98 Barangays of Zamboanga City, Philippines
Arena Blanco • Ayala • Baliwasan • Baluno • Boalan • Bolong • Buenavista • Bunguiao • Busay • Cabaluay • Cabatangan • Cacao • Calabasa • Calarian • Camino Nuevo • Campo Islam • Canelar • Capisan • Cawit • Culianan • Curuan • Daap • Dita • Divisoria • Dulian Bunguiao • Dulian Pasonanca • Guisao • Guiwan • Kasanyangan • La Paz • Labuan • Lamisahan • Landang Gua • Landang Laum • Lanzones • Lapakan • Latuan Curuan • Licomo • Limaong • Limpapa • Lubigan • Lumayang • Lumbangan • Lunzuran • Maasin • Malagutay • Mampang • Manalipa • Mangusu • Manicahan • Mariki • Mercedes • Muti • Pamucutan • Pangapuyan • Panubigan • Pasilmanta • Pasobolong • Pasonanca • Patalon • Putik • Quiniput • Recodo • Rio Hondo • Salaan • San Jose Cawa-Cawa • San Jose Gusu • San Ramon • San Roque • Sangali • Sibulao Curuan • Sinubong • Sinunuc • Sta. Barbara • Sta. Catalina • Sta. Maria • Sto. Niño • Tagasilay • Taguiti • Talabaan • Talisayan • Talon-Talon • Taluksangay • Tetuan • Tictapul • Tigbalabag • Tigtabon • Tolosa • Tugbungan • Tulungatung • Tumaga • Tumalutab • Tumitus • Victoria • Vitali • Zambowood • Zone I • Zone II • Zone III • Zone IV
- This website is interactive unlike most websites of the LGU's (Local Government Units) in the Philippines.
- If you do not have a website yet, no need to create your own community website. We have already done it for you. Just adopt this site then any registered user can maintain the site. No need for special IT training. Most of all zamboanga.com is here to help you. It is all FREE.
- If you already have your own site, use this site as a supplement. You will get more exposure to TOURISTS and INVESTORS. Link to it specially for the barangay pages.
- There are sites out there that will provide you with a free webpage. But then you have to create if from scratch. The site that we provide you already has content. It is not an empty shell.
- Most importantly all the regions, provinces, cities, municipalities, and barangays are linked. Nobody else in the world has this. Nobody!
On the East Coast Hwy: The barangay before Mercedes is Boalan and the one after Mercedes is Culianan
Welcome Arch of Mercedes
Mercedes Barangay Hall
Fire Station, Mercedes
Villa Teresa, Mercedes
Holy Week in Mercedes
Central School, Mercedes
Immaculate Conception Church, Mercedes
Philippine National Police Region 9, Office Headquarters. Camp Col. Romeo A Abendan
Philippine National Police Region 9, Office Headquarters. Camp Col. Romeo A Abendan
Location of Mercedes, Zamboanga City
Mercedes is situated at the north eastern part of the City of Zamboanga. It is about 12.75 kilometers and around 15 to 20 minutes ride from the city proper. It is bounded by Barangay Talabaan on the east, Barangay Zambowood on its West, Mangrove and Seacoast on the South and Barangays Culianan and Pasobolong on the North. It is composed of six zones, zone 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 with five known Sitios (sites) called View Island, Balinsungay, Lumbayao, Mulu-Muluan, and Bilang-bilang.
