Campo Islam Zamboanga City Philippines
98 Barangays of Zamboanga City, Philippines
Arena Blanco • Ayala • Baliwasan • Baluno • Boalan • Bolong • Buenavista • Bunguiao • Busay • Cabaluay • Cabatangan • Cacao • Calabasa • Calarian • Camino Nuevo • Campo Islam • Canelar • Capisan • Cawit • Culianan • Curuan • Daap • Dita • Divisoria • Dulian Bunguiao • Dulian Pasonanca • Guisao • Guiwan • Kasanyangan • La Paz • Labuan • Lamisahan • Landang Gua • Landang Laum • Lanzones • Lapakan • Latuan Curuan • Licomo • Limaong • Limpapa • Lubigan • Lumayang • Lumbangan • Lunzuran • Maasin • Malagutay • Mampang • Manalipa • Mangusu • Manicahan • Mariki • Mercedes • Muti • Pamucutan • Pangapuyan • Panubigan • Pasilmanta • Pasobolong • Pasonanca • Patalon • Putik • Quiniput • Recodo • Rio Hondo • Salaan • San Jose Cawa-Cawa • San Jose Gusu • San Ramon • San Roque • Sangali • Sibulao Curuan • Sinubong • Sinunuc • Sta. Barbara • Sta. Catalina • Sta. Maria • Sto. Niño • Tagasilay • Taguiti • Talabaan • Talisayan • Talon-Talon • Taluksangay • Tetuan • Tictapul • Tigbalabag • Tigtabon • Tolosa • Tugbungan • Tulungatung • Tumaga • Tumalutab • Tumitus • Victoria • Vitali • Zambowood • Zone I • Zone II • Zone III • Zone IV
- This website is interactive unlike most websites of the LGU's (Local Government Units) in the Philippines.
- If you do not have a website yet, no need to create your own community website. We have already done it for you. Just adopt this site then any registered user can maintain the site. No need for special IT training. Most of all zamboanga.com is here to help you. It is all FREE.
- If you already have your own site, use this site as a supplement. You will get more exposure to TOURISTS and INVESTORS. Link to it specially for the barangay pages.
- There are sites out there that will provide you with a free webpage. But then you have to create if from scratch. The site that we provide you already has content. It is not an empty shell.
- Most importantly all the regions, provinces, cities, municipalities, and barangays are linked. Nobody else in the world has this. Nobody!
Location of Campo Islam, Zamboanga City
- Campo Islam is about 3.8 kilometers City Hall
- Area Size in Hectares 26.26
History of Campo Islam, Zamboanga City
The Barangay was founded on August 29, 1935. On that historic day, Governor Frank Murphy declared Lot 290 as Reservation, exclusively for the use of the Moros, under Proclamation No. 841. Lot 290 is the present Campo Islam Panamin or Seaside. The name Campo Islam originated from the native word “Kampung Islam”, which means “Islam Village”.
Later on, then Municipal Government of Zamboanga ordered the resettlement of Muslim dwellers of Magay and Cawa-Cawa to the Reservation (1939-36). The resettlements were headed by several known Muslim leaders then, among those were: Raja Muda Mandi, Datu Facundo, Datu Taupan, and Imam Utama Amping. The strong leadership of these traditional leaders had brought the barrio into a vibrant and well-organized community.
On the other hand, a Muslim chieftain known as Panglima was responsible in the administration of the adjacent communities of Stanvac and Lower Calarian. Notable among those was Panglima Maruji.
On January 1956 by virtue of RA 1408, Imam Utama Amping was elected into office as the first elected Barrio Lieutenant of Campo Islam.
Continuous migration of people from nearby islands and provinces had transformed this community into a vibrant and densely populated Barangay today. Notable among the migrations were: Japanese Occupation, 1940’s; the conflict between the Ilagas and Blackshirt, 1960’s; and the secessionist war of the MNLF against the Philippine government.
