File:Iloilo Capitol Building of the Province.jpg
- Provincial Capitol of Iloilo
The Capitol Building in Iloilo referred to as the "Casa Real" or Royal House during the Spanish times was built in 1840. The "Casa Real" was the residence of the alcalde-mayor or governor, then the highest Spanish Official in Iloilo. John Foreman, in his book, The Philippine Islands, made mention of this government house. He wrote: (At the extreme end of the Calle Real (now Iznart Street) is a government house, built of wood and stone, and then in a very bad condition but they style is good, has quite the appearance of an official residence. Before it, is a semi-circular garden, and in front of this there is a round fenced-in plot in the middle of which stands a flagpole..)
The Flagpole gave way to the Arroyo Fountain in 1927. The "Casa Real" on the other hand was remolded in 1960 after Jose Zulueta became the governor of the province. Though some stone structures might have been preserved, the colonnades at the front of the entire structures were demolished.
On November 4, 1998, a fire of unknown source baffled the capitol damaging almost more than the half of the whole building leaving only the main building. This resulted to the construction of a six-storey Provincial Capitol of the future initiated by Gov. Arthur D. Defensor and brought to finish by Gov. Niel D. Tupas, Sr., it now stands behind the original structure.
The seat of the Iloilo Provincial Government and the most modern Provincial Capitol in the Philippines.
- Source: Archives Division Office, 2nd Flr., Old Capitol Bldg., Iloilo City
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
|current||12:01, 14 October 2009||1,600 × 1,200 (912 KB)||Maletsky||Provincial Capitol of Iloilo|