Separation of Church and State
"Let there be freedom of religion, but keep religion separate from government. A country that bows down to the laws of religion will one day be governed by religion." fhm

Zamboanga City Tourist Attractions

From Universal Stewardship
Jump to: navigation, search

Zamboanga City Tourist Attractions

Zamboanga City has approximately 130 kilometers of coastline. Incredible! No other city in the Philippines has this beautiful potentiality for coastline developments.

Pasonanca Park

The construction of Pasonanca Park started in 1912 by then governor of Mindanao John J. Pershing, who has a plaza named after him in the middle of downtown Zamboanga City.

One of the country’s premier attractions is the Pasonanca Park, located at the outskirt of the city, about six kilometers from the city proper. It is referred to as the Little Baguio of the South. The park was developed in 1912, under Pershing’s administration with one swimming pool. Pasonanca is nestled about five hundred feet above sea level surrounded by rolling hills and verdant mountains. Two other pools were constructed under Mayor Climaco’s time. It likewise houses the famous tree house built in 1960, the butterfly sanctuary and the aviary which showcases different bird species including the Philippine Monkey Eating Eagle. >>>Read more and view some pictures....

Fort Pilar

The early 1500s brought along the Spaniards and their Catholic religion into the Philippine Islands, in search of spices and riches. The Spanish's recorded presence in Jambangan can be dated as far back as November 1596, when a small Spanish settlement and garrison was established in the port of La Caldera, the present-day Caldera Bay area barrio called Recodo, located about fifteen miles north-east of present downtown Zamboanga City.

Built in June 23, 1635, it is a silent witness to many battles fought by the Spaniards against the Moros. A witness to the heroic courage of Zamboangueños for their love of freedom. It is a home to legions of devotees who pay tribute to the miraculous Nuestra Señora La Virgen del Pilar. Read On

Paseo Del Mar

Paseo del Mar is within the barangay of Zone IV and is only about 100 feet from Fort Pilar.

Cawa Cawa Blvd.

With constant cleaning this beach can be a great weekend getaway for swimming and picnic.

Tourist Attractions ARCILLAS BEACH - Distance: 7 kms. from the city proper. Mode of transport: Taxi cabs, shuttles, cars and jeepneys bound for Calarian and Ayala Fare: P6.50 per person (jeepney) P20.00 per person (shuttle) Attractions: Eating sheds/water available; stony, gray sand beach with numerous coconuts and other fruit trees near the shoreline; a good picnic ground.

CARAGASAN BEACH - Distance: 12 kms. from the city proper. Mode of transport: taxi cabs, shuttles, cars, and jeepneys bound for Ayala and the west coast. Fare: P10.00 per person (jeepney) P20.00 per person (shuttle) Facilities: Chanting rooms, eating sheds, and tables for rent at P20-40/table; eateries are likewise available. Attractions: Gray sand beach, ideal for swimming; sunset can be viewed from this area, adding to it is a very considerable charm and character.

MALANDI BEACH - Distance: 30 kms from the city proper, private beach area. Mode of transport Cars, jeepneys, taxi cabs, shuttles bound for Labuan. Fare: P20.00 per person (jeepney or bus) Facilities Privately owned beach house, complete facilities, prior reservation needs contact with the Department of Tourism –9. Attractions Gray sand beach, ideal for swimming, fishing and skin diving. BOLONG BEACH - Distance 32-96 kms from the city proper. Mode of transport Cars, buses taken from Tomas Claudio Extension, shuttles. Fare P35.00 per person (shuttle). Facilities eating sheds Attractions Highlight in going to Bolong is a fish market which comes alive every Sunday, the village’s market day and one can get a clear view of the neighboring islands such as Sacol . One passes through roads blooming

Plaza Pershing - A ground for special events, this was originally called the Plaza de Don Juan Salcedo, Spain’s great conquistador. It was renamed Plaza Pershing in honor of Gen. John J. “Blackjack” Pershing who was loved and respected by the Zamboangueños for his achievements.

City Hall – The construction of this building started in 1905 and was completed in 1907 by the Federal Government of the United States of America. The building served to be the official residence of the US military Governor for Mindanao. Today, this serves as the City Hall of Zamboanga where the city mayor holds office.

