Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
Ayusan Norte •
Ayusan Sur •
Barangay I •
Barangay II •
Barangay III •
Barangay IV •
Barangay V •
Barangay VI •
Barangay VII •
Barangay VIII •
Barangay IX •
Beddeng Daya •
Beddeng Laud •
Cabaroan Daya •
Cabaroan Laud •
Pantay Daya •
Pantay Fatima •
Pantay Laud •
San Jose •
San Julian Norte •
San Julian Sur •
San Pedro •
We ask the Barangay Chairman, to please Help update his/her barangay webpage with information updates or Picture Uploads to promote tourism and attract investors.
|Adopt this webpage. Help your community get more exposure to TOURISTS and INVESTORS. Help us improve this webpage.|
List of Municipalities in the Ilocos Sur province within Region I in the Republic of The Philippines
Alilem | Banayoyo | Bantay | Burgos | Cabugao | Caoayan | Cervantes | Galimuyod | Gregorio Del Pilar | Lidlidda | Magsingal | Nagbukel | Narvacan | Quirino | Salcedo | San Emilio | San Esteban | San Ildefonso | San Juan | San Vicente | Santa | Santa Catalina | Santa Cruz | Santa Lucia | Santa Maria | Santiago | Santo Domingo | Sigay | Sinait | Sugpon | Suyo | Tagudin
Cities in the province of Ilocos Sur: Candon City | Vigan City(Capital)
Seal of the City of Vigan
|Interactive Google Satellite Map of Vigan City|
Vigan City Map Locator
Map of Ilocos Sur Province in the Island of Luzon
In as few as 45 minutes a child or anyone can be saved from a lifetime of pain, shame and isolation. You can give them a chance to go to school, make friends and have a bright future. For as little as 100 pesos you can help provide a surgery for a child suffering from a cleft palate or cleft lip(harelip).
One act of random kindness at a time.Visit our website: B.O.S.S.
Vigan City Hall
Geography of Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
Vigan City Land Area (as of 2007, in hectares)= 2,512
Location of Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
- 17.5667° N, 120.3833° E - Vigan, Coordinates
Vigan City is located 120 23’ 15’’ east longitude and 17 34’ 30’’ north latitude. It is in the northern part of Luzon, the Philippines’ largest island.
History of Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
Vigan is an island, which used to be detached from the mainland by three rivers - the great Abra River, the Mestizo River and the Govantes River. It is unique among the Philippine towns because it is the country’s most extensive and only surviving historic city that dates back to the 16th century Spanish colonial period.
Vigan was an important coastal trading post in pre-colonial times. Long before the Spanish galleons, Chinese junks sailing from the South China Sea came to Isla de Bigan through the Mestizo River that surrounded the island. On board were sea-faring merchants that came to barter exotic goods from Asian kingdoms in exchange for gold, beeswax and other mountain products brought down by natives from the Cordilleras. Immigrants, mostly Chinese, settled in Vigan, intermarried with the natives and started the multi-cultural bloodline of the Bigueños.
In the book, The Philippine Island, Vol. III, p. 276, Blair and Robertson, two letters of Governor General Guido de Lavezares to King Philip II of Spain mentions: “It seemed best to send Captain Juan de Salcedo with 70 or 80 soldiers to people the coast of Los Ilocano on the shores of the river called Bigan.” Salcedo then sailed from Manila on May 20, 1572 and arrived in Vigan on June 12, 1572.
Thus, after the successful expedition and exploration of the North, Don Juan de Salcedo founded “Villa Fernandina de Vigan” in honor of King Philip II’s son, Prince Ferdinand who died at the tender age of four. From Vigan, Salcedo rounded the tip of Luzon and proceeded to pacify Camarines, Albay, and Catanduanes.
As a reward for his services to the King, Salcedo was awarded the old province of Ylocos which then composed of the Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, Abra, La Union and some part of Mountain Province as his Encomienda and was accorded the title as Justicia Mayor de esta Provincia de Ylocos.
In January 1574, Salcedo returned to the capital of his Encomienda, Vigan, bringing with him some Augustian Missionaries to pioneer the evangelization of Ylocos and established a Spanish city, for the purpose of controlling the neighboring country.
