College of Nursing (Western Mindanao State University)
WMSU's College of Nursing was created in 1974 and has since enjoyed the reputation as one of the best schools of nursing in the region. It has started with the offering of the standard nursing curriculum but has since branched to a graduate program in nursing and a nursing curriculum as a second course.
- Established: October 17, 1973
- Dean: Gloria G. Florendo, R.N., M.N., Ph.D.
- Associate Dean: Vicente J. Gaan
- BSN Program Head: Prof. Mary Joselyn C. Biong
- Community & Extension Services Coordinator: Prof. Miriam 0. Kanti
- Academic staff: ?
- Administrative staff: ?
- Students: ~3100
- Undergraduates: ~3000
- Postgraduates: ~100
- Location: Normal Road, Baliwasan, Zamboanga City
- Former names: Department of Nursing, Zamboanga State College
- Colors: Green, Gold, White
- Mascot: Juggernauts
- College Hymn:
- Official website: http://www.wmsu.edu.ph/?college_info=10 NOT UPDATED
- Telephone: 011 63(62)990 2706
- Fax: 011 63(62)
…center of distinctive nursing education fostering the development of graduates, who are values-oriented, socially responsive and globally competitive
…Development of perceptive, caring, ethically responsible and innovative nurses.
The Seal and WMSU-CN Nurse Pin
- Write the meaning of the seal
- The use of the WMSU-CN Nurse Pin identifies the wearer as a graduate of Western Mindanao State University College of Nursing. Upon graduation, the WMSU-CN Nurse Pin is bestowed upon the graduating student nurses in a Pinning Ceremony. This symbolizes that the student nurse has satisfactorily completed her training and is now ready to work as a professional nurse. The Directors of the Nursing Service of the different affiliated hospitals as well as the College's faculty members present the pin to the graduating nurses
- Write the meaning of the WMSU-CN Nurse Pin
College of Nursing Hymn
Due to the great demand for competent nurses locally and internationally, the Zamboanga State College (ZCS) under the Presidency of Mrs. Ignacia B. Olaso ventured in offering a 5- year degree program leading to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing, which was approved per Board of reagent resolution No. 78. On October 17, 1973 during the 58th Board Meeting of the Board of Trustees of the ZCS.
However, as early as 1970, the Department of Nursing was already offering the 2- year Pre-Nursing Program.
With the early announcement that soon the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program will be approved, the first year pre-nursing class of 1972 proceeded to its second year pre-nursing in 1973.
On June 25, 1974, the affiliation with the Zamboanga General Hospital (now Zamboanga City Medical Center) was approved. While the SouthCom Hospital (now Camp Navarro General Hospital) accepted to be the base training hospital of the institute.
On July 11, 1974, the appointment of the first clinical instructor, in the person of Mrs. Rosella A. Uro, was approved. Regular classes started that day with 23 students enrolled in BSN program. Classes were held in one of the rooms of the Graduate School Building later transferred to the Home Economics Building (now CN Library).
The Department of Nursing was converted to an Institute of Nursing in 1974 per Board Regent Resolution No. 69, Mrs. Rosella A. Uro was designated Head of the Institute on the same year. Part time instructors were hired. They were:
- Jose Maria Lucas, M.D.—Anatomy and Physiology
- Francisco Barrios, M.D. Microbiology
- Mrs. Teodora Calderon- Nursing Jurisprudence
The Professional Regulation Commission, Board of Nursing inspected the institute in September 3-4 1974. The findings of the evaluation revealed a very satisfactory status. With this finding, they recommended for the opening of the BSN Special/ Supplemental program.
Second semester, Nov. 1974, another set of Clinical Instructors were hired to teach major classroom subjects and clinical related learning experiences.
- Mrs. Ester Parel—Medical and Communication Diseases Nursing
- Mrs. Myrna Cabato—Surgical Nursing
Early 1975, the next set of instructors came in, they were:
- Mrs. Crispina Reyes—mental Health psychiatric Nursing
- Mrs. Enriqueta Perez—Maternal and Child Nursing and Community Health Nursing
With the dynamic leadership of the head of the institute and fervent dedication and the commitment of the faculty, the Golden Pioneer students sweat it out and moved on to receive their nursing caps during the First Cap and candlelight Ceremony held on Oct. 19, 1974, at the ZCS Social Hall.
