Sangguniang Kabataan - SK
- Why did you run for SK Chairman of your barangay?
- Was it for the money?
- Was it for the benefits that came with the office?
- Was it for the FREE scholarship?
- Was it for the power and prestige?
- Was it to build your future political career?
- Was it just because your friends asked you too?
- Was it because your family is in politics?
- We hope you ran for the SK Chairman's office to serve your Barangay. The barangay is the core LGU of the Philippines. If you the SK Chairman, elected by the people, are not doing anything to help attract tourism or attract investors to your barangay, then you have to think about your values in life. The office that you have been elected into provides you with great opportunities. The least that you can do is to give a little something back to your barangay. Service will be a good start!
Sangguniang Kabataan - SK
- Republic Act No. 10742: signed into law January 15, 2016
- An Act Establishing Reforms In The Sangguniang Kabataan Creating Enabling Mechanisms For Meaningful Youth Participation In Nation-Building, And For Other Purposes
Otherwise known as the Youth Council of the Philippines
Sangguniang Kabataan Creation and Election.
- source: verbatim from :verbatim from:http://www.delfinalbanoisabela.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=90
- There should be in every barangay a Sangguniang Kabataan to be composed of a Chairman, seven members, a Secretary and a Treasurer; and
- A Sangguniang Kabataan officer who, during his term of office, shall have passed the age of 21 years old shall be allowed to serve the remaining portion of the term for which he was elected.
- Section 5. Powers and Functions of the Sangguniang Kabataan. The SK should have the following powers and functions;
- Promulgate resolutions necessary to carry out the objectives of the youth in the barangay, in accordance with the applicable provisions of the Local Government code of 1991, otherwise known as Republic Act 7160;
- Initiate programs designed to enhance the social, political, economic, cultural, intellectual, moral, spiritual and physical development of the members;
- Hold fund-raising activities, the proceeds of which shall be tax exempt and shall accrue to the general fund of Sangguniang Kabataan. Provided, however, that in the appropriation thereof, the special purpose for which such activity has been held shall be first satisfied;
- Create such bodies or committees as it may deem necessary to effectively carry out its programs and activities;
- Submit annual and end of term reports to the Sangguniang Barangay on their respective projects and activities for the survival and development of the youth in the barangay;
- Consult and coordinate with all youth organizations in the barangay for policy formulation and program implementation;
- Coordinate with the appropriate National Agency for the implementation of youth development projects and programs at the National level;
- Exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as the Sangguniang Barangay may determine or delegate; and
- Exercise such other powers and perform such other functions as maybe prescribed by law or ordinance.
- Section 6. Meetings of the Sangguniang Kabataan. The SK shall meet regularly, once a month on the date, time and place to be fixed by the said Sanggunian. Special meetings maybe called by the SK Chairman or any three (3) of the members by giving written notice to all members of the date, time, place, agenda of the meeting at least one (1) day in advance Notices of regular or special meetings shall be furnished the Punong Barangay and the Sangguniang Barangay for their information. A majority of the members of the Sangguniang Kabataan shall constitute a quorum.
- Section 7. Privileges of the Sangguniang Kabataan Officer The SK Chairman shall have the same privileges enjoyed by the other Sangguniang Barangay Officers as stated in RA 7160, and subject to such requirements and limitations provided herein During their incumbency, SK Officers shall be exempt from payment of tuition and matriculations fees while enrolled in public tertiary schools, including state colleges and universities The National Government shall reimburse said college or university the amount of the tuition or matriculation fees. Provided, that to qualify for the privilege, the said Officers shall enroll in the state college or university within or nearest their area of jurisdiction.
What are the privileges of the SK Chairman?
- verbatim from:http://www.delfinalbanoisabela.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=70&Itemid=90
Section 7. Privileges of the Sangguniang Kabataan Officer The SK Chairman shall have the same privileges enjoyed by the other Sangguniang Barangay Officers as stated in RA 7160, and subject to such requirements and limitations provided herein During their incumbency, SK Officers shall be exempt from payment of tuition and matriculations fees while enrolled in public tertiary schools, including state colleges and universities The National Government shall reimburse said college or university the amount of the tuition or matriculation fees. Provided, that to qualify for the privilege, the said Officers shall enroll in the state college or university within or nearest their area of jurisdiction.
- This is such a great privilege of the SK Chairman. He/She is guaranteed an education and access to the internet.
We ask the SK chairman to adopt his/her barangay webpage within zamboanga.com
The SK chairman can give a great and excellent service to his/her barangay by updating the webpage of his/her barangay provided in this site. This will be one of the many ways that he/she can give back to the community who has helped provide him/her with education. The SK Chairman has the internet access and by the way the updates do not have to be done regularly. Once a month is plenty enough. The barangay pages provided in this site are in a template style with standardized questions. All the SK chairman has to do is to provide the information.
The information provided will promote the barangay and the city or municipality that it is in, thereby promoting tourism and attract investors. The information provided for the barangay will work its way up to the top. The information will enhance the municipality/city, the province and ultimately the Philippines.
One Simple Task that an SK Chairman can do to promote his/her barangay
Every barangay in the Philippines has a special day of celebration. That day could be a religious day or a fiesta day or it could be anything. The point is the SK Chairman can promote that event which happens only once a year. Promoting the event can be by information write up or picture uploads. This is just one way that the SK Chairman can give back to his barangay.
What are the SK Federation Presidents doing about promoting their barangays?
- SK Federation President Joanna Mari D. Mas of Zamboanga City, Philippines called an SK meeting last August 10, 2012 and I was invited to speak about promoting the barangays in Zamboanga City. They decided to have a seminar in a computer internet cafe and the date was set for September 8, 2012. Each SK chairman will be a registered user of zamboanga.com wiki and he/she will be tutored on how to do updates or picture uploads.
- Secretary to the Mayor Neil Sy of Sindangan, Zamboanga del Norte, Philippines also coordinated the SK's of Sindangan and the meeting is set for Septermber 9, 2012 at 10am at the seniors citizen center.