Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental, Philippines
Barangays of Dumaguete City, in the Negros Oriental Province within Region 7 in the Republic of The Philippines
Bagacay • Bajumpandan • Balugo • Banilad • Bantayan • Batinguel • Bunao • Cadawinonan • Calindagan • Camanjac • Candau-ay • Cantil-e • Daro • Junob • Looc • Mangnao-Canal • Motong • Piapi • Poblacion No. 1 • Poblacion No. 2 • Poblacion No. 3 • Poblacion No. 4 • Poblacion No. 5 • Poblacion No. 6 • Poblacion No. 7 • Poblacion No. 8 • Pulantubig • Tabuctubig • Taclobo • Talay
We ask the SK Chairman, to please Help update his/her barangay webpage with information updates or Picture Uploads to promote tourism and attract investors.
- If you do not have a community website yet, no need to create your own community website. We have already done it for you. Just adopt this site then any registered user can maintain the site. No need for special IT training. Most of all zamboanga.com is here to help you. It is all FREE.
- If you already have your own site, use this site as a supplement. You will get more exposure to TOURISTS and INVESTORS. Link to it specially for the barangay pages.
- If you have a Facebook Page (Social Media site), supplement it with this WIKI page (Information Dissemination site). It will help promote your LGU.
- Most importantly all the regions, provinces, cities, municipalities, and barangays are linked. Nobody else in the world has this. Nobody!
List of Municipalities in the Negros Oriental Province within Region VII in the Republic of The Philippines
Amlan (Ayuquitan) || Ayungon || Bacong || Basay || Bindoy || Dauin || Jimalalud || La Libertad || Mabinay || Manjuyod || Pamplona || San Jose
Santa Catalina || Siaton || Sibulan || Tayasan || Valencia || Vallehermoso || Zamboanguita
Cities in the province of Negros Oriental: Bais City || Bayawan City || Canlaon City || Dumaguete City (Capital)
Guihulngan City || Tanjay City
Seal of the Dumaguete City
|Interactive Google Satellite Map of Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental Province|
Map location of Dumaguete City in the Negros Oriental Province
Map Locator of Negros Oriental within the Philippines
Dumaguete City Hall
Please Upload Picture
Dumaguete Rizal Blvd at night
Old building in Siliman University
The Dumaguete Belfry is the city's most popular architectural landmark. It was built in 1760s and 1870s to warn townfolks of attacks by marauding pirates.
- Dumaguete City has a total of 30 barangays
- Registered Voters of Dumaguete City as of (2010) = 66,214
- Population of Dumaguete City (as of Aug 1, 2007) = 116,392
- Land Area of Dumaguete City (as of 2007, in hectares) = 3,362
- Dumaguete City is a 3rd class Component City and Urban.
- Dumaguete City is in the Negros Oriental province and within Region VII-Central Visayas.
Location of Dumaguete City, Province of Negros Oriental, Philippines
- Dumaguete City is in the Province of Negros Oriental
- Negros Oriental is in the Island of negros and within Region VII.
- The Island of negros is in Western Visayas.
Dumaguete City is the capital city of the province of Negros Oriental, Philippines. It is also the largest city in the province.
- 2007 Census Claims - 116,392 people
History of Dumaguete City, Province of Negros Oriental, Philippines
"Dumaguete" was coined from the Visayan word "daggit" which means "to snatch". Because of the frequent marauding attacks of Muslim pirates on the coastal town, and the power to attract and keep her visitors for good, the word "dumaguet", meaning "to swoop," was christened to the village of Dumaguete.
However, Diego Lopez Povedano in 1572 indicated the place as "Dananguet." But in 1734, Murillo Velarde referred to it, using its present name, as Dumaguete.
In 1890, the island-province of Negros was divided into two politico-military provinces, Occidental and Oriental. As earlier constituted, in 1898, Dumaguete was included in Negros Oriental. On May 1, 1901 after the Philippine-American War, the Americans established a civil government in the province.
When World War II broke out, the Japanese Imperial Forces occupied the city on May 26, 1942. It was liberated on April 26, 1945 by the combined forces of the U.S. Army and the Filipino guerrillas. Three years later, on June 15, 1948, by virtue of Republic Act No. 327, the City of Dumaguete was created. Later, on June 21, 1969, Republic Act No. 5797 was enacted, otherwise known as the Revised Charter of Dumaguete City.
