Tumaga Zamboanga City Philippines
Tumaga, Zamboanga City, Philippines is about 4.32 Km. Northwest of city proper. Tumaga is surrounded by the following barangays: Sta. Maria is to the West, Pasonanca is to the North/West, Luyahan is to the North, Lunzuran is to the North/East, Putik is to the East, Guiwan is to the South/East and Tetuan to the South.
98 Barangays of Zamboanga City within Region 9 - Mindanao in the Republic of The Philippines
Arena Blanco • Ayala • Baliwasan • Baluno • Boalan • Bolong • Buenavista • Bunguiao • Busay • Cabaluay • Cabatangan • Cacao • Calabasa • Calarian • Camino Nuevo • Campo Islam • Canelar • Capisan • Cawit • Culianan • Curuan • Daap • Dita • Divisoria • Dulian Bunguiao • Dulian Pasonanca • Guisao • Guiwan • Kasanyangan • La Paz • Labuan • Lamisahan • Landang Gua • Landang Laum • Lanzones • Lapakan • Latuan Curuan • Licomo • Limaong • Limpapa • Lubigan • Lumayang • Lumbangan • Lunzuran • Maasin • Malagutay • Mampang • Manalipa • Mangusu • Manicahan • Mariki • Mercedes • Muti • Pamucutan • Pangapuyan • Panubigan • Pasilmanta • Pasobolong • Pasonanca • Patalon • Putik • Quiniput • Recodo • Rio Hondo • Salaan • San Jose Cawa-Cawa • San Jose Gusu • San Ramon • San Roque • Sangali • Sibulao Curuan • Sinubong • Sinunuc • Sta. Barbara • Sta. Catalina • Sta. Maria • Sto. Niño • Tagasilay • Taguiti • Talabaan • Talisayan • Talon-Talon • Taluksangay • Tetuan • Tictapul • Tigbalabag • Tigtabon • Tolosa • Tugbungan • Tulungatung • Tumaga • Tumalutab • Tumitus • Victoria • Vitali • Zambowood • Zone I • Zone II • Zone III • Zone IV
We ask the Barangay Chairman, to please Help update his/her barangay webpage. Anybody can help update the barangay pages in three ways: (1) by registering as a user, (2) by sending the contribution via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, (3) by sending the story or pictures via .
|Adopt this webpage. Help your community get more exposure to TOURISTS and INVESTORS. Help us improve this webpage.|
Tumaga Barangay Seal
|Interactive Google Satellite Map of Zamboanga City, Philippines|
Entrance to the Barangay of Tumaga
|Tumaga, Zamboanga City, Philippines Hanging Bridge - Taken in July 2007. This bridge of Tumaga was originally built in the 1950's. Then it was renovated through a grant by the USAID in 2006. Picture taken while standing on the Cement bridge facing North.|
In as few as 45 minutes a child or anyone can be saved from a lifetime of pain, shame and isolation. You can give them a chance to go to school, make friends and have a bright future. For as little as 100 pesos you can help provide a surgery for a child suffering from a cleft palate or cleft lip(harelip).
One act of random kindness at a time.Visit our website: B.O.S.S.
|Tumaga River flowing South.|
|Church of Iglesia Ni Cristo located in Tumaga Por Centro|
Catholic Church of Tumaga. Located near the main Tumaga Bridge.
Ateneo de Zamboanga High School Building. Located at Sun Street, Tumaga, Zamboanga City. The Ateneo de Zamboanga high school building was started in 2004. Classes started in July 2006.
Catalina Vda. de Jalon Memorial School
Tumaga Old Barangay Hall
Barangay New Hall of Tumaga
Located on Sun Street
Tumaga Wellness Center
History of Tumaga, Zamboanga City
En Zamboangueño Chavacano:
(El mas temprano historia del Tumaga)
Cuando el mana Españoles ta precura controla con el mana piratas Moro na Visayas y entero Mindanao, ellos ya hace na Zamboanga el unica campo del Español Militar.
El año mil ocho cientos y setenta, el gobernador general de España ya decidi establece un fuerza para mira el mana atrocidades del mana moro piratas.
Alli na Fuerta del Pilar, como ta llama el campo del España ya llega un batallon de maga soldao Español y Filipino.
Ta falta el suplimiento de agua na entero Zamboanga, por eso el comadante ya decidi busca lugar donde tene agua.
El mana soldao ya encontra un buen lugar na costao del rio, tiene mana cuatro kilometro de lejos desde el Fortaleza del Pilar. Ya decidi ellos planta y construi de ellos campo na este lugar.
