Cawit Zamboanga City Philippines
98 Barangays of Zamboanga City within Region 9 - Mindanao in the Republic of The Philippines
Arena Blanco • Ayala • Baliwasan • Baluno • Boalan • Bolong • Buenavista • Bunguiao • Busay • Cabaluay • Cabatangan • Cacao • Calabasa • Calarian • Camino Nuevo • Campo Islam • Canelar • Capisan • Cawit • Culianan • Curuan • Daap • Dita • Divisoria • Dulian Bunguiao • Dulian Pasonanca • Guisao • Guiwan • Kasanyangan • La Paz • Labuan • Lamisahan • Landang Gua • Landang Laum • Lanzones • Lapakan • Latuan Curuan • Licomo • Limaong • Limpapa • Lubigan • Lumayang • Lumbangan • Lunzuran • Maasin • Malagutay • Mampang • Manalipa • Mangusu • Manicahan • Mariki • Mercedes • Muti • Pamucutan • Pangapuyan • Panubigan • Pasilmanta • Pasobolong • Pasonanca • Patalon • Putik • Quiniput • Recodo • Rio Hondo • Salaan • San Jose Cawa-Cawa • San Jose Gusu • San Ramon • San Roque • Sangali • Sibulao Curuan • Sinubong • Sinunuc • Sta. Barbara • Sta. Catalina • Sta. Maria • Sto. Niño • Tagasilay • Taguiti • Talabaan • Talisayan • Talon-Talon • Taluksangay • Tetuan • Tictapul • Tigbalabag • Tigtabon • Tolosa • Tugbungan • Tulungatung • Tumaga • Tumalutab • Tumitus • Victoria • Vitali • Zambowood • Zone I • Zone II • Zone III • Zone IV
We ask the Barangay Chairman, to please Help update his/her barangay webpage with information updates or Picture Uploads to promote tourism and attract investors.
Replace with your Barangay Seal Picture
Replace with your Barangay Hall Picture
In as few as 45 minutes a child or anyone can be saved from a lifetime of pain, shame and isolation. You can give them a chance to go to school, make friends and have a bright future. For as little as 100 pesos you can help provide a surgery for a child suffering from a cleft palate or cleft lip(harelip).
One act of random kindness at a time.Visit our website: B.O.S.S.
Location of Cawit, Zamboanga City
- Distance from CITY PROPER: 13.35 Km.
- Location: West Coast
- Estimated 20 minutes ride to reach from the city.
Cawit is a shoreline Barangay. It's neighboring Barangays are Maasin (east), Tulungatung (north) and Recodo (west). If you are driving on the highway to Cawit you will first come through Maasin and then you will see the welcome sign of the Cawit Barangay. While still in Cawit and heading north you will see the Baradero de Recodo to the left. Makes you wonder why they call it Baradero de Recodo when in fact it is in Cawit. The Baradero is where most of the ship repairs are done here in Zamboanga City.
Some areas are situated along the highway and seashore, and the rest in wooded areas of plain and uplands.
The residents are engaged in farming and livestock raising and some are skilled fishermen who always have good catch from the rich marine sources.
- article: from LGU of Cawit
History of Cawit, Zamboanga City
By virtue of the passage of Commonwealth Act No. 39, s. 1937, the community of Cawit became a Barangay. It is one of the 98 Barangays of Zamboanga City.
Barangay Cawit has an amusing tale regarding how it got its name "Cawit". Some old folks still recall the stories of their ancestors who resided in this place way back to the Spanish regime. This place is along the seashore on the southern side before and as it is now.
The story happened that one day, during the earlier period of Spanish arrival in Zamboanga Peninsula, there were some Spanish sailors who came to this place while their ship were anchored nearby. They strolled in the seashore planted with coconut trees and rested under a big mango tree.
Some natives passed by. They are individuals who climb coconut trees or pulling down coconuts or "taga-kawit" of coconuts. The Spaniards asked them in Spanish about the name of the place. The natives thought they were being asked about their work and answered "taga-kawit" pointing to the coconut trees. The Spaniards answered: "Si, Si" thinking it was the name of the place. They rode back on the "bancas" piloted by local natives to their ship.
Other Spanish sailors asked them where they came from and said "Cawit-Cawit" and pointed to this place and told the other natives that the white men or Spaniards call this place "Cawit". The name stuck and spread and from generation to generation it has been called "Cawit".