Governor General Gomez Perez Darmarinas, in his Account of Encomienda dated in Manila on May 31, 1591 states: “The town of Vigan called Villa Fernandina has five or six Spanish citizens with one priest, a Justice, one Alcalde Mayor (Governor) and a Deputy. The King collects 800 tributes (equivalent to 3,200 subjects). During this period, the old Vigan was composed of 19 barrios.
In 1645-1660, Vigan was already divided into 21 Cavezas de Barangay as mentioned in the “Libro de Casamiento”, the oldest records of the parish house of Vigan found in its Archives. Separated from the naturales, the Chinese have their own place of settlement called pariancillo, “Los Sangleyes del parian” and the Spaniards were residents in a villa called “Los Españoles de la Villa”.
How Vigan got its name is told from an anecdote carried by the tongue of generations, which tells of a Spaniard walking along the banks of the Mestizo River. There, he met a native of the place and stopped to inquire: “Como se Ilama usted de esta lugar?”
Not understanding a word of Spanish, the native scratched his head and upon seeing that the Spaniard was pointing to a plant, exclaimed in Ilocano: “Bigaa Apo”. Bigaa being Alcasia Macroniza, a giant Taro plant belonging to the Gabi family which used to thrive at the bank of the Mestizo River. From the name of the plant – Bigaa, whence Vigan derived its name. (source verbatim from: http://www.vigancity.gov.ph/)
People of Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
- Vigan City Population (as of 2010 Census) = 49,747
- Vigan City Population (as of Aug 1, 2007 Census) = 47,246
- Vigan City Registered Voters (2010 COMELEC) = 27,367
- Vigan City Registered Voters (2009 COMELEC) = 26,644
The Sangguniang Panlungsod is composed of the City (Municipality) Vice-Mayor as Presiding Officer, regular Sanggunian members (Councilors), the President of the Association of Barangay Captains and the President of the Sangguniang Kabataan.
They shall exercise and perform the legislative powers and duties as provided for under Republic Act No. 7160, otherwise known as the Local Government Code of 1991. Shall consider and conduct thorough study all matters brought to their attention and consequently pass resolutions, enact ordinances and to introduce recommendations.
- Elected officials of Vigan City for the term of 2013-2016
- Mayor of Vigan City: Eva Marie Singson Medina - NACIONALISTA PARTY
- Vice-Mayor of Vigan City: Lourdes De Guzman Baquiran - NACIONALISTA PARTY
- Councilors of Vigan City:
- MEDINA, CARLO (NP) NACIONALISTA PARTY 16746 11.18%
- AGDAMAG, KISSES (NP) NACIONALISTA PARTY 14719 9.83%
- SINGSON, JP (NP) NACIONALISTA PARTY 13779 9.20%
- ORIO, JOY BENETTE (NP) NACIONALISTA PARTY 13219 8.82%
- RANCHES, FRANCISCO III (LP) LIBERAL PARTY 12068 8.06%
- BENZON, TANTE (NP) NACIONALISTA PARTY 11413 7.62%
- FIGUERRES, KRISTEN (NP) NACIONALISTA PARTY 10957 7.31%
- VERZOSA, BENJOS (NP) NACIONALISTA PARTY 9988 6.67%
- ARCE, RAMIL (NP) NACIONALISTA PARTY 9985 6.67%
- VILLANUEVA, GEORGE (NP) NACIONALISTA PARTY 9867 6.59%
- Elected officials of Vigan City for the term of 2010-2013
- Mayor of Vigan City: Eva Marie Singson Medina
- Vice-Mayor of Vigan City: Ryan Luis Verzosa Singson
- Councilors of Vigan City:
Barangay Elected Officials of Vigan City, Ilocos Sur
Businesses in Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
- How to Improve Your Business and Livelihood
The Philippine Livelihood Program: The Philippine government provides several programs to enhance the livelihood of the Filipino people. The department of Science and Technology through its Technology Research Center (TRC) regurlarly conducts various types of hands-on and personalized training programs.
- DOST - Website
- UPLiFT stands for Urban Program for Livelihood Finance and Training. - Website
- DSWD Pro-poor and Livelihood Programs - Website
Take a picture of your Business (from a Sari-Sari Store to a Mega Mall). Upload that picture here in zamboanga.com and that picture can immediately be your business webpage. It is that easy. Here are two examples of how a picture becomes the webpage of the business: Twins Fried Chicken Restaurant and ABC Shopping Center
- Give your business a good description. Add your address and contact number if available.