El comandante, Coronel Pedro Real, quien firmi ta anda baña na ese rio, ya encanta con el de suya hermosura natural por eso ya composita ele un poema en Castellano que ta dedica con este rio.
- Tumaga, que claro de tuya hondura
- Por crosar el mas distante
- Como agua cristalante
- Baña cual quien bonita
Desde aquel tiempo el primero palabra del poema amo ya queda el palabra del lugar y del rio.
(The early history/Legend of Tumaga)
Back in the days when the Spaniards were trying to supress Moro piracy in the Visayas and around the coast of Mindanao, Zamboanga was made the only Spanish Military Camp.
In the year 1870, when piracy was at its peak, the Spanish Governor Generall decided to establish a force to check the atrocities of the moros piratas.
In this Spanish garrison called Fort Pilar, reinforcement came with about a batallon of Spanish and Filipino soldiers.
Since the water supply in Zamboanga was not enough, the Spanish commandant decided to find a source of water in the interior part of the place.
about four kilometers away from Fort Pilar, the Spanish soldiers found a site by the river which they decided to be an ideal place for their camp.
The Commander, Colonel Pedro Real, who always came to take a bath in the river, was impressed by her scenic beauty that he composed a poem in castillan dedicated to the river. The poem ran this way:
- Tumaga, how clear is your depth
- By crossing over the distance
- Like crystal water
- it's good to bathe here
Since then the first word of the poem became the name of the place and the river, now called, Tumaga.
Today's time, The barangay of Tumaga is a very fast growing Barangay. The barangay officers are all active and participate in all the barangay community activities. Tumaga initiates its own garbage collection so as not to pile up the garbage on the sides of the streets. Tumaga is one of the cleanest barangays in Zamboanga city.
One of the best designed sub-divisions in Zamboanga City is located in Tumaga. It is the Aurora Village. The roads are over 8 meters wide with sidewalks. Some of the sub-divisions in Zamboanga are so poorly planned that if there is fire, the fire department won't be able to drive in with their fire-trucks because the roads are so narrow.
Tumaga is surrounded by the following barangays: Sta. Maria is to the West, Pasonanca is to the North/West, Luyahan is to the North, Lunzuran is to the North/East, Putik is to the East, Guiwan is to the South/East and Tetuan to the South.
Tumaga is known for it's beautiful river. The tumaga river used to be a source of livelihood, fun, adventure, and romance. The fishermen from presa-mayor to Tumaga Por-Centro used to cast their nets to catch fish and shrimp in abundance. At night they would go out with their hook and line and try to catch eel. The lavanderas would do their work for most of the more affluent people from the city. And of course this is where chis-mis flourished.
Children would swim and play catch in the crystal clear water of the river. Every June 24th, which is John the baptist's holiday, the river would be full of people celebrating. Food, mangoes, corn and all sorts of fruits would be abundant.
This is also a place where the young adults would meet in pretense to help the family fetch water, firewood, or help with the laundry.
People of Tumaga, Zamboanga City
The population of Tumaga is realisticaly at 31,000 as of 2007. This number does not agree with the 2007 census which counts the population of tumaga at 25, 281 with 4,441 households.
- The government census as of May 1, 2010 counted Tumaga's population as 25,184. According to the census there is only an increase of 3 people in tumaga from 2007 to 2010.
The large majority of Tumaga residents are Christian. There are also some Muslims and ethnic Chinese Buddhists.
Elected Government Officials of Tumaga, Zamboanga City
Tumaga Barangay Elected Officers for the term of 2013-2016
- Punong Barangay Chairman/Captain : Lim, Jacqueline Julian
- Barangay Kagawad Gonzales, Luis Rey Tan
- Barangay Kagawad Hilda Pamalaran Jalon
- Barangay Kagawad Soriano, Arnel Miranda
- Barangay Kagawad Enriquez, Yolanda Capuy
- Barangay Kagawad Rebollos, Regalado Curambao
- Barangay Kagawad Garcia, Romeo Dulaca
- Barangay Kagawad Fabian, Jake Niko Alaban
Tumaga Barangay Elected Officers for the term of 2010-2013
- Tumaga, Barangay Chairman, Carolina Aba-a Gaganting
- Tumaga, Kagawad 1, Jacqueline Julian Lim
- Tumaga, Kagawad 2, Luis Rey T. Gonzales
- Tumaga, Kagawad 3, Arnel M. Soriano
- Tumaga, Kagawad 4, Jaime D.S. Francisco
- Tumaga, Kagawad 5, Jaime Cesar S. Santos
- Tumaga, Kagawad 6, Yolanda C. Enriquez
- Tumaga, Kagawad 7, Prisco B. Santos
- Tumaga, SK Chairman, Jake Niko A. Fabian
Secretary: Arnel M. Soriano
|SK Chairman: Niña Maurice G. Marcial|
Real Estate or Properties for Sale or lease in Tumaga, Zamboanga City, Philippines
- If you have real estate property, whether its commercial, residential, farm land, or just an empty lot in Tumaga, you can list that property for free. Click to VIEW, EDIT, or ADD Realty Listings.