Presently, Barangay Campo Islam is subdivided into four (4) sitios, namely: Campo Islam Panamin, Campo Islam Kasalamatan, Stanvac and Lower Calarian. The whole Barangay was declared Industrial Zone under Zoning Ordinance No. 29 of 1978, despite strong objections from the residents.
On April 2004, Zamboanga City was divided into two (2) congressional districts. Barangay Campo Islam became part of the first congressional district or the west coast district, together with 35 more Barangays.
article from: zambaoanga city government
The villagers of this barangay is not originated here, and the true residents of this barangay lived in Boulevard, that was a long time ago, few years, the people of boulevard transfered to this area, before it was known as Campo Islam, the residents of this barangay before were Samals of boulevard (fishermans living by the sea) then when they transfered here in this Area, they elected a barangay leader, it was President Marcos time, they elected Captain Marumin Sampang, a brave and kind police officer of the Area, so the people decided to chose him to be the Barangay captain when Campo Islam was not still build... the image of Campo Islam was a forestlike barangay, it has a swamp in the middle of the area.. and the approximate diameter was 40 meters in diameter... this swamp were useful for them, they use it for their daily living... when Barangay Marumin Sampang observed that the residents of this barangay were multiplying, he ask for a quick action from President Marcos to cover the swamp because it is also risky for the young ones, the government covered it with the old machineries, soils, and sea stones and donated a living needs for the residents, Then when the barangay was fully covered and more spaces where gained, the residents starts to proliferate in each area od the barangay, after a while, there were more friendly people, a peaceful barangay but there were still missing, when the wife of the Barangay Captain went to the pueblo to sell some meriendas, the customers loved her products and one day one of them asked for the place where she lives, she wondered what to say, but then she just said that, "it was a place where old machineries dump is".. the customer didnt get what she said, so she changed the topic because the barangay still doesnt have a name.. until she came back home and asked his husband the Barangay Captain, his husband answered, It is "Panamin" which means "For Reflection" and the people where starts calling it Panamin, until suddenly a Muslim Missionary came in the Barangay and lived here. He was suprised that the people of the barangay is hospitable, well mannered, Respectul and show the humiliation and of the friendly people... he was really impressed and proud to be part of the peaceful barangay... Until one day he proclaimed it to the Barangay Captain Marumin Sampang and showed his inspiration to the Barangay, he asked to change the name and baptized it as "Kampung Islam/Campo Islam" which means PEACEFUL FIELD/CAMP.. until it was declared by the Barangay Captain and the government approved it... Nowadays, the residents are being multiplied but the peacefulness and cheers of the residents are remaining still in the Area, the people are multi-talented and the residents are mixed-matched.... It was a good living are for me and you will like it to be here...
People of Campo Islam, Zamboanga City
Campo Islam is a very small barangay yet it's densely populated. It only has an area of 26.26 hectares with a population of nearly 20,000 people. Most number of the population just migrated to the barangay decades ago.
Local Government Unit LGU of Campo Islam, Zamboanga City
Barangay Elected Officers for the term of 2010-2013
- Campo Islam, Barangay Chairman, Datu Ahmad Narzad K. Sampang
- Campo Islam, Kagawad 1, Habib Faizal B. Jamalul
- Campo Islam, Kagawad 2, Hji. Safari S. Taradji
- Campo Islam, Kagawad 3, Nazhive T. Jikiri
- Campo Islam, Kagawad 4, Yacob M. Amsan
- Campo Islam, Kagawad 5, Abdulmutalib H. Usab
- Campo Islam, Kagawad 6, Hji. Nader M. Jalani
- Campo Islam, Kagawad 7, Nuridjam K. Abdula
- Campo Islam, SK Chairman, Sitti Nur-Mariam S. Sampang
Businesses in Campo Islam, Zamboanga City
- We invite you to list your business located in Campo Islam.
- Give your business a good description. Add your address and contact number if available.
- Resorts, restaurants, pension houses, or hotels are welcome to be listed here.
- Bakery, Mechanical Shop, Bicycle Shop, Tailor shops can be listed here.
- If you have a pharmacy or gas station, it can be listed here too.
