulino as well as the site of the parish church which is about 500 meters from each other.
Religious needs of the predominantly catholic community is provided by the Claretian Fathers headed by Father Emilio Pablo and parish priest Father Jojo. the Claretian community in Bunguiao has two novitiates: one for future priests and another for future nuns who hails from different provinces throughout the Philippines. In fact Father Jojo of Basilan City is a product of this novitiate. Fr Pablo is also the founder and head of the Reflexology Centre composed of seminarians and locals especially trained by him who in return provides free reflexology therapies to the sick and needy in Bunguiao, the city and other surrounding barangays like Dulian, Bolong ect.
Families of Bunguiao, Zamboanga City
List of Families whose names are deeply rooted in the barangay of Bunguiao.
YY | YY | YY | YY | YY
- Do this so your photo upload will be properly categorized for Bunguiao.
- Copy and paste the code below in "GREEN" to the body or "Summary" of the image file that you are uploading.
[[Category:Bunguiao Zamboanga City Photo Gallery]]
[[Category:Zamboanga City Photo Gallery]]
*[[Bunguiao Zamboanga City Philippines]]