Another short version is about newcomers to the place. Coming from the city proper going to the west coast, while they were still in Barangay Maasin, they always say, that place ahead is curving like "cawit". This was also a source of reference for those referring to the place where Barangay Cawit is located.
Barangay Cawit viewed from the open sea, the Basilan Strait on the south, is a beautiful community with some inhabitants residing on its shores and with a natural background of some ascending terrain and uplands. The place is verdant as one goes into the interior where a clear brook runs downward.
- article: from the LGU of Cawit
- note: comments are welcome - the previous comment was transferred to the Cawit comments section.
People of Cawit, Zamboanga City
- (2007 Census)
- Total population: 9,305
- Number of Household: 740
- Population as of May 1, 2010 Census: 9,124
Elected Government Officials of Cawit, Zamboanga City
- Elected Officers for the term of 2013 - 2016
- Punong Barangay Chairman/Captain : Modillas, Rey Paglinawan
- Barangay Kagawad Molina, Serbelio Tolentino
- Barangay Kagawad Canaway, Pacita Garcia
- Barangay Kagawad Ungab, Cosme Jr. Arapoc
- Barangay Kagawad Cawit, Asady Bucoy
- Barangay Kagawad Sta. Teresa, Marjorie Jorillo
- Barangay Kagawad Askali, Mohammad Amin Hayudini
- Barangay Kagawad Lukman, Arasid Saraban
- Elected Officers for the term of 2010 - 2013
- Cawit, Barangay Chairman, Rey P. Modillas
- Cawit, Kagawad 1, Serbelio T. Molina
- Cawit, Kagawad 2, Ervin G. Molina
- Cawit, Kagawad 3, Pacita G. Canaway
- Cawit, Kagawad 4, Gerardo Y. Ganih
- Cawit, Kagawad 5, Noning R. Antonio
- Cawit, Kagawad 6, Marjorie J. Sta. Teresa
- Cawit, Kagawad 7, Asady B. Cawit
- Cawit, SK Chairman, Margie M. Saavedra
Businesses in Cawit, Zamboanga City
- We invite you to list your business located in Cawit.
- Give your business a good description. Add your address and contact number if available.
- Resorts, restaurants, pension houses, or hotels are welcome to be listed here.
- Bakery, Mechanical Shop, Bicycle Shop, Tailor shops can be listed here.
- If you have a pharmacy or gas station, it can be listed here too.
- Hardware stores, Agrivets, salon, spas, etc. are welcome to be listed.
- We do not allow external links except for our sponsor zamboanga.com and maletsky.com. If you have an external site for your business you may not link to it in Z-Wiki but you can point to it. e.g. list it like this: www.my??business.com - this tells the people of your website but it does not link to it.
- Businesses in Cawit
- The name of your business, address, phone number
Cawit, Zamboanga City supports Philippine Cycling
Philippine Cycling is about cycling in the Philippnes. Philippine Cycling helps promote bike races, cycling clubs, bicycle tours, and the development of bicycle trails. Activities are coordinated with bike shops and cycling clubs throughout the Philippines to promote the fun of riding bikes. Philippine Cycling will be coordinating events with tour of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Road biking and mountain bikings will be promoted by Philippine Cycling.
Cycling Activity to Participate In
Your cycling activity can be posted here and it will be shown in all the Provincial, City, Municipal and Barangay pages. Your 2015 Cycling Race or Activity can be Posted here.
- CYCLING Le Tour de Filipinas 2015 set as country celebrates 60 years of top-caliber cycling Feb 1 to Feb 4 2015: LE Tour de Filipinas (LtDF) breaks decades of summer tradition but returns to a familiar and historic culminating stage as it holds its sixth edition in 2015, highlighting 60 years of the Tour in the country. From the traditional schedule that made the Tour the country’s summer sports spectacle on wheels for two generations, the 2015 LtDF kicks off February 1 and ends February 4 again atop the Cordilleras at the Burnham Park in Baguio City. Read More >>>
- Ronda Pilipinas: Feb 8 - 27 2015:>> Discovering young riders for the national team will be the main objective of the LBC Ronda Pilipinas 2015 when the country’s premiere cycling race hits the road on Feb. 8 in Butuan City. Ronda Pilipinas executive project director Moe Chulani said the international multistage bikathon, which ends on Feb. 27, will have two qualifying legs of four stages each in Mindanao and the Visayas where the top riders will advance to face a tough foreign challenge in the six-stage Luzon finale. Read More>>>
Real Estate or Properties for Sale or lease in Cawit, Zamboanga City
- If you have real estate property, whether its commercial, residential, farm land, or just an empty lot in Cawit, you can list that property for FREE HERE in Z-wiki.