- Hardware stores, Agrivets, salon, spas, etc. are welcome to be listed.
- We do not allow external links except for our sponsor zamboanga.com and maletsky.com. If you have an external site for your business you may not link to it in Z-Wiki but you can point to it. e.g. list it like this: www.my??business.com - this tells the people of your website but it does not link to it.
- Businesses in Campo Islam
- The name of your business, address, phone number
Campo Islam, Zamboanga City supports Philippine Cycling
Philippine Cycling is about cycling in the Philippnes. Philippine Cycling helps promote bike races, cycling clubs, bicycle tours, and the development of bicycle trails. Activities are coordinated with bike shops and cycling clubs throughout the Philippines to promote the fun of riding bikes. Philippine Cycling will be coordinating events with tour of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Road biking and mountain bikings will be promoted by Philippine Cycling.
Cycling Activity to Participate In
Tour de Zamboanga 2013: From the 11th of July, 2013 to the 14th of July, 2013. A four day 540 kilometer bicycle race for Charity!
- Due to the road constructions going on in the route of the Tour, we are eliminating the road bikes from this race.
- This is a (Non-Roadbike) individual bicycle race. Everybody is welcome in this race. The more the merrier. Racers who skip a stage will not be allowed to continue. Everybody who finishes the race and does not skip a stage is a winner.
The race starts at the port municipality of Liloy, Zamboanga del Norte and rests in the historical city of Zamboanga del Norte, Dapitan City to end the first stage. The following day the race will continue from Dapitan City to Pagadian City to end the second stage. The 3rd stage will be from Pagadian to Ipil. And finally culminate with the final stage from Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay to Zamboanga City.
Prizes for the Winners and Participants of Tour de Zamboanga
- 80 PRIZES in all to be Given Away. OVER ₱ 782,000.00 pesos in Prizes
- Grand Prize: The overall (liloy, dapitan, pagadian, ipil, zamboanga) first 15 finishers will be based on the overall accumulated time it took to finish the 4 stage race. The racer must finish all stages to qualify for the grand prize.
- The racer with the best accumulated time wins the championship. 1st:50K, 2nd:30K, 3rd:20K, 4th:15K, 5th:10K, 6th:9.5K, 7th:9K, 8th:8.5K, 9th:8K, 10th:7.5K, 11th:7K, 12th:6.5, 13th:6K, 14th:5.5K, 15th:5K
- Every stage has a winner. Prizes will be presented to the first 3 racers to win each stage. 1st:20K, 2nd:15K, 3rd:10K, 4th:6.5K, 5th:6K, 6th:5.5K, 7th:5K, 8th:4.5K, 9th:4K, 10th:3.5K, 11th:3K, 12th:2.5K, 13th:2K, 14th:1.5K, 15th:1K
- The winner of each stage keeps the prize money even if he/she can't continue with the race because of injury or other reasons. But because the racer skipped a stage he/she will not be allowed to continue with the race.
- Besides the Open Category, There are three (3) other competitive categories: (Women; Under 16 years old; 50 years old and over. Prizes for these categories are as follows: 25K 1st, 20K 2nd, 15K 3rd, 10K 4th, 5K 5th. Each Category gets a prize. Prizes given only to finishers of all 4 stages for these 3 categories.
- Finishers of all the 4 stages get a certificate of completion and a refund of their 1,000.00 peso registration fee. If a racer skips a stage he or she is will not be allowed to continue the race. Every finisher of the Tour de Zamboanga is a WINNER!
First Bicycle Race to cover the entire Zamboanga Peninsula
- Due to the election complications in the Zamboanga peninsula, the tour has been postponed to July 11 - July 14 of 2013.
Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur, Zamboanga Sibugay, and Zamboanga City.
- First Stage - July 11, 2013 (Thursday): Liloy to Dapitan City
- 143 Kilometers: This stage of the race does not have many hilly terrains. It will be mostly flat. The roads are cemented.
