DAR to establish peanut processing center in Liloy town
- Source: https://pia.gov.ph/news/articles/1013022
- Monday, September 24, 2018
- By Alfonso T. Ruda (EDT/ATR/PIA9-Zamboanga del Norte/with report from DAR-ZN)
LILOY, Zamboanga del Norte (PIA) -- A peanut processing center will be soon operational here.
A groundbreaking ceremony was held recently at Barangay Goin, Liloy town by the Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR) for the construction of a peanut processing center.
This will be implemented through the Village Level Farm-focused Enterprise Development (VLFED) Project which will benefit some 85 members of Goin Agrarian Reform Beneficiaries Multi-Purpose Cooperative (GARBEMCO).
The groundbreaking ceremony was led by Regional Director Julita A. Ragandang, Assistant Regional Directors lawyer Ramon Madronal, Jr. and Engr Agnes Maata with Mayor Roberto L. Uy, Jr. of Liloy town.
The total project cost is about P439,200 with a counterpart from the local government unit of Liloy. 68% of the total amount will be shouldered by DAR while the remaining 32% will come from the LGU-Liloy.
The VLFED Project aims to produce peanut products compliant with the Food and Drug Administration-Licensed to Operate (FDA-LTO) and create additional livelihood opportunities for the farmer beneficiaries who have limited capital and don’t have sufficient income.
As a manifestation of their total commitment of support for the implementation of the project, a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) signing also took place during the ground-breaking.
Among the signatories of the MOA are DAR-9 Regional Director Julita Ragandang, Zamboanga del Norte Provincial Agrarian Reform Program Officer II Arturo Soria, DTI-Zamboanga del Norte Provincial Director Maridel Dengal, DOST-Zamboanga del Norte head Merilyn Cadag, VLFED Point Person Eva Soropia, GARBEMCO Chairman Roberto Callao, Liloy Mayor Roberto L. Uy Jr., and Goin Barangay Chairman Hilario Años.
The MOA signing was witnessed by other DAR regional and provincial employees, DTI and DOST employees, municipal and barangay officials, employees and GARBEMCO members.