Punong Barangay - Chairman or Captain
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF BARANGAY CHAIRMAN
For the benefit of the community below are sections from the LOCAL GOVERNMENT CODE OF 1991 pertaining to the duties and responsibilities of Barangay Chairman
CHAPTER 3 - THE Punong Barangay
SECTION. 389. Chief Executive: Powers, Duties, and Functions. –
- The Punong Barangay, as the chief executive of the Barangay government, shall exercise such powers and perform such duties and functions, as provided by this Code and other laws.
- For efficient, effective and economical governance, the purpose of which is the general welfare of the Barangay and its inhabitants pursuant to Section 16 of this Code, the Punong Barangay shall:
- Enforce all laws and ordinances which are applicable within the Barangay;
- Negotiate, enter into, and sign contracts for and in behalf of the Barangay, upon authorization of the Sangguniang Barangay;
- Maintain public order in the Barangay and, in pursuance thereof, assist the city or municipal mayor and the sanggunian members in the performance of their duties and functions;
- Call and preside over the sessions of the Sangguniang Barangay and the Barangay assembly, and vote only to break a tie;
- Upon approval by a majority of all the members of the Sangguniang Barangay, appoint or replace the Barangay treasurer, the Barangay secretary, and other appointive Barangay officials;
- Organize and lead an emergency group whenever the same may be necessary for the maintenance of peace and order or on occasions of emergency or calamity within the Barangay;
- In coordination with the Barangay development council, prepare the annual executive and supplemental budgets of the Barangay;
- Approve vouchers relating to the disbursement of Barangay funds;
- Enforce laws and regulations relating to pollution control and protection of the environment;
- Administer the operation of the Katarungang PamBarangay in accordance with the provisions of this Code;
- Exercise general supervision over the activities of the Sangguniang Kabataan;
- Ensure the delivery of basic services as mandated under Section 17 of this Code;
- Conduct an annual palarong Barangay which shall feature traditional sports and disciplines included in national and international games, in coordination with the Department of Education, Culture and Sports;
- Promote the general welfare of the Barangay; and
- Exercise such other powers and perform such other duties and functions as may be prescribed by law or ordinance.
- In the performance of his peace and order functions, the Punong Barangay shall be entitled to possess and carry the necessary firearm within his territorial jurisdiction, subject to appropriate rules and regulations.
Qualification to be a Punong Barangay - Chairman or Captain
Candidates for punong barangay must be eighteen years of age, bona fide citizens of the Philippines and have at least six months' residency in the concerned barangay prior to the election. They must also be literate, have no criminal records, be mentally fit and knowledgeable of the Philippine law. All individuals who have been declared insane or have been sentenced for corruption, rebellion or have received any sanction of more than eighteen months will be automatically disqualified.
BATAS PAMBANSA BLG. 337
http://www.lawphil.net/statutes/bataspam/bp1983/bp_337_1983.html ARTICLE FOUR CITY/MUNICIPALITY AND BARANGAY
Section 21. City/Municipality Supervision over Barangay Affairs. - The City/Municipality, through the City/Municipality mayor, shall have primary responsibility for general supervision over the government of every barangay within its territorial jurisdiction to ensure that it acts within the scope of its assigned powers and functions.
Section 22. Review of Barangay Ordinances and Resolutions. - The Sangguniang panlungsod shall review all ordinances and resolutions duly approved by the sangguniang barangay to ensure that they are within the powers granted by law and in conformity with the City/Municipality ordinances.
Section 23. Barangay Improvement; Recommendations. - The sangguniang barangay may submit to the sangguniang panlungsod such suggestions or recommendations as it may see fit for the improvement of the barangay and for the welfare of its inhabitants.