- You can list your House and lot or farm land for sale or lease for free here in Z-Wiki
- OBL La Casa Subdivision - A construction (Land developer) company based in Tumaga
Religions in Tumaga, Zamboanga City
- Our Lady of Manaoag Parish - ( Founded: 1997 )
- First Parish Priest: Fr. Alfredo Alabado
- Second Parish Priest: Fr. Teofilo Pimentel
- Msgr. Dominador Dagondon - Parish Priest
- Fr. Michael Gementiza- New Parish Priest
- Our Lady of Manaoag Parish - ( Founded: 1997 )
Majority of the populace of Tumaga is made up of Christians: Catholics take up the majority of the Christians and there are two places of worship for the Catholics in Tumaga. The first is the church by Tumaga River bridge. The parish priest lives in this church. The second is a chapel in upper Tumaga towards Lunzuran.
- Iglesia ni Cristo also has a strong following in Tumaga. They have a beautiful church in Tumaga Por Centro.
- The Muslims have a Mosques in Tumaga.
- A large Muslim Mosque is located at Aurora Village.
- You can hear the call to prayer for the faithful early in the morning, Noon, and evening.
- A large Muslim Mosque is located at Aurora Village.
Schools in Tumaga, Zamboanga City
Tumaga elementary school belongs to the school district of Sta. Maria. But it has the most enrollment; nearly 3,500 students per year as of 2008. Within the school walls is a modern basketball court which is also used as multi-purpose area.
The barangay office is also located within the school walls. Needless to say the children learn to respect the law at an early age. Rudy Bayot, former barangay captain and former school teacher, is always ready to help the kids and discipline them when necessary. Makes the school principal's job a little easier.
For the students who live over 1 kilometer from the school, there are pedi-cabs readily available. A pedi-cab is a bi-cycle with a side-car. Sometimes there would be as many as 8 students mounted in one of these mode of transportation.
In July 2006 Ateneo de Zamboanga opened its new 5 story high school building located at Sun street towards Lunzuran. The school has a panoramic view of the beautiful city of Zamboanga.
Economy of Tumaga, Zamboanga City
The economy of Tumaga is self sustaining. Majority of the people are employed and business is good.
Businesses in Tumaga, Zamboanga City
- Take a picture of your Business in Tumaga. Upload that picture here in zamboanga.com and that picture can immediately be your business webpage. It is that easy.
- Businesses in Tumaga
- Auto and Motorcycle dealers
- Banks and Financial Institutions in Tumaga
- Clinics and Hospitals
- Convenient Stores, Hardware and Supplies, General Stores
- Department Stores and Appliance Stores
- John-John Catering and Variety Store
- John-John Coca Cola Distribution
- Hotels, Motels, Pension Houses and Boarding
- Cecile's Pension House and Catering
- Pharmacies or Drug Stores
- Repair Shops
- Restaurants, Carenderias, Coffee Shops and Resorts in Tumaga
- Salons and Barber Shops
- Supermarket, wet market
- Forrest Lake Memorial
- How to Improve Your Business and Livelihood
The Philippine Livelihood Program: The Philippine government provides several programs to enhance the livelihood of the Filipino people. The department of Science and Technology through its Technology Research Center (TRC) regurlarly conducts various types of hands-on and personalized training programs.
- DOST - Website
- UPLiFT stands for Urban Program for Livelihood Finance and Training. - Website
- DSWD Pro-poor and Livelihood Programs - Website
Natural Resources of Tumaga, Zamboanga City
Tumaga River - This great river originates high up in the mountain region of Batorampon Point, the highest mountain in the City of Zamboanga at 1,335 meters or 4,380 feet.
The river flows southwards towards the downtown area and empties its now polluted waters into the Tictabon Channel, from the river mouth located in the barangay of Tugbungan. The many barangays that border this river, including its namesake Tumaga, use it as a dumping ground for just about anything.
When the floodwaters rise, the mighty river empties to most of the towns causing flooding and extensive damage. Its once storied past is being destroyed by uncontrolled abuse from the very people it was meant to benefit. We hope it's not too late to save it.