- You can list your House and lot or farm land for sale or lease for free here in Z-Wiki
Religions in Cawit, Zamboanga City
Write Story here
Schools in Cawit, Zamboanga City
Write Story here
Economy of Cawit, Zamboanga City
Write Story here
Natural Resources of Cawit, Zamboanga City
- Protect the environment
It is sad but true that as of the year 2012 the rivers of the Philippines continue to be the #1 Sewer Systems of the Philippines.
Protect & Save the Rivers. Do not let your sewer drain into the river. Your community can be the first to initiate this project.
Build your riverbank protection with a built-in gutter system. Reforest within Ten Years - Guaranteed!
Let us plant more trees in every barangay in the entire Philippines. It does not make any difference if the barangay is urban, partially urban or rural; we need more trees. Trees will prevent erosion, provide oxygen, prevent green house effect, and even a place of business for the shade tree mechanic.
The Philippines is a tropical country and practically anything will grow. The DENR has the planting trees project that goes on every year. Lots of picture taking for the media. Planting trees one by one is the "human" way of doing it. This individual planting of trees is good if done to "line" the roads and highways with trees or along fences or property divisions, or if you have a plantation.
To reforest the nation of the Philippines we have to plant trees the "mother nature" way. Sow the seeds during the rainy season. Go deep into "bald" forests and plant trees by sowing seeds. If there's not enough volunteers to do this, use the military helicopters to fly over the designated areas and sow the seeds.
Guaranteed within a few years, The Philippines will be lush again. >>Read More
We are using our rivers as our sewer system. If you ask a Filipino, "Are the Filipinos a clean people?" The answer is an automatic, "Yes!". However, the Filipinos are suffering from the same disease or attitude as most people do, and that is the "NIMBY" disease or "NIMBY" attitude. (NIMBY) Not In My Back Yard. So it is OK to dump my garbage and sewer there. Not mine! Someone else will take care of it.
This attitude is killing our rivers. Your great-grandparents, grandparents or parents were once proud to tell the stories of how they enjoyed swimming in the river behind your house or nearby. However, you can't say the same or tell the same stories to your kids or grand kids. Why? Because your generation is killing the river.
- Secretary Ramon J. P. Paje
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Visayas Avenue, Diliman, 1100 Quezon City, Philippines
We have so much water in the Philippines and yet very little to drink.
Instead of relying too much on Diesel fuel and Coal to generate the majority of Philippine's Electrical energy Supply, we can concentrate more on renewable and sustainable source of energy such as: Hydro Power, Solar Power, and Wind Power. We have too many black outs.
Tourists Attractions of Cawit, Zamboanga City
Write Story here
Fiestas and Traditions of Cawit, Zamboanga City
Barangay Fiesta: every last Saturday of October
Your Story about Cawit, Zamboanga City
Create you own personal page about the barangay in the municipality or City you live in. Title it like so: "Mybarangay, MyCityMunicipality, Myprovince, Philippines by MyFirstname Mylastname". You can update and edit this page anytime and anyway you want. It does not have to follow the standard format of the main wiki. It is your page. A link to your page will be inserted in this main barangay page. Here is an example page.
You can talk about your personal experiences, your advocacies, the environmental conditions of your barangay, municipality, city or province.
Families of Cawit, Zamboanga City
List of Families whose names are deeply rooted in Cawit.
NameAA | NameBB | NameCC | NameDD | NameEE
- Do this so your photo upload will be properly categorized for Cawit.
- Copy and paste the code below in "GREEN" to the body or "Summary" of the image file that you are uploading.
[[Category:Cawit Zamboanga City Photo Gallery]]
[[Category:Zamboanga City Photo Gallery]]
*[[Cawit Zamboanga City Philippines]]
Most of the contents in this site are taken from the Department of Tourism, Comelec, National Statistical Coordination Board, DILG: Department of the Interior and Local Government, (LGU) government sites, online news, and other content sites about the specific community. This page does not serve as the official website of the community but rather compliments and helps the community to promote tourism and attract investors.
This is an interactive and collaborative webpage, meant to help promote this community and showcase it to the world via the internet.
This wiki page follows a format. The editor of this wiki page reserves the right to change formats, edit, or delete entries that may be considered as offensive, vulgar or not for the betterment of this wiki page.