Sorsogon Province, Philippines
List of Municipalities in the Sorsogon Province of the Philippines
Barcelona | Bulan | Bulusan | Casiguran | Castilla | Donsol | Gubat | Irosin | Juban | Magallanes | Matnog | Pilar | Prieto Diaz | Santa Magdalena
Cities in the Province of Sorsogon: Sorsogon City (Capital)
We ask the SK Chairman, to please Help update his/her barangay webpage with informaton updates or Picture Uploads to promote tourism and attract investors.
Seal of the Province of Sorsogon
|Interactive Google Satellite Map of the Province of Sorsogon|
Location of Sorsogon within the Philippines
Provincial Capitol Building of Sorsogon
Saint peter and paul cathedral sorsogon
Mt. Balusan, A dormant volcano in Sorsogon
Province of Sorsogon, Philippines
- Sorsogon has 14 Municipalities, 1 City and 541 Barangays.
- The province of Sorsogon is within Region V.
Location of Sorsogon, Philippines
- article copied verbatim from : http://www.tourism.gov.ph/
The province of Sorsogon on the north extends westward from 124° to 123° longitude and on the north-south axis from 120° to 130° north latitude. Forming a triangle shape, it is bounded on the north by the province of Albay and Albay Gulf, on the south by Samar and San Bernardino strait; on the east by the Pacific Ocean, and on the west by Burias Island and Ticao Pass.
Sorsogon is situated at the southernmost tip of Luzon. As a part of the gateway to the Visayas and Mindanao, the province is a melting pot of cultures and influences. From its earliest days as a trading post frequented by Chinese and Malay merchants, Sorsogon has evolved into a center of trade and commerce in the Bicol Region.
Sorsogon offers the visitor a wide variety of diversions from scuba diving to snorkeling, sport fishing, swimming, boating, island hopping, mountain climbing, biking, hiking, spelunking, or just simply touching base with nature. The tourist, too, can revel in Sorsogon’s pageantry and celebration during its numerous festivals and fiestas, and experience its rich cultural heritage.
In Sorsogon, you will never run out of things to do, sights to see, places to explore, folk celebrations to join and enjoy. This is Sorsogon, the Land of Kasaggayahan – a land of peace and serenity, and happy, hospitable people.
History of Sorsogon, Philippines
- article copied verbatim from wikipedia:
In 1570 two Augustinian friars, Alonzon Jiménez and Juan Orta, accompanied by a certain captain, Enrique de Guzmán, reached Hibalong, a small fishing village near the mouth of Ginangra River, and planted the cross and erected the first chapel in Luzon.
It was from this village that Ibalong, referring to the whole region, came to be. Moving inland with a northwesterly direction they passed by the territory now known as Pilar, before they reached Camalig, Albay. The establishment of the Abucay-Catamlangan Mission later was ample proof of this The early towns established here were: Gibalon in 1570 (now sitio of Magallanes); Casiguran -1600; Bulusan – 1631; Pilar – 1635; Donsol – 1668; Bacon – 1764; Juban and Matnog - 1800; Bulan - 1801; Castilla – 1827; Magallanes – 1860; Sorsogon – 1866 and Irosin – 1880. The province was eventually separated from Albay on October 17, 1894 and adopted the name Sorsogon. The town of Sorsogon was also selected as its capital.
On 1935 Philippine Constitutional convention, Sorsogon had its own delegates. They were Adolfo Grafilo, Francisco Arellano, José S. Reyes, and Mario Guarino.
People of Sorsogon, Philippines
- Sorsogon Population (as of Aug 1, 2007 Census) = 709,673
- Sorsogon Registered Voters (2009 COMELEC) = 347,488
- This website is interactive unlike most websites of the LGU's (Local Government Units) in the Philippines.
- If you do not have a website yet, no need to create your own community website. We have already done it for you. Just adopt this site then any registered user can maintain the site. No need for special IT training. Most of all zamboanga.com is here to help you. It is all FREE.
- If you already have your own site, use this site as a supplement. You will get more exposure to TOURISTS and INVESTORS. Link to it specially for the barangay pages.
- There are sites out there that will provide you with a free webpage. But then you have to create if from scratch. The site that we provide you already has content. It is not an empty shell.
- Most importantly all the regions, provinces, cities, municipalities, and barangays are linked. Nobody else in the world has this. Nobody!