In June 1975, the BSN Supplemental Program was opened. Thirty registered nurses, who are GN graduated, enrolled under this program. Another pair of Clinical Instructors was hired in 1976:
- Mrs. Rosalia Reyes
- Mrs. Emerita Agustin
The Golden Pioneer Class successfully hurdled all their obstacles and finally received their nurse’s pin and PIN-RING and Recognition Ceremony on March 23, 1977 held at the Open Stage of the ZCS.
By virtue of the Pres. Decree 1427, signed by Pres. Marcos on June 10, 1978, converting ZCS to the Western Mindanao State University and the Institute of Nursing was also transformed into the College of Nursing.
Level II (Re-accredited) Valid: Feb. 16, 2009 - Feb. 15, 2013 by Accrediting Agency of Chartered Colleges and Universities in the Philippines, Inc. (AACCUP)
- UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAMS:
- BACCALAUREATE COURSES:
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Special Program for Registered Nurses - BSN
- GRADUATE PROGRAMS:
- Master of Arts in Nursing (M.A.N.)
- Major Fields:
- Master of Arts in Nursing (M.A.N.)
- Medical Surgical Nursing
- Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing
- Maternal and Child Health Nursing
- Community Health Nursing and Communicable Diseases Nursing
- Non-Degree Programs:
- Professional Master in Nursing Certificate (PMNC)
Related Learning Experience
The student nurses are exposed to various nursing areas in their related learning experience. The following are the affiliated hospitals and health facilities:
- Camp Navarro General Hospital
- Ciudad Medical Zamboanga
- Mindanao Sanitarium Hospital
- Puericulture Lying-in Maternity Hospital
- Western Mindanao Medical Center
- Zamboanga City Medical Center (Primary affiliate)
For their Community Health Nursing, each year level have selected a rural barangay to adopt as their training area. <!> Affiliated hospitals and health facilities outside of Zamboanga City:
- Aurora General Hospital
- Margos sa Tubig Regional Hospital
- Pagadian Regional Medical Center
Performance in the Philippine Nursing Licensure Examination (NLE)
The WMSU-College of Nursing has a long record of high passing percentage and a several top-notchers in the Nursing Licensure Examination. <!> Below is the partial list of the performance of the college in the nursing licensure examination:
- fill in dates and percentages
Below is the partial list of the performance of the college top-notchers in the nursing licensure examination:
- DECEMBER 2007 - 7th Place - ROSEMARIE LU GO 85.80%
- PRIME MOVER: THE OFFICIAL PUBLICATION OF Western Mindanao State University - College of Nursing
Clubs and Organizations
- Juggernaut Cheer-dance team/Pep Squad
- Philippine Association of Male Nursing Students (PAMANS)
- Synapse - Chorale Club of the CN
- facebook account - http://www.facebook.com/pages/College-of-Nursing-WMSU/204127416273350
Anastacia Giron Tupas Awardees
The following WMSU-CN Nurses were awarded the highest award for the nursing profession in the Philippines.
- Milabel E. Ho, R.N., MAEd, MAN, Ed.D. - 2007
Government Service & Military
- Milabel E. Ho, R.N., MAEd, MAN, Ed.D.
- She is the former Chair and Governor, PNA Region IX and Executive Vice President of the Western Mindanao State University. She active in promoting quality and responsibility in nursing education. She received the 2007 Anastacia Giron Tupas Award, the highest award given by the Philippine Nurses Association
List of Graduated Classes / Batches
- Batch 2011 - Exercitus Vigoratus
- Batch 2010 - Domus Magnorum (House of the Great)
- Batch 2009 -
- Batch 2008 -
- Batch 2007 - Sui Genesis (being of its own kind, unique) Please help verify translation
- Batch 2006 -
- Batch 2005 -
- Batch 2004 -
- Batch 2003 -
- Batch 2002 -
- Batch 2001 -
- Batch 2000 -
- Batch 1996 - Excelsior
Annual Events and Activities
- Capping, Badging, and Candle Lighting Investiture - Ceremony in which the students deemed are qualified to take the next step of our careers and practice in the hospital.
- Nursing Week - a week long celebration of sporting events, art contests, and trivia competitions.
Former and Present Deans
- Rosella A. Uro, MN (1974-1987)
- Teodora Calderon, MN (1987-1981)
- Teresita Marbella, MN (1999-2002)
- Pilardo Ledesma, MN (1999-2002)
- Myrna Cabato, M. H. ED (2002-2006) (deceased)
- Gloria G. Florendo, R.N., M.N., Ph.D. (2006-2007)
- Milabel E. Ho, R.N., MAEd, MAN, Ed.D. (2007-2009)
- Gloria G. Florendo, R.N., M.N., Ph.D. (2009-Present)