Its main roads are:
- Maria Clara L. Lobregat National Highway (MCLL Highway) – Main Highway from City proper to Zamboanga del Sur and other parts of Mindanao
- Calle Real – Passing through Zone 1, 2 and 3 towards Sitio Balinsungay exiting at Sitio Gapuh at Barangay Talabaan
- RSAF Street – From MCLL Highway towards the Philippine National Police Regional Head Quarter exiting Barangay Zamboawood
- Calle San Isidro – From MCLL Highway through Zone 2 and 4 connecting Calle Santa Filomena
- Calle Socorro – From MCLL Highway passing through Zone 3 and 4 leading to Sito Mulu-Muluan
- Calle Cariagas – Connecting Calle Real intersecting Calle Arcillas up Calle Santa Filomena at Zone 5
- Calle Arcillas – Intersecting Calle Cariagas, Calle San Isidro and Calle Santa Filomena exiting Barangay Talabaan
- Calle Santa Filomena – Connecting Calle Socorro, intersecting Calle San Isidro and Calle Cariagas in Sitio Lumbayao exiting Barangay Zambowood
- Calle Las Merced – Connecting Calle Socorro and Calle San Isidro
- Camino Nuevo – Connecting Calle Socorro and Calle San Isidro
- Pohok Drive – Connecting Calle Socorro toward the rice granary of Barangay Mercedes and Barangay Culianan
- Other Existing Roads (without existing name yet) – Road connecting Calle Socorro at Zone 3, road leading to View Island at Zone 1 and others
History of Mercedes, Zamboanga City
In the middle of eighteenth (18th) century the Spanish Jesuit Missionary transferred its Catholic Mission to PASO CAÑA (Bamboo Pass). This name was attributed to the abundance of bamboo trees that grew along the river banks and in many other places in the area. Paso caña was the name of the place until the first Chapel was constructed by the first Jesuit Missionary Priest in Eighteen Sixty Seven (1867) who change the name to LAS MERCEDES in honor of the Patron Saint of Mercedarian who inspired the redemption and recovery of many Christian captives in the hands of the Moors during the reign of Don Jaime de Aragon, the king of Spain.
From then on, the place was named Las Mercedes until the enactment of the COMMONWEALTH ACT No. 39 series of 1937 were it became one of the ninety eight (98) barangays of the City of Zamboanga as Barangay MERCEDES.
Barangay Mercedes has a total land area of 1,288.56 hectares, originally 30% of which is composed of rice fields, 68% are distributed among crop lands and 2% mangroves and fishponds. With its mostly plane terrain, Mercedes is fast becoming a residential site, where crop lands are currently being converted to residential subdivision. The Doña Felisa Subdivision, Rosita’s Subdivision and Blue Homes are amongst the first to venture into real estate development in the barangay. The combined total number of housing units to be constructed is placed at around nine hundred (900), and upon the completion of these projects the population as well as the number of households in the barangay is expected to exceed 11,500 and 2000 respectively. To-date there are still several pending applications for real estate development in the barangay.
The population is of mixed religion and culture, estimated at around eighty percent (80%) Christians residing mostly within the first five zones of the barangay and twenty percent (20%) Muslims predominantly staying in zone 6, Sitio Mulu-Muluan and Bilang-bilang. The Christians are about eighty five percent (85%) native Mercedeños while fifteen percent (15%) are migrants from Luzon, Visayas, Basilan and other parts of Mindanao.
The Barangay has a Catholic Church, a Mosque, a convent and a novitiate for ladies who wish to enter sisterhood, a Day Care Center, two health centers, Police Assistance Center, the regional headquarters of the Philippine National Police R-IX, three public Elementary and Primary Schools and a National High School. It has Cable Television services available, electricity, water utility and a robust signal for mobile phone of all the three major wireless phone carriers in the country. Fiber Optic lines are now under construction by one of the phone carriers in the country.
The Lay Formation Center of the Arch Diocese of Zamboanga where Catholic Conventions are being held as well as the transmitter site and the Catholic radio station DXVP is situated in complex at View Island.
The southern most part of the barangay Sitio Mulu-Muluan, is the proposed site for the Zamboanga International Airport which is yet to be approved based on the City Master Plan and would be constructed when funds are made available by the National Government.
With the availability of all the basic facilities and infrastructures in the barangay, we can always say that a NEW MERCEDES is not that far.