- Elected officials of Sorsogon for the term of 2010-2013
- Provincial Governor: Raul Rodrigueza Lee
- Provincial Vice-Governor: Antonio Hatoc Escudero Jr.
- House Representatives:
- Provincial Board Members:
- Elected officials of Sorsogon for the term of 2007-2010
- Governor of Bohol for the term of 2007-2010
- Member(s) of the House of Representatives of Sorsogon for the term of 2007-2010
Businesses in Sorsogon, Philippines
- We invite you to list your business located in Sorsogon.
- Give your business a good description. Add your address and contact number if available.
- Resorts, restaurants, pension houses, or hotels are welcome to be listed here.
- Bakery, Mechanical Shop, Bicycle Shop, Tailor shops can be listed here.
- If you have a pharmacy or gas station, it can be listed here too.
- Hardware stores, Agrivets, salon, spas, etc. are welcome to be listed.
- We do not allow external links exept for our sponsors zamboanga.com and maletsky.com. If you have an external site for your business you may not link to it in Z-Wiki but you can point to it. e.g. list it like this: www.my??business.com - this tells the people of your website but it does not link to it.
- Businesses in Sorsogon
- The name of your business, address, phone number
- If you have real estate property, whether its commercial, residential, farm land, or just an empty lot in Sorsogon, you can list that property for free. Click to VIEW, EDIT, or ADD Realty Listings.
- You can list your House and lot or farm land for sale or lease for free here.
- If you are a real estate developer, you can list your subdivision, condominiums, high rises, apartment complexes, shopping strips or malls, open market developments here for Free.
Churches, Mosques, or Places of Worship in Sorsogon, Philippines
The name of your church, mosque, or place of worship can be listed here. We can even provide you with a free webpage for you. We can help you.
- List the Mosques or Masjid in Sorsogon here.
- List the Catholic churches and chapels in Sorsogon here.
- List the Methodist churches in Sorsogon here.
- List the Iglesia Ni Cristo churches in Sorsogon here.
- List the Seventh-day Adventist churches in Sorsogon here.
- List the Church of Jesus Christ Latter day Saints (Mormons) churches in Sorsogon here.
- List the Presbyterian churches in Sorsogon here.
- List the Baptist churches in Sorsogon here.
Schools in Sorsogon, Philippines
School year 2013-2014 starts June 3 and ends March 31, 2014, for public elementary and secondary schools. The school year will have 201 school days, of which 180 days are “nonnegotiable” student-teacher contact time.
The multisectoral Brigada Eskwela to prepare schools for the students’ return will be on May 21-26. Oplan Balik Eskwela will be from May 28 to June 8 while orientation on K to 12 for parents and other stakeholders will be on June 9.
Although private schools may deviate from the Department of Education (DepEd) calendar, they are enjoined not to start before June 3 and later than Aug 31.
School Year 2013-2014 in public elementary and high schools will start on June 3 and end on March 31, 2014 The name of your school in Sorsogon can be listed here. You can list it like this:
- Name of School. Private or Public. It can be an elementary school, high school, college.
- Address of your school
- Telephone Number
- Principal of the school
You can also create a webpage for your school. We can help you.
Economy of Sorsogon, Philippines
- If you have an article that talks about the improvement of the economy of Sorsogon you can post that article here. If you come across any news item that talks about the economy of Sorsogon, you may post it here. Of course you have to reference the writer of the article. Any improvement to transportation, power and service usually improves the economy of the community, so go ahead and report that too.
If you have a job available and that job is within the Province of Sorsogon, Philippines, you may post it here.
Remember to be as descriptive as possible and to post your Company name, Contact person, physical address, email address and Phone number..
Post expiration of Job Application. Go ahead and Click to Insert your job offer in the "Sorsogon Philippines, Jobs" page.
Natural Resources of Sorsogon, Philippines
- Protect the environment
It is sad but true that as of the year 2012 the rivers of the Philippines continue to be the #1 Sewer Systems of the Philippines.
Protect & Save the Rivers. Do not let your sewer drain into the river. Your community can be the first to initiate this project.
Build your riverbank protection with a built-in gutter system. Reforest within Ten Years - Guaranteed!