- Possible Businesses
- Auto, Trucks, Motorcycle and Bicycle dealers
- Banks, Lending Firms, Pawnshops, and Financial Institutions
- Clinics, Veterinary Clinics and Hospitals
- Pharmacies, Drug Stores, Agri-Vets
- Convenient Stores, Hardware and Supplies, General Stores, Sari-Sari Stores, Internet-Cafes
- Department Stores and Appliance Stores
- Supermarket, wet market, Fish Markets
- Hotels, Motels, Pension Houses, Boarding houses and Resorts
- Repair Shops: Shoe repair, Cellphone, Bikes (bicycles), motorcycles etc...
- Restaurants, Carenderias, Coffee Shops, and Bakeries (Bakeshops)
- Salons, Spas, Beauty Shops and Barber Shops
- Gas Stations, Water Stations, Propane Stations
- If you have real estate property, whether its commercial, residential, farm land, or just an empty lot in Vigan City, you can list that property for free.
- Click to VIEW, EDIT, or ADD Realty Listings.
- You can list your House and lot or farm land for sale or lease for free here.
- If you are a real estate developer, you can list your subdivision, condominiums, high rises, apartment complexes, shopping strips or malls, open market developments here for Free.
Churches, Mosques, or Places of Worship in Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
The name of your church, mosque, or place of worship can be listed here. Take a picture of the facade of your church or place of worship and it can be posted here. We can even provide you with a free webpage. You can enter the data here yourself or email the information to email@example.com
Schools in Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
School year 2015-2016 starts Monday, June 1, 2015 and ends Friday, April 1, 2016, for public elementary and secondary schools. The SY will consist of 201 school days, inclusive of the five-day In-Service Training (INSET) break. The different school events and activities, including the number of school days per quarter, are contained in Enclosure No. 1. Source: Department of Education
The name of your school in Vigan City can be listed here. You can list it like this:
- Name of School. Private or Public. It can be an elementary school, high school, college.
- Address of your school
- Telephone Number
- Principal of the school
You can also create a webpage for your school. We can help you.
Economy of Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
- If you have an article that talks about the improvement of the economy of Vigan City you can post that article here. If you come across any news items that talk about the economy of Vigan City, you may post it here. Of course you have to reference the writer of the article. Any improvement to transportation, power and service usually improves the economy of the community, so go ahead and report that too.
If you have a job available and that job is within Vigan City, Philippines, you may post it here.
Remember to be as descriptive as possible and to post your Company name, Contact person, physical address, email address and Phone number.
Post expiration of Job Application. Go ahead and Click to Insert your job offer in the "Jobs in Vigan City" page.
Natural Resources of Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
- Protect the environment
It is sad but true that as of the year 2012 the rivers of the Philippines continue to be the #1 Sewer Systems of the Philippines.
Protect & Save the Rivers. Do not let your sewer drain into the river. Your community can be the first to initiate this project.
Build your riverbank protection with a built-in gutter system. Reforest within Ten Years - Guaranteed!
Let us plant more trees in every barangay in the entire Philippines. It does not make any difference if the barangay is urban, partially urban or rural; we need more trees. Trees will prevent erosion, provide oxygen, prevent green house effect, and even a place of business for the shade tree mechanic.
The Philippines is a tropical country and practically anything will grow. The DENR has the planting trees project that goes on every year. Lots of picture taking for the media. Planting trees one by one is the "human" way of doing it. This individual planting of trees is good if done to "line" the roads and highways with trees or along fences or property divisions, or if you have a plantation.
To reforest the nation of the Philippines we have to plant trees the "mother nature" way. Sow the seeds during the rainy season. Go deep into "bald" forests and plant trees by sowing seeds. If there's not enough volunteers to do this, use the military helicopters to fly over the designated areas and sow the seeds.
Guaranteed within a few years, The Philippines will be lush again. >>Read More
We are using our rivers as our sewer system. If you ask a Filipino, "Are the Filipinos a clean people?" The answer is an automatic, "Yes!". However, the Filipinos are suffering from the same disease or attitude as most people do, and that is the "NIMBY" disease or "NIMBY" attitude. (NIMBY) Not In My Back Yard. So it is OK to dump my garbage and sewer there. Not mine! Someone else will take care of it.
