• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
accept the bitter to get better
Events - What's Up?
- Current Events in the Philippines:
- Festivals in the month of November in the philippines
Adivay: November : La Trinidad, Benquet ★ Banaag Festival: November 1 : Anilao, Iloilo ★ P'yagsawitan Festival: November 3rd week: Maragusan Compostela Valley ★ Binabayani Festival: November Last week: Olongapo, Zamboales ★ Tan-OK ni Ilocano Festival: November third week: Ilocos Norte ★ Crown Festival: November 3rd week: Taytay, Rizal ★ Tumba (Candle) Festival: November 2: San Luis, Batangas ★ Pinta Flores Festival: November 3 to 5: San Carlos City, Negros Occidental ★ San Carlos City Fiesta: November 4: San Carlos City, Negros Occidental ★ Angono Arts Festival: November 5 to 25: Angono, Rizal ★
- World Wide Events:
- January 6: A Christian feast celebrating the manifestation of the divine nature of Jesus to the Gentiles as represented by the Magi, the three wise men from the east, or the three kings.
- February 14: Valentines day
- Earth Day April 22: Earth Day is celebrated in the US on April 22. It is a day designed to inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth's environment. It was founded by U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson as an environmental teach-in in 1970 and is celebrated in many countries every year. This date is Spring in the Northern Hemisphere and Autumn in the Southern Hemisphere. (From:Wikipedia)
- Memorial Day - Memorial Day, originally called Decoration Day, is a day of remembrance for those who have died in the service of the nation of the United States of America.
- Actual date of Celebration is May 30. But it is celebrated on the last Monday in the month May.
- Mother's Day- 2nd Sunday of May: Mother's Day is celebrated to honor all mothers and express gratitude for the hardships they bear in bringing up a child. Most countries including US, Australia, Canada and India celebrate Mothers Day on the second Sunday of May.
- Mother Day came into being due to the efforts made by Ms Julia Ward Howe and Ms Anna Jarvis. The Resolution for having a dedicated 'Mother's Day was signed by US President Woodrow Wilson on May 8, 1914. Since then people across the world have been celebrating Mothers Day with joy and devotion.
- Father's Day - 3rd Sunday of June: President Lyndon Johnson signed a Presidential Proclamation declaring the third Sunday of June as Father's Day in 1966. Then in 1972, President Richard Nixon established a permanent national observance of Father's Day to be held on the third Sunday of June.
- Philippines' independece day is currently celebrated on the 12th of June. It was on the 4th of July.
- The 4th of July: Independence day of the United States of America.
Each country celebrates arbor when ther wheather it is conducive for planting trees. Visit the official website of Arbor day to get the day when each country celebrates arbor day:
Christianity celebrates Easter on the Sunday following Good Friday. Easter seldom falls on the same date. The dates can vary between the months of March and April. The computation for the celebration of easter is based on the Paschal Moon (The passover celebration). Hence, Easter is celebrated on the Sunday following the Paschal Full Moon.
April 12, 2009 - Easter Sunday (Western Christianity - Roman Catholic, Anglican Communion, Protestant Churches, etc.)
April 19, 2009 - Easter Sunday (Orthodox Christianity - Eastern Orthodox Churches)
April 8, 2012 - Easter Sunday (Western Christianity - Roman Catholic, Anglican Communion, Protestant Churches, etc.)
- In the U.S.A. labor day is celebrated on the 1st Monday of September.
- In the Philippines - Labor Day is on May 1st
Grandparents Day - First Sunday after Labor Day
The impetus for a National Grandparents Day originated with Marian McQuade, a housewife in Fayette County, West Virginia. Her primary motivation was to champion the cause of lonely elderly in nursing homes. She also hoped to persuade grandchildren to tap the wisdom and heritage their grandparents could provide. President Jimmy Carter, in 1978, proclaimed that National Grandparents Day would be celebrated every year on the first Sunday after Labor Day.
Hari Raya rarely falls on the same date. "Hari Raya Haji (Aidil Adha) falls on 10 Zulhijjah, the 10th day of the 12th month of the Muslim calendar. The Muslim calendar, with the months alternating between 29 and 30 days, is 11 days shorter than the 365-day Gregorian calendar.
On this day, which is also known as the Festival of Sacrifice, Muslims worldwide sacrifice sheep, cows or camels for the sake of religion and community. It is done in remembrance of the sacrifice undertaken by Prophet Ibrahim, who was ready to sacrifice his son Ismail, but a ram appeared in his place at the last moment.
Hari Raya Haji also marks the end of the pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca. Muslims gather in Mecca to perform the pilgrimage, which is the fifth pillar of Islam."
- Article copied verbatim from wikipedia
Pentecost (Ancient Greek: Πεντηκοστή [ἡμέρα], Pentēkostē [hēmera], "the Fiftieth [day]") is a prominent feast in the calendar of Ancient Israel celebrating the giving of the Law on Sinai, and also later in the Christian liturgical year commemorating the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the remaining eleven Apostles of Christ (Judas had hanged himself), included in the 12 Disciples in the Upper Room, after the Resurrection of Jesus. The feast is also called Whit Sunday, Whitsun, or Whit, especially in the United Kingdom, where the following Monday was traditionally a holiday. Pentecost is celebrated seven weeks (50 days) after Easter Sunday, hence its name. Pentecost falls on the tenth day after Ascension Thursday. Among Christians, Pentecost commemorates the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the Twelve apostles and other followers of Jesus as described in the Acts of the Apostles 2:1-31. For this reason, Pentecost is sometimes described as the "Birthday of the Church." The Pentecostal movement of Christianity derives its name from the New Testament event.
- More on the Pentecost: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RP-50/