- article verbatim from the Department of Tourism: www.experiencephilippines.ph
People of Dumaguete City, Province of Negros Oriental, Philippines
The people from Dumaguete are called a "Dumagueteños".
The Sangguniang Panlungsod is composed of the City (Municipality) Vice-Mayor as Presiding Officer, regular Sanggunian members (Councilors), the President of the Association of Barangay Captains and the President of the Sangguniang Kabataan.
They shall exercise and perform the legislative powers and duties as provided for under Republic Act No. 7160, otherwise known as the Local Government Code of 1991. Shall consider and conduct thorough study all matters brought to their attention and consequently pass resolutions, enact ordinances and to introduce recommendations.
- Elected officials of Dumaguete City for the term of 2013-2016
- Mayor of Dumaguete City: Manuel "Chiquiting" Teves Sagarbarria - NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION
- Vice-Mayor of Dumaguete City: MAQUILING, WOODROW SR. - NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION
- Councilors of Dumaguete City:
- ESMEÑA, FRANK (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 21591 7.03%
- IMBO, JV (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 20892 6.80%
- SAYSON, NILO (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 18608 6.06%
- ERAMES, SAL (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 18248 5.94%
- REMOLLO, TONYREMS (LP) LIBERAL PARTY 18110 5.90%
- CATAN, PETER (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 17647 5.74%
- RAMON, LANI (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 17335 5.64%
- PATRIMONIO, NELSON (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 17234 5.61%
- ARBON, MANNY (LP) LIBERAL PARTY 16804 5.47%
- LEON, DANDAN (NPC) NATIONALIST PEOPLES' COALITION 16611 5.41%
- Elected officials of Dumaguete City for the term of 2010-2013
- Mayor of Dumaguete City: Manuel Teves Sagarbarria
- Vice-Mayor of Dumaguete City: Alan Gel Suela Cordova
- Councilors of Dumaguete City:
Barangays Elected Officials of Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental
Businesses in Dumaguete City, Province of Negros Oriental, Philippines
- Take a picture of your Business in Dumaguete City. Upload that picture here in zamboanga.com and that picture can immediately be your business webpage. It is that easy.
- Here is an example of a picture that became the webpage of the business: Aderes Flea Market
- Businesses in Dumaguete City
- Auto and Motorcycle dealers
- Banks and Financial Institutions in Dumaguete City
- Clinics and Hospitals
- Convenient Stores, Hardware and Supplies
- Department Stores and Appliance Stores
- Hotels, Motels, Pension Houses and Boarding
- Pharmacies or Drug Stores
- Repair Shops
- Restaurants, Carenderias, Coffee Shops and Resorts in Dumaguete City
- Salons and Barber Shops
- Supermarket, wet market
- How to Improve Your Business and Livelihood
The Philippine Livelihood Program: The Philippine government provides several programs to enhance the livelihood of the Filipino people. The department of Science and Technology through its Technology Research Center (TRC) regurlarly conducts various types of hands-on and personalized training programs.
- DOST - Website
- UPLiFT stands for Urban Program for Livelihood Finance and Training. - Website
- DSWD Pro-poor and Livelihood Programs - Website
Real Estate for Sale or lease in Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental, Philippines
- Dumaguete City Realty
- If you have real estate property, whether its commercial, residential, farm land, or just an empty lot in Dumaguete City, you can list that property for free.
- Click to VIEW, EDIT or ADD Realty Listings.
- You can list your House and lot or farm land for sale or lease for free here.
If you are a real estate developer, you can list your subdivision, condominiums, high rises, apartment complexes, shopping strips or malls, open market developments here for Free.
Churches, Mosques, or Places of Worship in Dumaguete City, Province of Negros Oriental, Philippines
The name of your church, mosque, or place of worship can be listed here. We can even provide you with a free webpage for you. We can help you.
Schools in Dumaguete City, Province of Negros Oriental, Philippines
School year 2013-2014 starts June 3 and ends March 31, 2014, for public elementary and secondary schools. The school year will have 201 school days, of which 180 days are “nonnegotiable” student-teacher contact time.
The multisectoral Brigada Eskwela to prepare schools for the students’ return will be on May 21-26. Oplan Balik Eskwela will be from May 28 to June 8 while orientation on K to 12 for parents and other stakeholders will be on June 9.
Although private schools may deviate from the Department of Education (DepEd) calendar, they are enjoined not to start before June 3 and later than Aug 31.