This attitude is killing our rivers. Your great-grandparents, grandparents or parents were once proud to tell the stories of how they enjoyed swimming in the river behind your house or nearby. However, you can't say the same or tell the same stories to your kids or grand kids. Why? Because your generation is killing the river.
- Secretary Ramon J. P. Paje
- Department of Environment and Natural Resources
- Visayas Avenue, Diliman, 1100 Quezon City, Philippines
We have so much water in the Philippines and yet very little to drink.
Instead of relying too much on Diesel fuel and Coal to generate the majority of Philippine's Electrical energy Supply, we can concentrate more on renewable and sustainable source of energy such as: Hydro Power, Solar Power, and Wind Power. We have too many black outs.
Tourists Attractions of Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
- Help us add some of the tourist attractions of Vigan City in Z-wiki. This will help boost the local economy of Vigan City. Anything that is unique or anything that stands out in your community may be a tourist attraction.
- Landmarks are usually photographed a lot by visitors. Post the Vigan City landmarks here.
Festivals, Fiestas and Traditions of Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
Every city has some sort of a festival or tradition that is celebrated every year. In the Philippines almost all barangays that are predominantly populated by Christians celebrate fiesta. Tell us about the festivals, fiestas and traditions of Vigan City.
Featured News of The Philippines
- Philippines’ First HR Technology Fair set on September 29-30 2015
- Friday, July 31, 2015 2:12 pm
- The Philippines’ First HR Technology Fair is set to be launched on September 29-30, 2015 at the Grand Auditorium of the Philippine Stock Exchange in Ortigas Center Business District.
- Organized by HR Club Philippines and Businessmaker Academy, pioneer groups for HR education & technology, the event features top industry keynote speakers who will discuss technology adoption challenges and new trends that will improve the way people work and live ........ Full Story»
- Philippines, Russia forge new aviation deal
- Thursday, July 30, 2015 12:00 am
- MANILA, Philippines - The Philippines and Russia have inked a new air services agreement, expanding the number of flights between the two countries.
- The air services talks were held in Moscow from July 22 to 23 ........ Full Story»
- Festivals and Events in May
Pattaraday Festival-May 1–5(Santiago city) ★ Katagman Festival - May 3(Oton,Iloilo) ★ Panagat Festival-May 2–8 (Buruanga, Aklan) ★ Binatbatan Festival of the Arts - First week of May, Vigan City ★ Obando Fertility Rites - May 17, 18 & 19 Obando, Bulacan ★ Domorokdok Festival-May 4 Botolan Zambales ★ Bariw Festival- May 14–15 Nabas, Aklan ★ Pahiyas Festival - May 15, Lucban, Quezon ★ Agawan Festival - May 15, Sariaya, Quezon ★ Araquio Festival - May, Gen.Tinio, Nueva Ecija ★ Pasayahan sa Lucena (St. Ferdinand) -May 30, Lucena, Philippines ★ Samahang Bulaklakan Festival - Last Sunday of May, Siniloan, Laguna ★ Tapusan Float Parade Festival - May 31, Alitagtag, Batangas ★ Festivity of Saint Michael - May 7–8 San Miguel, Panganiban, Catanduanes [Louie B. dela Cruz] ★ Binirayan Festival - May 1, San Jose de Buenavista, Antique ★ Araña`t Baluarte Festival- May 15 Gumaca, Quezon ★ Pista ng Banal na Krus- Every 2nd Saturday of May, Tanza, Navotas City ★ Pangisraan Festival- May 1–10 Calatrava, Romblon ★ Ati-atihan Festival - Last Saturday of May - Brgy. 7, Fermont Village, Victorias City, Neg. Occ. ★ Pastulan Festival- Every 2nd Saturday of May. San Pascual, Batangas
- Pinoy junior tankers compete in Singapore meet
- Friday, July 31, 2015 12:00 am
- A crack roster of junior tankers from the Philippine Swimming League vies against the best in the region in the Singapore Invitational Swimming Championship, which gets under way tomorrow at the Singapore Island Country Club in Singapore.