Petit Barracks - Pettit Barracks was the headquarters and home of the Spanish soldiers until it was turned over to the American troops in 1899, the place was developed into a beautiful barracks, home of the American soldiers and it was named after Col. James S. Pettit of the 31st Infantry U.S. Volunteer Commanding Officer who became the Inspector General and in-charge of civil Affairs of Zamboanga.

Mayor Climaco Freedom Park - A trip to Pasonanca Park is incomplete without visiting Mayor CCesar limaco FREEDOM PARK formerly the Abong-Abong Park. Located on upper Pasonanca with a panoramic view of the city. It can be reached by jeepney on a 15 minute ride. Going up the hills one can see the fourteen Stations of the Cross. Today, it is the most popular site to spend the Lenten Season.

Japanese Memorial Shrine - There are two Japanese Memorial Shrines in the city. One is located in Pasonanca Park which is 7 kilometers from the city proper. Another is located in Malagutay which is 11 kilometers from the city proper. The shrines are made of marble that came from Japan with names engraved on it in Japanese character. The names engraved are those of the Japanese soldiers who died during the World War II as they were retreating from the liberating US Forces.

Climaco Freedom Park - 7.5 kilometers from the City Proper. The park is a hiking distance away from Pasonanca Park and some 7.5 kilometers away from the city. A project developed by the City Government of Zamboanga and spearheaded by the late Mayor Cesar C. Climaco. The park is more or less 7.5 kilometers away from center city and is accessible by a 10-15-minute ride via a public utility or any vehicle. It is ideally located in a valley where one can have the sights of the mountains and panoramic view of the city.

Some of its popular attractions are a campsite for Boy and Girl Scouts, a natural swimming hole called Chrislam Pool, Heroes Hill in honor of World War II soldiers, the Freedom’s Eternal Shrine in honor of the late Sen. Benigno Aqui8no, and the Ecumenical or Holy Hill where the 14 Stations of the Cross can be found leading up to the giant white cross at the top of the hill. The park also serves as the final resting place of the late city mayor Cesar C. Climaco.

Yellow Beach - About 8 kms. from city center via jeepneys & minibuses from public market Landing site of US Liberation Forces under Maj. Gen. Jens A. Doe on March 10, 1945. The Americans named the beachhead Yellow Beach for operational identification. Japanese resistance collapsed on April 2 with Filipino guerillas effectively collaborating with US Forces. The beach is in Sinunuc, about 8 kms. west of the city center.

San Ramon Prison & Penal Farm (22-kms. west of city proper) - A 19th century Spanish-built prison penal farm about 22 kms. along the city's west coast accesible via jeepneys or mini-buses from downtown. First set up by the Spaniards as an experimental agricultural extension facility.

Great Sta. Cruz Island - Known for its pinkish sand beach which gets its unique hue from coral bits washed up from the sea bottom. On the island is a fishing village, a lagoon, and an old Muslim burial ground. Characterized by extensive and varied aquatic life, coral heads and rocks support a wide array of tropical fish. The island is ideal for swimming, skin/scuba diving, beachcombing, and sunbathing. Facilities on the island include dressing rooms, toilets, picnic sheds, and cooking areas. As it is a coral island, drinking water is not readily available. As such, swimmers are advised to take along drinking water and food. They are also advised to wear canvas or plastic shoes/slippers to protect their feet from sharp rocks and coral shards. Sta. Cruz Island is 15 minutes away from either the Lantaka Hotel or the Golf course beach at 600/trip (roundtrip) in a vessel which carries 6-15 persons. It is only about 4 kilometers from Zamboanga mainland Entrance fee is P20/person and shed rentals range from P100 - P500.

Zamboanga Beach Park - Distance: 6.5 kms. from the city proper Transport: Cars, jeepneys, & motorized tricycles bound for Calarian. P20/head entrance fee (adults) and P10(children) - day rate; P40 night rate. Facilities: Social hall P350; Family-type picnic sheds P210; Small sheds P105; picnic tables, P50; shower rooms, eateries, picnic grills, children's playground, bancas for rent.