School Year 2013-2014 in public elementary and high schools will start on June 3 and end on March 31, 2014
- Dumaguete has four universities
- Siliman University
- Numerous other colleges
The name of your school in Dumaguete City can be listed here. You can list it like this:
- Name of School. Private or Public. It can be an elementary school, high school, college.
- Address of your school
- Telephone Number
- Principal of the school
You can also create a webpage for your school. We can help you.
- Article from the department of Tourism:
The city's ambience and tranquil, moderate way of life make it conducive to learning and intellectual pursuits. The city has become a melting pot of students, professionals, artists, scholars and the literati coming from different parts of the country and the world. It has earned the distinction of being known as “the center of learning in Southern Philippines” because of the presence of seven universities and colleges that have made their mark locally and internationally.
Silliman University is the dominant institution of higher learning in Dumaguete. Established in 1901 by Protestant missionaries from the USA, it is the oldest Protestant university in the country and the oldest American-established university in Asia. Starting as an elementary school, it soon rised to become a university in 1938. Since then, students coming from all around the world have called Dumaguete their home while acquiring that coveted degree. The 610,000 sq meter campus is adjacent to and intermixed with the city’s downtown district. Other universities located in the city are Foundation University, Negros Oriental State University, and a branch of the Saint Paul Universities (Philippines).
There are also many colleges in the city, including a branch of AMA Computer College and AMA ACLC, a branch of the Asian College of Science and Technology (commonly known as ACSAT), a branch of STI College, a branch of the Maximo College, the Metro Dumaguete College and Colegio de Santa Catalina (popularly known as COSCA).
The city's student population is estimated at 30,000.
Economy of Dumaguete City, Province of Negros Oriental, Philippines
Dumaguete enjoys a vibrant economy brought about by the influx of investors in the business process outsourcing and other industries. TeleTech, one of the world's largest call center firms, and SPi, one of the world's leading BPO companies, are the two large ITES firms operating in Dumaguete. Robinsons Land Corporation, a major mall operator in the Philippines, has started the construction of a new mall located on a 6-hectare lot in Calindagan, south of downtown Dumaguete. There is also an upsurge in the number of tourists arriving in the City of Dumaguete and nearby areas.
The academe pumps in more than P2 billion of economic activity into the city annually.
- article source: The department of Tourism
- If you have an article that talks about the improvement of the economy of Dumaguete City you can post that article here. If you come across any news item that talks about the economy of Dumaguete City, you may post it here. Of course you have to reference the writer of the article. Any improvement to transportation, power and service usually improves the economy of the community, so go ahead and report that too.
If you have a job available and that job is within Dumaguete City, Philippines, you may post it here.
Remember to be as descriptive as possible and to post your Company name, Contact person, physical address, email address and Phone number.
Post expiration of Job Application. Go ahead and Click to Insert your job offer in the "Jobs in Dumaguete City" page.
Natural Resources of Dumaguete City, Province of Negros Oriental, Philippines
- Protect the environment
It is sad but true that as of the year 2012 the rivers of the Philippines continue to be the #1 Sewer Systems of the Philippines.
Protect & Save the Rivers. Do not let your sewer drain into the river. Your community can be the first to initiate this project.
Build your riverbank protection with a built-in gutter system. Reforest within Ten Years - Guaranteed!
Let us plant more trees in every barangay in the entire Philippines. It does not make any difference if the barangay is urban, partially urban or rural; we need more trees. Trees will prevent erosion, provide oxygen, prevent green house effect, and even a place of business for the shade tree mechanic.
The Philippines is a tropical country and practically anything will grow. The DENR has the planting trees project that goes on every year. Lots of picture taking for the media. Planting trees one by one is the "human" way of doing it. This individual planting of trees is good if done to "line" the roads and highways with trees or along fences or property divisions, or if you have a plantation.
To reforest the nation of the Philippines we have to plant trees the "mother nature" way. Sow the seeds during the rainy season. Go deep into "bald" forests and plant trees by sowing seeds. If there's not enough volunteers to do this, use the military helicopters to fly over the designated areas and sow the seeds.
Guaranteed within a few years, The Philippines will be lush again. >>Read More
We are using our rivers as our sewer system. If you ask a Filipino, "Are the Filipinos a clean people?" The answer is an automatic, "Yes!". However, the Filipinos are suffering from the same disease or attitude as most people do, and that is the "NIMBY" disease or "NIMBY" attitude. (NIMBY) Not In My Back Yard. So it is OK to dump my garbage and sewer there. Not mine! Someone else will take care of it.
