PRO-9: Zamboanga del Norte businessman abducted in 2017 still alive

From Philippines
Jump to: navigation, search
By Roel Pareño (philstar.com)

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Philippines — Regional police have confirmed having proof of life for a businessman taken captive by the Abu Sayyaf in Sulu in 2017.

Chief Superintendent Emmanuel Luis Licup, director of Police Regional Office 9, said businessman Jelster Ed Tiu Quimbo, 28, is still alive and is still being held by the Abu Sayyaf.

Quimbo, son of Mayor Eddie Quimbo of Labason town, Zamboanga del Norte was abducted in the town proper by six gunmen on September 6, 2017.

His kidnappers later brought him to the Abu Sayyaf.

Licup made the assurance after Marines rescued coconut plantation owner Jose Duterte, 66, who was abducted along with his wife on March 3, 2017.

Duterte was rescued in Panamao, Sulu on Thursday. Duterte's wife, Jessica, 52, was released on October 31, 2017. The couple are not related to President Rodrigo Duterte.

"What we have at hand is that we have proof of life of Quimbo," Licup said. He also said that he had been informed two weeks ago that the abducted businessman was able to talk to his family regularly.

The police official said efforts to recover the victim as well as others that the Abu Sayyaf is holding captive. Quimbo is one of six Filipinos and two foreigners being held by the Abu Sayyaf in Sulu.