- The Philippine contingent is eyeing at least 30 gold medals in various divisions of the four-day event with PSL president Susan Papa pinning her hopes on veteran campaigners Sean Terence Zamora, Kyla Soguilon, Martin Jacob Pupos, Micaela Jasmine Mojdeh and Marc Bryan Dula ................................ Full Story»
Your Story about Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
Create you own personal page about the barangay in the municipality or City you live in. Title it like so for specificity: "Mybarangay, MyCityMunicipality, Myprovince, Philippines by MyFirstname Mylastname". You can update and edit this page anytime and anyway you want. It does not have to follow the standard format of the main wiki. It is your page. A link to your page will be inserted in this main barangay page. Here is an example page.
If you want the tittle to be more generic then do this: "Philippines by Your name". You can insert your picture of anywhere in the Philippines in this page. This will be your personal WIKI social media page.
You can talk about your personal experiences, your advocacies, the environmental conditions of your barangay, municipality, city or province.
The oldest man or woman in Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines
Do know who the oldest man or woman is in your community of Vigan City? Zamboanga.com is starting this inquiry in order to honor the older generation of the Philippines. Please provide the full name and date of birth of the elder living in Vigan City. We will then post your entry in the Oldest Man or Woman in the Philippines page.
Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines supports Philippine Cycling
Philippine Cycling is about cycling in the Philippnes. Philippine Cycling helps promote bike races, cycling clubs, bicycle tours, and the development of bicycle trails. Activities are coordinated with bike shops and cycling clubs throughout the Philippines to promote the fun of riding bikes. Philippine Cycling will be coordinating events with tour of Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. Road biking and mountain bikings will be promoted by Philippine Cycling.
Cycling Activity to Participate In
Your cycling activity can be posted here and it will be shown in all the Provincial, City, Municipal and Barangay pages. Your 2015 Cycling Race or Activity can be Posted here.
- ILOILO CITY, April 27-May 2, 2015 (PNA) – Some 5,000 bikers are expected to join the second Iloilo Bike Festival slated April 27-May 2, 2015 as the city continues to aspire to become a bike-able walkable metropolis. The activity that supported by the John B. Lacson Foundation Maritime University (JBLFMU) and Megaworld Iloilo aims to promote Iloilo as a safe and bike friendly city, promote the share-a-road movement encourage Ilonggos to commute via biking and raise Ilonggos awareness on the benefits of biking on health, safety and environment concerns. Read More....
- CYCLING Le Tour de Filipinas 2015 set as country celebrates 60 years of top-caliber cycling Feb 1 to Feb 4 2015 - View the result of the race: A four stage race. Stage 1 starts in Balanga and back to Balanga for a 126K race Feb 1, 2015 (Sunday); stage 2 starts in Balanga, Bataan to Iba, Zambales for a 154.7 K race Feb 2, 2015 (Monday); stage 3 starts in Iba, Zambales to Lingayen, Pangasinan for a 150.1K race Feb 3, 2015 (Tuesday); stage 4 starts in Lingayen, Pangasinan to Baguio City, Benguet for a 101.7K race Feb 4, 2015 (Wednesday). For a total distance of 532.5 Kms. Read More >>>
- Ronda Pilipinas: Feb 8 - 27 2015:>> Discovering young riders for the national team will be the main objective of the LBC Ronda Pilipinas 2015 when the country’s premiere cycling race hits the road on Feb. 8 in Butuan City. Ronda Pilipinas executive project director Moe Chulani said the international multistage bikathon, which ends on Feb. 27, will have two qualifying legs of four stages each in Mindanao and the Visayas where the top riders will advance to face a tough foreign challenge in the six-stage Luzon finale. Read More>>>
- Do this so your photo upload will be properly categorized for Vigan City.
- Copy and paste the code below in "GREEN" to the body or "Summary" of the image file that you are uploading.
[[Category:Vigan City, Ilocos Sur Photo Gallery]]
[[Category:Ilocos Sur, Philippines Photo Gallery]]
*[[Vigan City, Ilocos Sur, Philippines]]
Most of the contents in this site are taken from the Department of Tourism, Comelec, National Statistical Coordination Board, DILG: Department of the Interior and Local Government, (LGU) government sites, online news, and other content sites about the specific community. This page does not serve as the official website of the community but rather compliments and helps the community to promote tourism and attract investors.
This is an interactive and collaborative webpage, meant to help promote this community and showcase it to the world via the internet.
This wiki page follows a format. The editor of this wiki page reserves the right to change formats, edit, or delete entries that may be considered as offensive, vulgar or not for the betterment of this wiki page.