Local Government Unit LGU of Barangay Mercedes, Zamboanga City
- Elected Barangay officers of Mercedes for the term of 2010-2013
- Mercedes, Barangay Chairman, Purificacion T. Delgado
- Mercedes, Kagawad 1, Rosa S. Perez
- Mercedes, Kagawad 2, Ernesto R. Perez
- Mercedes, Kagawad 3, Edita T. Toribio
- Mercedes, Kagawad 4, Edna A. Sumergido
- Mercedes, Kagawad 5, Cesar A. Lago
- Mercedes, Kagawad 6, Karl D.S. Quejero
- Mercedes, Kagawad 7, Mario C. Tesoro
- Mercedes, SK Chairman, Francis Roel P. Saavedra
- Elected Officers for the term of 2007-2010:
- Barangay Chairman:
- Barangay Kagawad:
- SK Chairman:
- SK Kagawad:
Sanguniang Kabataan Chairman - Remalain Perez Araneta ROLE OF THE BARANGAY: As a basic political unit, the barangay serves as the primary planning and implementing unit of government policies, plans, programs, projects and activities in the community, and as a forum wherein the collective views of the people may be expressed, crystallized and considered, and where disputes may be amicably settled.
- To improve delivery of basic services, social services, to include health services, social welfare, cleanliness and sanitation.
- To improve delivery of economic services for the betterment of our stakeholders.
- To improve Peace and Order by educating the youth, young adults regarding alcohol and drug abuses and to sit down with the parents of suspected drug dependents by conducting year round sports activities.
- To give trainings and seminars to all Barangay Officials as to their responsibilities to the stakeholders.
VISION: A PEACEFUL COMMUNITY HIGHLY LITERATE, WELL INFORMED AND PRODUCTIVE, WORKING TOWARDS THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE BARANGAY IN UNITY WITH GOD HIS PEOPLE AND LEADERS.
Public Utilities of Mercedes
THE MERCEDES Barangay Water Project Rural Waterworks Association, Inc.
OFFICERS ELECTED FEBRUARY 1, 2009.
THEY WILL SERVE FROM MARCH 1, 2009 UNTIL FEBRUARY 28, 2011.
- Cesar A. Lago - President
- Rodrigo R. Perez - Vice President
- Roberto J. Debulgado - Secretary
- Frankie A. Perez - Treasurer
- Josephine S. Fayluga - Board Member
- Joselito A. Atilano - Board Member
- Isabelo A. Casimiro - Board Member
- Neofito A. Casimiro - Honorary Board Member
Businesses in Mercedes, Zamboanga City
- We invite you to list your business located in Mercedes.
- Give your business a good description. Add your address and contact number if available.
- Resorts, restaurants, pension houses, or hotels are welcome to be listed here.
- Bakery, Mechanical Shop, Bicycle Shop, Tailor shops can be listed here.
- If you have a pharmacy or gas station, it can be listed here too.
- Hardware stores, Agrivets, salon, spas, etc. are welcome to be listed.
- We do not allow external links except for our sponsors zamboanga.com and maletsky.com. If you have an external site for your business you may not link to it in Z-Wiki but you can point to it. e.g. list it like this: www.my??business.com - this tells the people of your website but it does not link to it.
- Businesses in Mercedes
- The name of your business, address, phone number
Real Estate or Properties for Sale or lease in Mercedes, Zamboanga City
- If you have real estate property, whether its commercial, residential, farm land, or just an empty lot in Mercedes, you can list that property for FREE HERE in Z-wiki.
- You can list your House and lot or farm land for sale or lease for free here in Z-Wiki
Religions in Mercedes, Zamboanga City
The majority of the people in Mercedes are Christians. Others are: Muslims, Iglesia ni Cristo, Protestants.