- Protect the environment
It is sad but true that as of the year 2012 the rivers of the Philippines continue to be the #1 Sewer Systems of the Philippines.
Protect & Save the Rivers. Do not let your sewer drain into the river. Your community can be the first to initiate this project.
Build your riverbank protection with a built-in gutter system. Reforest within Ten Years - Guaranteed!
Let us plant more trees in every barangay in the entire Philippines. It does not make any difference if the barangay is urban, partially urban or rural; we need more trees. Trees will prevent erosion, provide oxygen, prevent green house effect, and even a place of business for the shade tree mechanic.
The Philippines is a tropical country and practically anything will grow. The DENR has the planting trees project that goes on every year. Lots of picture taking for the media. Planting trees one by one is the "human" way of doing it. This individual planting of trees is good if done to "line" the roads and highways with trees or along fences or property divisions, or if you have a plantation.
To reforest the nation of the Philippines we have to plant trees the "mother nature" way. Sow the seeds during the rainy season. Go deep into "bald" forests and plant trees by sowing seeds. If there's not enough volunteers to do this, use the military helicopters to fly over the designated areas and sow the seeds.
Guaranteed within a few years, The Philippines will be lush again. >>Read More
We are using our rivers as our sewer system. If you ask a Filipino, "Are the Filipinos a clean people?" The answer is an automatic, "Yes!". However, the Filipinos are suffering from the same disease or attitude as most people do, and that is the "NIMBY" disease or "NIMBY" attitude. (NIMBY) Not In My Back Yard. So it is OK to dump my garbage and sewer there. Not mine! Someone else will take care of it.
This attitude is killing our rivers. Your great-grandparents, grandparents or parents were once proud to tell the stories of how they enjoyed swimming in the river behind your house or nearby. However, you can't say the same or tell the same stories to your kids or grand kids. Why? Because your generation is killing the river.
- Secretary Ramon J. P. Paje
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Visayas Avenue, Diliman, 1100 Quezon City, Philippines
We have so much water in the Philippines and yet very little to drink.
Instead of relying too much on Diesel fuel and Coal to generate the majority of Philippine's Electrical energy Supply, we can concentrate more on renewable and sustainable source of energy such as: Hydro Power, Solar Power, and Wind Power. We have too many black outs.
Tourists Attractions of Tumaga, Zamboanga City
Write Story here
Fiestas and Traditions of Tumaga, Zamboanga City
Tumaga celebrates 2 fiestas: on the 11th of August every year honoring the patron saint, Saint Claire and 1st Saturday of May which we celebrate the Parish fiesta honoring MARY, OUR LADY OF THE ROSARY OF MANAOAG.
Tumaga, Zamboanga City supports Philippine Cycling
Philippine Cycling is about cycling in the Philippnes. Philippine Cycling helps promote bike races, cycling clubs, bicycle tours, and the development of bicycle trails. Activities are coordinated with bike shops and cycling clubs throughout the Philippines to promote the fun of riding bikes. Philippine Cycling will be coordinating events with tour of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Road biking and mountain bikings will be promoted by Philippine Cycling.
Cycling Activity to Participate In
Your cycling activity can be posted here and it will be shown in all the Provincial, City, Municipal and Barangay pages. Your 2015 Cycling Race or Activity can be Posted here.
- ILOILO CITY, April 27-May 2, 2015 (PNA) – Some 5,000 bikers are expected to join the second Iloilo Bike Festival slated April 27-May 2, 2015 as the city continues to aspire to become a bike-able walkable metropolis. The activity that supported by the John B. Lacson Foundation Maritime University (JBLFMU) and Megaworld Iloilo aims to promote Iloilo as a safe and bike friendly city, promote the share-a-road movement encourage Ilonggos to commute via biking and raise Ilonggos awareness on the benefits of biking on health, safety and environment concerns. Read More....