La Vista del Mar Beach - Distance: 7kms. from the city proper Transport: Cars, jeepneys, & motorized tricycles bound for Calarian or Sinunuc. Facilities: Cottages (closed/fully-airconditionec) P3.500; open Pavilion P1.100, P1.500-1.600 to include lights; picnic huts P500-600; family hut PI,100; triangular deck with tables.

TaIuksangay Village - about 19 kms. east of the city, accessible by jeepneys and minibuses A Sama village made more picturesque and majestic by golden minarets towering over a lagoon and luxuriant green brushlands. Villagers are engaged in fishing, seaweed farming, and firewood-gathering from vast swamplands nearby. An interesting site is its "floating village" made up of little houses on stilts above the water.

Zamboanga Barter Markets - There are 4 barter markets: BCC Shopping Center in Baliwasan, Sta. Cruz Market, Port Area, and Canelar. These are where one can shop for imported merchandise from Europe, the US, Indonesia, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Taiwan and the People's Republic of China. On sale are textiles, houseware, blankets, batik cloth, umbrellas, toys, canned goods, toiletries, and electronic items.

Campo Muslim - Rio Hondo - Sahaya - 3 kms. from the city, accessible by jeepneys and tricycles. A colony of coastal Tausugs, Samas, and Badjaos living in frail-looking houses on stilts situated about 200 meters from Fort Pilar, Campo Muslim can easily be located by its silver-dome mosque. To reach the other area known as Rio Hondo, one has to cross the wooden bridge that spans the narrow river that has given this part of the village its present name - Rio Hondo - meaning deep river. Inside Rio Hondo is a human settlement project of the government called Sahaya. It sits on a 23-hect-are tract of mangrove.

Zamboanga Golf Course & Beach Park - Approx. 6 kms. on the west coast, accessible by jeeyneys and minibuses. Originally known as the Zamboanga Golf and Country Club when it was founded in June 1910 by Gov. John "Blackjack" Pershing of the Moro Province. This is one of the oldest golf courses in the Philippines with Pershing himself as the club's first president. This course has a fine layout with winding fairways, dogleg situations, and good greens planted to Tifton 228. Its bunkers have the pinkish sand from Sta. Cruz Island. Although Zamboanga's first nine is somewhat flat in terrain, the second is fairly rolling, skirting around the Basilan Strait for a bit of ocean view. Interesting rounds await the average golfer or seasoned campaigner, as flexibility is assured with long tee mounds. The course has elevated greens which can be tricky for their small size and rolling make-up. The course has 18 holes in 64 hectares.

Metropolitan Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception City Proper - A new landmark of Zamboanga City completed in December 1999. It is perhaps the country's most modern cathedral and the only one with an elevator. Summary: 2-storey Cathedral accessible by ramp & side stairs; Cruciform design accented elliptical/oval forms in the shape of candles - 3 at main entrance (foot of cruciform) and 1 each at 3 other ends of the cruciform Ground Floor: Area - 2,303.77 sq. m.; 400-500 capacity Day Chapel; 536 sq. m. Conference Room; 250 capacity Perpetual Adoration Chapel; 355 sq. m. Crypt; Public and Clergy Offices Second Floor: Area - 2,276.82 sq. m.; 1,600 to 2,000 capacity Main Cathedral; 250 each capacity Baptistry and Blessed Sacrament Chapel; 116 sq. m. Sacristy; highly proportional Sanctuary and Altar, elevated Bishop's Chair, ample area for Ordination ceremonies; approached by Front Ramps, side stairs, and winding stairs.

Weaving Village - 7 kms. on the west coast, accessible by jeepneys & minibuses bound for Sinunucor Ayala. The Yakans, the original inhabitants of Basilan, are considered among the finest weavers in the Philippines. The Yakan weave is so fine that it takes a week to finish a meter of cloth. The Yakan cloth commands a high price in well-known trade centers in the Philippines because of its craftsmanship.

Assemblyman Joaquin F. Enriquez Memorial Complex - A sports complex of 5.75 hectares considered one of the most modern in the country. Ten contractors and 1,500 workers joined hands to complete the facility in time for the March 6, 1992 Palarong Pambansa (National Games). Total construction cost was a little over P64-million. The latest synthetic rubberized coating known as Super AG was used for the oval, only the second in the world after one in Saudi Arabia.