- Our Lady of Ransom Parish - ( Founded: 1891)
- Fr. Michael Gementiza - Parish Priest
- Our Lady of Ransom Parish - ( Founded: 1891)
Schools in Mercedes, Zamboanga CityMERCEDES CENTRAL SCHOOL
A public school situated at Calle Socorro which caters preschoolers, primary and elementary pupils. For school year 2007 it registered twenty five (25), Seven Hundred Sixteen (716) and Six Hundred Fifty (650) pupils for preschooler, primary and intermediate levels respectively. The school has a Teacher and a classroom for preschoolers, thirteen Teachers (13) and thirteen (13) classrooms for the primary level and sixteen (16) Teachers with fifteen (15) classrooms for the intermediate level.
Mercedes Central School is the (first placer) Region’s Best Performing School. It is also the BRIGADA ESKWELA National Awardee (first placer) for school year 2005-2006 and 2006-2007. At the Division level the school is also a first placer for JARDIN NA ESCUELA competition.
MULU-MULUAN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
A public school situated at Sitio Mulu-Muluan which caters to primary and elementary pupils. During the school year 2007 it has One Hundred Seventy Eight (178) and One Hundred Forty Seven (147) pupils in the primary and elementary level respectively. There are four (4) Teachers and four (4) classrooms for the primary level and five (5) Teachers with five (5) classrooms for the intermediate level.
LUMBAYAO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
This is the third public school for primary and intermediate level found in Sitio Lumbayao. It has forty six (46) pupils, two (2) Teachers and two (2) classrooms for its primary level, while the intermediate level has thirty two (32) pupils, two (2) Teachers and a classroom as recorded during the school year 2007.
A Secondary level public school situated at Calle San Isidro. For school year 2007 it registered Eight Hundred Seventy Eight (878) students. It has thirty (30) Teachers and twenty (20) VISION
The Mercedes National High School envisions every learner to be educationally literate and be transformed and developed in God fearing, healthy, productive and responsible individual.
To upgrade the educational facilities of the school
To enhance the teaching proficiency and professionalism of the teachers
To obtain good support and cooperation with stakeholders
To foster positive organizational climate in the school
Economy of Mercedes, Zamboanga City
- If you have an article that talks about the improvement of the economy of Mncplty you can post that article here. If you come across any news items that talk about the economy of Mncplty, you may post it here. Of course you have to reference the writer of the article. Any improvement to transportation, power and service usually improves the economy of the community, so go ahead and report that too.
Natural Resources of Mercedes, Zamboanga City
- Protect the environment
It is sad but true that as of the year 2012 the rivers of the Philippines continue to be the #1 Sewer Systems of the Philippines.
Protect & Save the Rivers. Do not let your sewer drain into the river. Your community can be the first to initiate this project.
Build your riverbank protection with a built-in gutter system. Reforest within Ten Years - Guaranteed!
Let us plant more trees in every barangay in the entire Philippines. It does not make any difference if the barangay is urban, partially urban or rural; we need more trees. Trees will prevent erosion, provide oxygen, prevent green house effect, and even a place of business for the shade tree mechanic.
The Philippines is a tropical country and practically anything will grow. The DENR has the planting trees project that goes on every year. Lots of picture taking for the media. Planting trees one by one is the "human" way of doing it. This individual planting of trees is good if done to "line" the roads and highways with trees or along fences or property divisions, or if you have a plantation.
To reforest the nation of the Philippines we have to plant trees the "mother nature" way. Sow the seeds during the rainy season. Go deep into "bald" forests and plant trees by sowing seeds. If there's not enough volunteers to do this, use the military helicopters to fly over the designated areas and sow the seeds.
Guaranteed within a few years, The Philippines will be lush again. >>Read More
We are using our rivers as our sewer system. If you ask a Filipino, "Are the Filipinos a clean people?" The answer is an automatic, "Yes!". However, the Filipinos are suffering from the same disease or attitude as most people do, and that is the "NIMBY" disease or "NIMBY" attitude. (NIMBY) Not In My Back Yard. So it is OK to dump my garbage and sewer there. Not mine! Someone else will take care of it.