Let us plant more trees in every barangay in the entire Philippines. It does not make any difference if the barangay is urban, partially urban or rural; we need more trees. Trees will prevent erosion, provide oxygen, prevent green house effect, and even a place of business for the shade tree mechanic.
The Philippines is a tropical country and practically anything will grow. The DENR has the planting trees project that goes on every year. Lots of picture taking for the media. Planting trees one by one is the "human" way of doing it. This individual planting of trees is good if done to "line" the roads and highways with trees or along fences or property divisions, or if you have a plantation.
To reforest the nation of the Philippines we have to plant trees the "mother nature" way. Sow the seeds during the rainy season. Go deep into "bald" forests and plant trees by sowing seeds. If there's not enough volunteers to do this, use the military helicopters to fly over the designated areas and sow the seeds.
Guaranteed within a few years, The Philippines will be lush again. >>Read More
We are using our rivers as our sewer system. If you ask a Filipino, "Are the Filipinos a clean people?" The answer is an automatic, "Yes!". However, the Filipinos are suffering from the same disease or attitude as most people do, and that is the "NIMBY" disease or "NIMBY" attitude. (NIMBY) Not In My Back Yard. So it is OK to dump my garbage and sewer there. Not mine! Someone else will take care of it.
This attitude is killing our rivers. Your great-grandparents, grandparents or parents were once proud to tell the stories of how they enjoyed swimming in the river behind your house or nearby. However, you can't say the same or tell the same stories to your kids or grand kids. Why? Because your generation is killing the river.
- Secretary Ramon J. P. Paje
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Visayas Avenue, Diliman, 1100 Quezon City, Philippines
We have so much water in the Philippines and yet very little to drink.
Instead of relying too much on Diesel fuel and Coal to generate the majority of Philippine's Electrical energy Supply, we can concentrate more on renewable and sustainable source of energy such as: Hydro Power, Solar Power, and Wind Power. We have too many black outs.
Tourists Attractions of Sorsogon, Philippines
- Help us add some of the tourist attractions of Sorsogon in Z-wiki. This will help boost the local economy of Sorsogon. Anything that is unique or anything that stands out in your community may be a tourist attraction.
- Landmarks are usually photographed a lot by visitors. Post the Sorsogon landmarks here.
Festivals, Fiestas and Traditions of Sorsogon, Philippines
Every city or municipality has some sort of a festival or tradition that is celebrated every year. In the Philippines almost all barangays that are predominantly populated by Christians celebrate fiesta. Tell us about the festivals, fiestas and traditions of Sorsogon.
- PH stock index continues gain in second straight session
- Wednesday, May 22, 2013 6:03 pm
- MANILA, Philippines—Philippine stocks ended in the green for a second straight session, bringing it closer to the index’s previous all-time high on May 15, but some analysts remained unconvinced that this was the start of a new uptrend.
- The benchmark Philippine Stock Exchange index (PSEi) climbed 0.78 percent to 7,385.07 on Wednesday’s close while the broader all-shares index rose 0.61 percent to P4,534.20. The PSEi hit a new record high last week when it breached 7,400. .........Full Story
- PH-Germany social security accord eyed
- Tuesday, May 21, 2013
- Berlin -- The Philippines and Germany are eyeing a bilateral social security agreement next year that seeks to benefit at least 60,000 Filipinos working in the European Union-member country.
- Philippine Ambassador to Germany Maria Cleofe Natividad said both parties have expressed interest to work towards the signing of bilateral social security agreement..........Full Story
- Pinoy rowers bag 2 SEA rowing golds, finish third
- Wednesday, May 22, 2013 12:00 am
- MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines collared two gold medals and one silver to finish third overall behind Vietnam (5-4-1) and Indonesia (3-4-3) in the Southeast Asian Rowing Championships in Selangor, Malaysia over the weekend.
- Reigning SEAG champion Nestor Cordova stamped his class in the men’s single sculls while SEAG bronze medalists Edgar Ilas and Benjie Tolentino reigned in the lightweight men’s double sculls to lead the Phl harvest. Roque Abala and Alvin Amposta settled for the silver in lightweight men’s pair..........Full Story »
Sorsogon, Philippines supports Philippine Cycling
Philippine Cycling is about cycling in the Philippnes. Philippine Cycling helps promote bike races, cycling clubs, bicycle tours, and the development of bicycle trails. Activities are coordinated with bike shops and cycling clubs throughout the Philippines to promote the fun of riding bikes. Philippine Cycling will be coordinating events with tour of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Road biking and mountain bikings will be promoted by Philippine Cycling.