- CYCLING Le Tour de Filipinas 2015 set as country celebrates 60 years of top-caliber cycling Feb 1 to Feb 4 2015 - View the result of the race: A four stage race. Stage 1 starts in Balanga and back to Balanga for a 126K race Feb 1, 2015 (Sunday); stage 2 starts in Balanga, Bataan to Iba, Zambales for a 154.7 K race Feb 2, 2015 (Monday); stage 3 starts in Iba, Zambales to Lingayen, Pangasinan for a 150.1K race Feb 3, 2015 (Tuesday); stage 4 starts in Lingayen, Pangasinan to Baguio City, Benguet for a 101.7K race Feb 4, 2015 (Wednesday). For a total distance of 532.5 Kms. Read More >>>
- Ronda Pilipinas: Feb 8 - 27 2015:>> Discovering young riders for the national team will be the main objective of the LBC Ronda Pilipinas 2015 when the country’s premiere cycling race hits the road on Feb. 8 in Butuan City. Ronda Pilipinas executive project director Moe Chulani said the international multistage bikathon, which ends on Feb. 27, will have two qualifying legs of four stages each in Mindanao and the Visayas where the top riders will advance to face a tough foreign challenge in the six-stage Luzon finale. Read More>>>
Your Story about Tumaga, Zamboanga City
Create you own personal page about the barangay in the municipality or City you live in. Title it like so for specificity: "Mybarangay, MyCityMunicipality, Myprovince, Philippines by MyFirstname Mylastname". You can update and edit this page anytime and anyway you want. It does not have to follow the standard format of the main wiki. It is your page. A link to your page will be inserted in this main barangay page. Here is an example page.
If you want the tittle to be more generic then do this: "Philippines by Your name". You can insert your picture of anywhere in the Philippines in this page. This will be your personal WIKI social media page.
You can talk about your personal experiences, your advocacies, the environmental conditions of your barangay, municipality, city or province.
- Brgy. Tumaga gets P2.2-M wellness center
- by Jocelyn P. Alvarez
- March 2, 2012
ZAMBOANGA CITY — Barangay Tumaga recently received a P2.2-million newly constructed wellness center for the use of its constituents.
Mayor Celso Lobregat, who led the inauguration, said the wellness center project is in line with the city government’s effort to accelerate health services.
“The wellness center is also a lying-in clinic and has other features that can adequately provide the needs of the constituents,” Sheila Covarrubias, city information officer said in a press statement. Covarrubias said Tumaga Chairperson Carol Gaganting thanked the city government for the health facility stressing that it will surely help improve health services in her barangay.
Covarrubias said the city government is also set to construct at the Tumaga Elementary School, a two-storey, 24-classroom building, one of the biggest school building projects in the city, this year to help in the education needs of the children in the barangay.
“For 2012, health and wellness centers will be constructed in Barangays Pasonanca, Sangali, Ayala, and Mariki. The operating room at Quiniput Hospital will also be constructed while the health centers of barangay Guiwan, Tetuan, Talon-talon, Putik, Culianan, and Sibulao will undergo major reconstruction, expansion, and improvement,” she added.
The oldest man or woman in Tumaga, Zamboanga City
Do you know who the oldest man or woman is in Tumaga? Zamboanga.com is starting this inquiry in order to honor the older generation of the Philippines. Please provide the full name and date of birth of the elder living in Tumaga. We will then post your entry in the Oldest Man or Woman in the Philippines page.
- Juana Ramillano Flores: July 12, 1922 - Living in Tumaga Por Centro one of the oldest woman living in Tumaga
- Teofila Bayot Dulaca was born on November 3rd, 1912 and currently resides in Tumaga Interior, Zamboanga City, Philippines.
Sports News of Tumaga, Zamboanga City
Every community has its sports hero. Who is the sports hero of Tumaga? Are there any basketball courts, tennis courts, volleyball courts, baseball fields, softball fields, or any type of sports area or arena in Tumaga? Go ahead and list any upcoming sports events in Tumaga.
Families of Tumaga, Zamboanga City
List of Families whose names are deeply rooted in the barangay of Tumaga.
Aliagan | Araneta | Bascar | Bayot | Borja | Cruz | Estrada | Flores | Fonollera | Francisco | Gutierez | Iglesias Jalon | Locson | Lim | Maletsky | Marcial | Perez | Ramillano | Rojas | Roxas | Saavedra
- Do this so your photo upload will be properly categorized for Tumaga.
- Copy and paste the code below in "green" to the body or "Summary" of the image file that you are uploading.
[[Category:Tumaga Zamboanga City Photo Gallery]]
[[Category:Zamboanga City Photo Gallery]]
*[[Tumaga Zamboanga City Philippines]]
Most of the contents in this site are from registered user collaborations. Information has also been taken from the Department of Tourism, Comelec, National Statistical Coordination Board, DILG: Department of the Interior and Local Government, (LGU) government sites, online news, and other content sites about the specific community. This page does not serve as the official website of the community but rather compliments and helps the community to promote tourism and attract investors.
This is an interactive and collaborative webpage, meant to help promote this community and showcase it to the world via the internet.
This wiki page follows a format. The editor of this wiki page reserves the right to change formats, edit, or delete entries that may be considered as offensive, vulgar or not for the betterment of this wiki page.