History of Malacañang Palace
- The Malacañang Palace
- Written by Kenzo Go Uang
- source is from:http://cie.edu - verbatim
The Malacañang Palace is the house where the President of The Philippines resides and is the President’s principal workplace. It is located at 1000 J. P. Laurel Street, San Miguel, Manila, is right in front of the Pasig River. The house, which was built in 1750, has been the residence of every head of the Philippines even during the time of the Spanish and American governors. The only one that did not reside in the Palace was the Philippine’s First President, Emilio Aguinaldo, who instead chose to stay at his own house in Kawit, Cavite. The Malacañang Palace was built by a Spanish aristocrat named Don Luis Rocha with the purpose of it being his summer house. He later sold it to Col. Jose Miguel Formente and it stayed in his possession until 1825, when it was purchased by the state.
The origin of the name Malacañang comes from the Tagalog phrase “May lakan diyan” which means “There is a nobleman there”. This term was probably used because the Malacañang Palace used to house a wealthy Spaniard. When Ramon Magsaysay, the seventh president of the Philippines, took to office, he issued an Executive Order to have the name Malacañang Palace changed to Malacañang: Residence of the President of the Philippines. During the administration of President Corazon Aquino, there was a distinction made between Malacañan Palace and Malacañang. The Malacañan Palace was known as the official residence of the President while Malacañang was known as the Office of The President. Documents signed under the presidents themselves contain the heading Malacañan Palace while any other documents by the president’s subordinates bear the heading Malacañang.
Before the governor-generals during the Spanish regime resided in the Malacañang Palace, they stayed in the Palacio del Gobernador located in the walled city of Intramuros, Manila. That was until an earthquake destroyed the palace’s structure so the governor-general at the time, Rafael de Echague y Berminghan, moved to Malacañang Palace, making him the first ever head of state to reside there. Not much change occurred during the Spanish Regime but when the American governor-generals arrived, the palace was annexed and new buildings were established. The time of the administration of President Ferdinand Marcos, the Malacañang Palace saw much renovation and expansion fit for the extravagant tastes of the First Lady, Imelda Marcos.
The Palace today contains multiple halls, rooms, studies, golf courses and private quarters that change from time to time depending on the president’s taste. The furniture used many years ago, made of the finest Philippine hardwood still remain. A museum was added a few years back by the former president Gloria Arroyo called the Malacañang Museum. The gardens still contain the century old trees from the 1900 and tropical plants are added once in awhile along with other shrubs and flowers.