- Second Stage - July 12, 2013(Friday): Dapitan City to Pagadian City
- 128 Kilometers: The second stage will be more challenging as there will be more hills to climb. About 40% of the terrain will be hilly. It will be on the Osmena Hwy which is almost completely cemented. There are only a few kilometers that are still under construction.
- Third Stage - July 13, 2013 (Saturday): Pagadian City to Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay
- 139 Kilometers: The race from pagadian to Ipil will prove to be a grueling race specially the first 35 kilometers. The first 35 kilometers is about 80% uphill battle.
- Fourth Stage - July 14, 2013 (Sunday): Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay to Divisoria, Zamboanga City
- 130 Kilometers: There are three challenging parts to this section of the race. First challenge is the uphill climb from the border of zamboanga sibugay to the border of zamboanga city (barangay of licomo). After that is the twisty uphill in the barangay of Tigbalabag and finally the quiniput tuktukalaw climb. Then it will be a downhill race to the finish at the barangay of Divisoria.
All Philippine Cyclers are invited to participate in the open bicycle race. It is for a great charitable cause: Project BOSS - Brotherhood Operation Sweet Smile
- Total Distance to be traveled: 540 kilometers or 338 miles - Visit our WebPage
Real Estate for Sale or lease in Campo Islam, Zamboanga City
- If you have real estate property, whether its commercial, residential, farm land, or just an empty lot in Campo Islam, you can list that property for FREE HERE in Z-wiki.
- You can list your House and lot or farm land for sale or lease for free here in Z-Wiki
Religions in Campo Islam, Zamboanga City
Kampung Islam,as it name implies most of the population do follow islam religion.
Schools in Campo Islam, Zamboanga City
- John Spirig Sr. Memorial Elementary School
- J-Jireh School
Economy of Campo Islam, Zamboanga City
Most of the population in this barangay do make themselves busy by sailing and fishing and sells the fish at a very economical price, there also people who goes for business like selling fruits that they got from their provinces.
But recently after learning that education has high chances of making their lives comfortable,they now give priority in sending their kids to school to study and get a good job.
Priority courses that students of this barangay are Bachelor of Science in Nursing;Med Techbnology;Rad Technology;BS Criminology;BS Education-for some who can afford taking another course priority courses are Masteral,Doctor in Medicine,and Law.
Natural Resources of Campo Islam, Zamboanga City
- Protect the environment
It is sad but true that as of the year 2012 the rivers of the Philippines continue to be the #1 Sewer Systems of the Philippines.
Protect & Save the Rivers. Do not let your sewer drain into the river. Your community can be the first to initiate this project.
Build your riverbank protection with a built-in gutter system. Reforest within Ten Years - Guaranteed!
Let us plant more trees in every barangay in the entire Philippines. It does not make any difference if the barangay is urban, partially urban or rural; we need more trees. Trees will prevent erosion, provide oxygen, prevent green house effect, and even a place of business for the shade tree mechanic.
The Philippines is a tropical country and practically anything will grow. The DENR has the planting trees project that goes on every year. Lots of picture taking for the media. Planting trees one by one is the "human" way of doing it. This individual planting of trees is good if done to "line" the roads and highways with trees or along fences or property divisions, or if you have a plantation.
To reforest the nation of the Philippines we have to plant trees the "mother nature" way. Sow the seeds during the rainy season. Go deep into "bald" forests and plant trees by sowing seeds. If there's not enough volunteers to do this, use the military helicopters to fly over the designated areas and sow the seeds.
Guaranteed within a few years, The Philippines will be lush again. >>Read More
We are using our rivers as our sewer system. If you ask a Filipino, "Are the Filipinos a clean people?" The answer is an automatic, "Yes!". However, the Filipinos are suffering from the same disease or attitude as most people do, and that is the "NIMBY" disease or "NIMBY" attitude. (NIMBY) Not In My Back Yard. So it is OK to dump my garbage and sewer there. Not mine! Someone else will take care of it.
This attitude is killing our rivers. Your great-grandparents, grandparents or parents were once proud to tell the stories of how they enjoyed swimming in the river behind your house or nearby. However, you can't say the same or tell the same stories to your kids or grand kids. Why? Because your generation is killing the river.