Cycling Activity to Participate In
Tour de Zamboanga 2013: From the 11th of July, 2013 to the 14th of July, 2013. A four day 540 kilometer bicycle race for Charity!
- Due to the road constructions going on in the route of the Tour, we are eliminating the road bikes from this race.
- This is a (Non-Roadbike) individual bicycle race. Everybody is welcome in this race. The more the merrier. Racers who skip a stage will not be allowed to continue. Everybody who finishes the race and does not skip a stage is a winner.
The race starts at the port municipality of Liloy, Zamboanga del Norte and rests in the historical city of Zamboanga del Norte, Dapitan City to end the first stage. The following day the race will continue from Dapitan City to Pagadian City to end the second stage. The 3rd stage will be from Pagadian to Ipil. And finally culminate with the final stage from Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay to Zamboanga City.
Prizes for the Winners and Participants of Tour de Zamboanga
- 80 PRIZES in all to be Given Away. OVER ₱ 782,000.00 pesos in Prizes
- Grand Prize: The overall (liloy, dapitan, pagadian, ipil, zamboanga) first 15 finishers will be based on the overall accumulated time it took to finish the 4 stage race. The racer must finish all stages to qualify for the grand prize.
- The racer with the best accumulated time wins the championship. 1st:50K, 2nd:30K, 3rd:20K, 4th:15K, 5th:10K, 6th:9.5K, 7th:9K, 8th:8.5K, 9th:8K, 10th:7.5K, 11th:7K, 12th:6.5, 13th:6K, 14th:5.5K, 15th:5K
- Every stage has a winner. Prizes will be presented to the first 3 racers to win each stage. 1st:20K, 2nd:15K, 3rd:10K, 4th:6.5K, 5th:6K, 6th:5.5K, 7th:5K, 8th:4.5K, 9th:4K, 10th:3.5K, 11th:3K, 12th:2.5K, 13th:2K, 14th:1.5K, 15th:1K
- The winner of each stage keeps the prize money even if he/she can't continue with the race because of injury or other reasons. But because the racer skipped a stage he/she will not be allowed to continue with the race.
- Besides the Open Category, There are three (3) other competitive categories: (Women; Under 16 years old; 50 years old and over. Prizes for these categories are as follows: 25K 1st, 20K 2nd, 15K 3rd, 10K 4th, 5K 5th. Each Category gets a prize. Prizes given only to finishers of all 4 stages for these 3 categories.
- Finishers of all the 4 stages get a certificate of completion and a refund of their 1,000.00 peso registration fee. If a racer skips a stage he or she is will not be allowed to continue the race. Every finisher of the Tour de Zamboanga is a WINNER!
First Bicycle Race to cover the entire Zamboanga Peninsula
- Due to the election complications in the Zamboanga peninsula, the tour has been postponed to July 11 - July 14 of 2013.
Zamboanga del Norte, Zamboanga del Sur, Zamboanga Sibugay, and Zamboanga City.
- First Stage - July 11, 2013 (Thursday): Liloy to Dapitan City
- 143 Kilometers: This stage of the race does not have many hilly terrains. It will be mostly flat. The roads are cemented.
- Second Stage - July 12, 2013(Friday): Dapitan City to Pagadian City
- 128 Kilometers: The second stage will be more challenging as there will be more hills to climb. About 40% of the terrain will be hilly. It will be on the Osmena Hwy which is almost completely cemented. There are only a few kilometers that are still under construction.
- Third Stage - July 13, 2013 (Saturday): Pagadian City to Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay
- 139 Kilometers: The race from pagadian to Ipil will prove to be a grueling race specially the first 35 kilometers. The first 35 kilometers is about 80% uphill battle.
- Fourth Stage - July 14, 2013 (Sunday): Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay to Divisoria, Zamboanga City
- 130 Kilometers: There are three challenging parts to this section of the race. First challenge is the uphill climb from the border of zamboanga sibugay to the border of zamboanga city (barangay of licomo). After that is the twisty uphill in the barangay of Tigbalabag and finally the quiniput tuktukalaw climb. Then it will be a downhill race to the finish at the barangay of Divisoria.