This attitude is killing our rivers. Your great-grandparents, grandparents or parents were once proud to tell the stories of how they enjoyed swimming in the river behind your house or nearby. However, you can't say the same or tell the same stories to your kids or grand kids. Why? Because your generation is killing the river.
- Secretary Ramon J. P. Paje
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Visayas Avenue, Diliman, 1100 Quezon City, Philippines
We have so much water in the Philippines and yet very little to drink.
Instead of relying too much on Diesel fuel and Coal to generate the majority of Philippine's Electrical energy Supply, we can concentrate more on renewable and sustainable source of energy such as: Hydro Power, Solar Power, and Wind Power. We have too many black outs.
Tourists Attractions of Dumaguete City, Province of Negros Oriental, Philippines
- Help us add some of the tourist attractions of Dumaguete City in Z-wiki. This will help boost the local economy of Dumaguete City. Anything that is unique or anything that stands out in your community may be a tourist attraction. *Landmarks are usually photographed a lot by visitors. Post the ?? landmarks here.
Festivals, Fiestas and Traditions of Dumaguete City, Province of Negros Oriental, Philippines
Every city has some sort of a festival or tradition that is celebrated every year. In the Philippines almost all barangays that are predominantly populated by Christians celebrate fiesta. Tell us about the festivals, fiestas and traditions of Dumaguete City.
Your Story about Dumaguete City, Province of Negros Oriental, Philippines
Tell your story about Dumaguete City. You can talk about the good things in Dumaguete City or simply talk about the past. You can talk about the eco-system of Mncplty. What is the local LGU doing about the preservation of your natural resources The topic can start here and once it gets bigger it can have a page of its own in Z-Wiki. It's all up to you.
Silliman graduate makes it to TOSP national search
Cebu Daily News
First Posted 10:46:00 06/03/2010
A FRESH Biology graduate of Silliman University is the lone finalist from Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental in the national search of the Ten Outstanding Students of the Philippines (TOSP).
Nikko Paolo Cablao made it in the shortlist of 10 regional finalists, from a list of 20 from the different schools in Central Visayas.
Cablao graduated magna cum laude in March and was the recipient of the Most Outstanding Student of the Year Award.
He was also an active member of the Silliman University Kahayag Dance Troupe.
Awarding of the regional finalists was held in April at the Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission in Cebu City.
The TOSP was started in 1961 by businessman Jose Concepcion, Jr. of the RFM Foods Corporation. This year’s search has its theme “Learning, leading and serving for life.”
PIA Press Release
Unionbank opens 181st branch in Dumaguete
By Rachelle M. Nessia
Dumaguete City (12 February) -- Unionbank has opened the doors of its 181st branch in Dumaguete City, signaling the relentless escalation of the city's business climate.
Top officials from Unionbank led by its Chairman and CEO Justo A. Ortiz officially inaugurated its new branch located at Calle Real corner San Juan Street, this city on February 8.
In a press conference held prior to the bank's official opening, Ortiz said that Dumaguete City is one of the important cities nationwide in which they have no presence. "So at this point in time, we are beginning to be more conscious in having a nationwide presence and filling up all the different gaps in our network," he stressed.
Touting itself as one of the most technologically-oriented banks in the country, Unionbank's arrival here also acknowledges Dumaguete's budding niche in internet banking.
Edwin Bautista, Unionbank Retail Banking Head, said that Dumaguete is one the bank's important customers in terms of internet banking.
He cited a study that showed Dumaguete as one of the top three cities in the country in terms of internet penetration.
On the other hand, Unionbank's EON Cyber Card in a survey conducted among Ebay sellers in the Philippines came out as the no. 1 debit card used by Ebay sellers, while 85% of those surveyed chose Unionbank as the preferred mechanism to receive money from online transactions. "So this is one of the things we can offer Dumaguete," said Bautista.
He likewise assured that the bank has exerted efforts to ensure the security of their internet banking. "We have hired local and foreign firms to keep our technology hack-free," stressed Bautista.
This was echoed by Edliberto Bravo, a member of Unionbank Board of Directors, who stressed that Unionbank is "not just another bank as we have hired some of the best minds in the field of computer technology."
Ortiz said that their cutting edge technology-oriented services have made Unionbank a favorite among Business Process Outsourcing firms.