- Secretary Ramon J. P. Paje
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Visayas Avenue, Diliman, 1100 Quezon City, Philippines
We have so much water in the Philippines and yet very little to drink.
Instead of relying too much on Diesel fuel and Coal to generate the majority of Philippine's Electrical energy Supply, we can concentrate more on renewable and sustainable source of energy such as: Hydro Power, Solar Power, and Wind Power. We have too many black outs.
Tourists Attractions of Campo Islam, Zamboanga City
Write Story here
Fiestas and Traditions of Campo Islam, Zamboanga City
Barangay Fiesta: It does not celebrate Barangay fiesta as the inhabitants are predominantly Muslims (75%). Festivities are observed in the celebration during the Hariraya Ei’dil Fitri as the culmination of the Holy Month of Ramadan.
Your Story about Campo Islam, Zamboanga City
Campo Islam, along with Taluksangay, Rio Hondo and Recodo, is among the oldest muslim communities in this city which antedate to the time of the old Moro Province of Mindanao.
During the spanish era, my ancestors originally lived in Magay, this city, But when the Christian settlers arrived and increased in number, they were displaced from their homes and forced to moved to Cawa-Cawa (now R.T.Lim boulevard) to established new settlement, where they lived up to the coming of the American regime. Then, somewhere in the year 1903, they had again to give way, when Governor General Frank Murphy issued a proclamation establishing the Moro Settlement at Punta Gavilan (now called Campo Islam) to which this people once more were ordered to resettled themselves. Until the establishment of this Moro Settlement at Punta Gavilan or Campo Islam. it has been a continuous odyssey on the part of this muslim community - and, like the Biblical people of Israel under Moses, my ancestors under the leadership of Imam Amping Uttama have been subjected to the same travails and hardships of having to move from one place to another, like a lost nation in quest of a land they could call their own.
With the establishment of this Moro Settlement at Campo Islam, where they lived from 1903 to the present, this people thought that, at last,they have reached the end of their long journey and they have found a place in their own country where they can live,undisturbed and unmolested.
Then in 1969, Secretary Manuel Elizalde, Jr. of PANAMIN (Presidential Assistance on National Minorities) an agency under the office of the president came to this settlement and promised to reclaimed a portion of their land from the sea and to built them new homes to make their lives more comfortable, they felt very happy and very grateful that at last, after being forgotten and neglected for so long a time, the government has at last proved its sincerity to look after the welfare and interest of the Muslim Filipinos.
Their high hopes and beautiful dreams were short-lived. After reclaiming a portion of their lands from the sea, the PANAMIN abandoned its worked and completely forgotten to redeem its pledge to build new homes for them. But as good citizens, they did not complained, satisfied at the thought that having a settlement they can call their own was good enough for a people whose ancestors in the historical past,had to incessantly move and transfer from one place to another like proverbial nomads.
Families of Campo Islam, Zamboanga City
List of Families whose names are deeply rooted in Campo Islam.
Abubakar | Ambali | Amping | Bulagas | Daggung | [[Dalawis]] | Datu Facundo | Jukni | Jamaldin | Mandi | [[Mustafa]] Dandan Mustafa son of sheikh abusuud bin ahmed mustafa married the beautiful lady by the name of Salip Salkiya Tulino.And had 2 sons and 8 daughters namely Dayhana Mustafa Lim; Daliya Mustafa Katibin;Raquiba Tulino Mustafa;Julpa Mustafa Arasain;Khatiba Tulino Mustafa;Saida Mustafa Tahil;Aida Mustafa Sawadjaan and Naema Tulino Mustafa.The Two boys died when they were young.
- Do this so your photo upload will be properly categorized for Campo Islam.
- Copy and paste the code below in "GREEN" to the body or "Summary" of the image file that you are uploading.
[[Category:Campo Islam Zamboanga City Photo Gallery]]
[[Category:Zamboanga City Photo Gallery]]
*[[Campo Islam Zamboanga City Philippines]]