This attitude is killing our rivers. Your great-grandparents, grandparents or parents were once proud to tell the stories of how they enjoyed swimming in the river behind your house or nearby. However, you can't say the same or tell the same stories to your kids or grand kids. Why? Because your generation is killing the river.
- Secretary Ramon J. P. Paje
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Visayas Avenue, Diliman, 1100 Quezon City, Philippines
We have so much water in the Philippines and yet very little to drink.
Instead of relying too much on Diesel fuel and Coal to generate the majority of Philippine's Electrical energy Supply, we can concentrate more on renewable and sustainable source of energy such as: Hydro Power, Solar Power, and Wind Power. We have too many black outs.
Fiestas and Traditions of Mercedes, Zamboanga City
Basically known as the Santo Entierro, images depicting Christ's passion and death are owned by the prominent and old families of Mercedes. These images are paraded along the streets of the old Calle Real during the Good Friday.
Some of these images were family heirlooms and handed down from one generation to the other. Some of these images are:
- The Santo Sepulcro or the Dead Christ, this image is inside a black glass coffin with thirteen yellow candles on both sides, is carried on the shoulders of the devotees, is owned by the Carpio Clan. This image of the Carpios is one of the oldest images in the procession that starts from the family's Patriach, Eladio Carpio, my maternal great great grandfather.
- The Scourging at the Pillar by the Rivera's Family,
- The Pieta and Agony in the Garden, both owned by the Toribio Clan,
- The Nazarene, the Domingo Ramos and
- Jesus speaks with the women of Jerusalem, owned by the Perezes
- The Crucifixion, owned by the Enriquez Family.
- The image of La Pacencia (Crowning with Thorns), owned by Señora Florentina Alvarez and Family
- The image of St. Veronica, Desmayado, and Jesus nailed on the Cross, are owned by the other side of the Enriquezes.
- The Mater Dolorosa (The Sorrowful Mother), which is used for the La Virgen de Soledad Procession held after the Santo Entierro Procession and during the Domingo Encuentro, is owned by the Torres Family.
- The image of St. Mary Magdalene is owned by the Tan's Family.
- The image of St. Peter, owned by the Arquiza's family.
- Jesus is helped by Simon of Cyrene is owned by the Toribio's Family.
- Jesus meets His Mother is owned by the Perez's Family.
Fiestas and Traditions Gallery
Mercedes, Zamboanga City supports Philippine Cycling
Philippine Cycling is about cycling in the Philippnes. Philippine Cycling helps promote bike races, cycling clubs, bicycle tours, and the development of bicycle trails. Activities are coordinated with bike shops and cycling clubs throughout the Philippines to promote the fun of riding bikes. Philippine Cycling will be coordinating events with tour of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Road biking and mountain bikings will be promoted by Philippine Cycling.
Cycling Activity to Participate In
Tour de Zamboanga 2013: From the 11th of July, 2013 to the 14th of July, 2013. A four day 540 kilometer bicycle race for Charity!
- Due to the road constructions going on in the route of the Tour, we are eliminating the road bikes from this race.
- This is a (Non-Roadbike) individual bicycle race. Everybody is welcome in this race. The more the merrier. Racers who skip a stage will not be allowed to continue. Everybody who finishes the race and does not skip a stage is a winner.
The race starts at the port municipality of Liloy, Zamboanga del Norte and rests in the historical city of Zamboanga del Norte, Dapitan City to end the first stage. The following day the race will continue from Dapitan City to Pagadian City to end the second stage. The 3rd stage will be from Pagadian to Ipil. And finally culminate with the final stage from Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay to Zamboanga City.
Prizes for the Winners and Participants of Tour de Zamboanga
- 80 PRIZES in all to be Given Away. OVER ₱ 782,000.00 pesos in Prizes
- Grand Prize: The overall (liloy, dapitan, pagadian, ipil, zamboanga) first 15 finishers will be based on the overall accumulated time it took to finish the 4 stage race. The racer must finish all stages to qualify for the grand prize.