"In fact, we arrived right in time in Dumaguete because we have customers all over the country and we are finding out that they are also expanding to Dumaguete. We follow our customers?since they are beginning to do business here, we need to be here also," he said.
One of Unionbank's customers is Qualfon Quality Contact Services which has now started their expansion program in Dumaguete.
Qualfon is an Information Technology (IT) locator currently employing 2,100 workers inside the Asiatown IT Park in Cebu City and was one of the IT firms visited by Pres. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo on February 3 during the Visayas leg of her week-long Cyber Corridor Tour showcasing the President's IT Milestone Legacy Agenda.
Meanwhile, GSIS eCard holders are also among the reasons for Unionbank's expansion into the provinces, being the official bank issuing the GSIS eCard. "We have a lot of GSIS members who are from this area who prefer to do business with Unionbank in Dumaguete rather than do it in ATMs of other banks," said Ortiz.
Ortiz said that they purchased their branch site in the city as a demonstration of their permanent and committed presence here.
Unionbank Dumaguete Branch is located at Calle Real corner San Juan street, this city.
Featured News of The Philippines
- Export up 9.3% in January
- Tuesday, March 11, 2014 10:46 am
- MANILA, Philippines (Xinhua) — Philippine export revenues in January rose by 9.3 percent on year to 4.38 billion U.S. dollars due to higher shipment of electronic products, the Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) said Tuesday.
- PSA said electronic products remained as the country's top export item during the period, accounting for nearly 41 percent of revenues in January. Receipts from electronic products went up by 22.1 percent on year to 1.79 billion U.S. dollars ..................... Full Story»
- Phl investors most upbeat on econ growth prospects
- Monday, March 10, 2014 12:00 am
- MANILA, Philippines - Philippine investors are the most upbeat in Asia over economic growth prospects, according to a survey conducted by Manulife Financial.
- Manulife Investor Sentiment Index for Asia showed that Philippine investor sentiment, along with a growing interest towards equities, lifted overall regional investor sentiment slightly higher in the fourth quarter of 2013 ..................... Full Story»
- Carabao Festival
- Date: May 14 - Location: Angono, Rizal
- Farmers pay tribute to their patron saints; a procession of carabao carts bearing a myriad local produce is held; prizes are awarded to the strongest and most beautifully decorated carabaos.
- Date: May 14 Location: Pulilan, Bulacan
- Hundreds of festively adorned carabaos are paraded by their farmer-owners on the street leading to the church; there the carabaos are made to kneel down as a homage to San Isidro de Labrado, the patron saint of farmers.
- POC eyes 20 athletes to Youth Olympic Games
- Tuesday, March 11, 2014 12:00 am
- MANILA, Philippines - The 3x3 U18 TNT National Championship and the FIBA-Asia Pacific leg World Tour, along with the novelty basketball marathon will be tackled in today’s PSA Forum at Shakey’s Malate.
- Talking about the 3x3 event are Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas executive director Sonny Barrios, Moying Martelino, Smart Sports executive Epok Quimpo, and FIBA 3x3 official Ignacio Soriano ..................... Full Story»
Dumaguete City, Province of Negros Oriental supports Philippine Cycling
Philippine Cycling is about cycling in the Philippnes. Philippine Cycling helps promote bike races, cycling clubs, bicycle tours, and the development of bicycle trails. Activities are coordinated with bike shops and cycling clubs throughout the Philippines to promote the fun of riding bikes. Philippine Cycling will be coordinating events with tour of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Road biking and mountain bikings will be promoted by Philippine Cycling.
Cycling Activity to Participate In
Your cycling activity can be posted here and it will be posted in all the Provincial, City, Municipal and Barangay pages
- Do this so your photo upload will be properly categorized for Dumaguete City.
- Copy and paste the code below in "green" to the body or "Summary" of the image file that you are uploading.
[[Category:Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental, Philippiness Photo Gallery]]
[[Category:Negros Oriental, Philippines Photo Gallery]]
*[[Dumaguete City, Negros Oriental, Philippines]]
Most of the contents in this site are taken from the department of tourism, comelec, natioanal statistical board, DILG, (LGU) government sites, online news, and other content sites about the specific community. This page does not serve as the official website of the community but rather compliments and helps the community to promote tourism and attract investors.
This is an interactive and collaborative webpage, meant to help promote this community and showcase it to the world via the internet.
This wiki page follows a format. The editor of this wiki page reserves the right to change formats, edit, or delete entries that may be considered as offensive, vulgar or not for the betterment of this wiki page.