All Philippine Cyclers are invited to participate in the open bicycle race. It is for a great charitable cause: Project BOSS - Brotherhood Operation Sweet Smile
- Total Distance to be traveled: 540 kilometers or 338 miles - Visit our WebPage
Sorsogon Zip Codes
- Source: Philippine Postal Corporation
- This table is Sortable by City/Municipality or by ZipCode
|Click on Icon to Sort
|Click on Icon to Sort
|4709||Sta. Magdalena||Sorsogon Province|
|4711||Prieto Diaz||Sorsogon Province|
Sorsogon hosts 3rd Bicol Prosecutors Convention
- Source: http://www.pia.gov.ph/news/index.php?article=801336609913
- Friday, May 11, 2012
- by (MAL/BARecebido-PIA Sorsogon)
SORSOGON CITY, May 11 (PIA) -- Around 115 participants and guests composed of national officers from the National Prosecutors League of the Philippines and prosecutors from across the Bicol region register to the 3rd Bicol Prosecutors Convention, which started Tuesday and to last until today, May 11.
Provincial Prosecutor Regina Coeli Gabito said participants, visitors and guests were warmly welcomed by Sorsogon Governor Raul R. Lee himself along with other high-ranking officials in the province.
“The convention is actually an annual activity of the prosecutors, specifically here in Bicol where we have an active and well-organized group, the Bicol League of Prosecutors, and for this year, our province serves as the host,” said Fiscal Gabito.
She also said that the primary purpose of the convention is to update the prosecutors of the current issuances of the Department of Justice (DoJ), brainstorming on their works as prosecutors, and at the same time socializing and harmonizing with their co-prosecutors in the whole Bicol region.
DOJ Sec. De Lima and Prosecutor General Claro M. Arellano of the National Prosecution Service are among the expected guest in the event but due to hectic schedules, they were not able to make it. De Lima is set to testify in the impeachment trial of Chief Justice Renato Corona from May 9 and 10, while the latter left for Hongkong to present a paper on anti-corruption in the international justice community, Gabito added.
The first day was highlighted by the Corporate Planning and Management Conference as per the Memorandum of the DoJ Secretary dated March 2, 2012 and a dinner, fellowship and socials with Gov. Lee and wife former governor Sally A. Lee.
Gabito said that she also took the opportunity to introduce the province of Sorsogon to the prosecutors who are also appreciable of the different tourism sites and products which place offers and among the areas to be visited on the second day, May 10, are Barcelona for its ruins and world heritage site, Bulusan for Bulusan Lake, and Gubat for its beaches and resorts.
The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) Sorsogon has also put up a stall at the lobby of the Bulwagan ng Katarungan for the entire duration of the activity displaying the local products to give way for the local traders and business establishments to earn during the event.
A fellowship through a short program with City Mayor Leovic Dioneda and city officials at the Sorsogon City Hall in Brgy. Cabid-an will be held today. Also, submission to the members and ratification of the Proposed Constitution and By-Laws of the Bicol Prosecutors League will be made with Deputy Regional Prosecutor Jose Demosthenes at the forefront.
The convention will be culminated with a visit to the residence of Senator Francis Escudero in Brgy. Buhatan, Sorsogon City, wherein the senator is expected to deliver a message to the prosecutors.
Fiscal Gabito also expressed her appreciation and thanks to the local leaders here specifically mentioning Sorsogon Gov. Raul R. Lee, former governor and now Executive Director of Sorsogon Provincial Management Office Sally A. Lee, City Mayor Dioneda, Sen. Escudero, Sorsogon’s 1st District Congressman Salvador H. Escudero II and 2nd District Congressman Dogracias Ramos, Jr., Barcelona Mayor and League of Municipalities of the Phils. Sorsogon Chapter president Mayor Romeo Fortes, Jr., Bulusan Mayor Michael Guysayko and Gubat Mayor Ronnel Lim for the full support extended to them and also for making her work easy.
- Do the following so your photo upload will be properly categorized for Sorsogon.
- Copy and paste the code below in "GREEN" to the body or "Summary" of the image file that you are uploading.
[[Category:Sorsogon, Philippines Photo Gallery]]
*[[Sorsogon Province, Philippines]]