- The racer with the best accumulated time wins the championship. 1st:50K, 2nd:30K, 3rd:20K, 4th:15K, 5th:10K, 6th:9.5K, 7th:9K, 8th:8.5K, 9th:8K, 10th:7.5K, 11th:7K, 12th:6.5, 13th:6K, 14th:5.5K, 15th:5K
- Every stage has a winner. Prizes will be presented to the first 3 racers to win each stage. 1st:20K, 2nd:15K, 3rd:10K, 4th:6.5K, 5th:6K, 6th:5.5K, 7th:5K, 8th:4.5K, 9th:4K, 10th:3.5K, 11th:3K, 12th:2.5K, 13th:2K, 14th:1.5K, 15th:1K
- The winner of each stage keeps the prize money even if he/she can't continue with the race because of injury or other reasons. But because the racer skipped a stage he/she will not be allowed to continue with the race.
- Besides the Open Category, There are three (3) other competitive categories: (Women; Under 16 years old; 50 years old and over. Prizes for these categories are as follows: 25K 1st, 20K 2nd, 15K 3rd, 10K 4th, 5K 5th. Each Category gets a prize. Prizes given only to finishers of all 4 stages for these 3 categories.
- Finishers of all the 4 stages get a certificate of completion and a refund of their 1,000.00 peso registration fee. If a racer skips a stage he or she is will not be allowed to continue the race. Every finisher of the Tour de Zamboanga is a WINNER!
First Bicycle Race to cover the entire Zamboanga Peninsula
- Due to the election complications in the Zamboanga peninsula, the tour has been postponed to July 11 - July 14 of 2013.
Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur, Zamboanga Sibugay, and Zamboanga City.
- First Stage - July 11, 2013 (Thursday): Liloy to Dapitan City
- 143 Kilometers: This stage of the race does not have many hilly terrains. It will be mostly flat. The roads are cemented.
- Second Stage - July 12, 2013(Friday): Dapitan City to Pagadian City
- 128 Kilometers: The second stage will be more challenging as there will be more hills to climb. About 40% of the terrain will be hilly. It will be on the Osmena Hwy which is almost completely cemented. There are only a few kilometers that are still under construction.
- Third Stage - July 13, 2013 (Saturday): Pagadian City to Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay
- 139 Kilometers: The race from pagadian to Ipil will prove to be a grueling race specially the first 35 kilometers. The first 35 kilometers is about 80% uphill battle.
- Fourth Stage - July 14, 2013 (Sunday): Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay to Divisoria, Zamboanga City
- 130 Kilometers: There are three challenging parts to this section of the race. First challenge is the uphill climb from the border of zamboanga sibugay to the border of zamboanga city (barangay of licomo). After that is the twisty uphill in the barangay of Tigbalabag and finally the quiniput tuktukalaw climb. Then it will be a downhill race to the finish at the barangay of Divisoria.
All Philippine Cyclers are invited to participate in the open bicycle race. It is for a great charitable cause: Project BOSS - Brotherhood Operation Sweet Smile
- Total Distance to be traveled: 540 kilometers or 338 miles - Visit our WebPage
Tourists Attractions of Mercedes, Zamboanga City
- Help us add some of the tourist attractions of Mercedes in Z-wiki. This will help boost the local economy of Mercedes. Anything that is unique or anything that stands out in your community may be a tourist attraction.
- Landmarks are usually photographed a lot by visitors. Post the Mercedes landmarks here.
Families of Mercedes, Zamboanga City
List of Families whose names are deeply rooted in the barangay of Mercedes.
- Do this so your photo upload will be properly categorized for Mercedes
- Copy and paste the code below in "blue" to the body or "Summary" of the image file that you are uploading.
[[Category:Mercedes Zamboanga City Photo Gallery]]
[[Category:Zamboanga City Photo Gallery]]